Hi im looking for a tube amp under 50 watts, preferably something i can get for about £300 used. I play stuff like hit the lights, mayday parade, paramore. I want to replace my current amp, a Laney VC15, because it isn't modern sounding enough.

Here is the tone i am aiming for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBAHNV4-DOQ

ignore the video, i didnt make it.

An amp which I tried a while ago and really liked is the orange rocker 30. Its too expensive, so does anyone know any amps with a similar distortion sound to this amp?
Last edited by doubtfull at Feb 18, 2009,
Peavey Classic 30 + Overdrive pedal............
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

This, or Vox AC15 + overdrive pedal could work too. That tone is just delicious.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

I always thought the peavey classic 30 + 50 were more vintage sounding amps? and what overdrive pedal? tubescreamer?
Quote by GNRjungle87
This, or Vox AC15 + overdrive pedal could work too. That tone is just delicious.

At the moment i have a laney vc15, isn't that like a copy of the Vox ac series? my tone at the moment isn't modern sounding enough.
Quote by doubtfull
I always thought the peavey classic 30 + 50 were more vintage sounding amps? and what overdrive pedal? tubescreamer?

TS9 its more modern sounding or a Fulltone OCD or a Robert Keeley Modded TS9
feel free to add me
Quote by doubtfull
At the moment i have a laney vc15, isn't that like a copy of the Vox ac series? my tone at the moment isn't modern sounding enough.

Oh ok.

The Classic 30 + a Tubescreamer would sound really good for good modern tones. Also maybe look into a used Mesa DC-3 or F-30, they might actually give you the tone you're looking for.
^he is in the UK so i didnt suggest "teh usualz"
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^he is in the UK so i didnt suggest "teh usualz"

Oh forgot he was in the UK.

Ok, Classic 30 + overdrive is probably the best choice then.
Okay, thanks for the suggestions, I'll see if i can try the amp out soon. Anyone else have any ideas?
Quote by doubtfull
Anyone else have any ideas?

Have you tried boosting your Laney? Or adding an EQ?
Quote by gregs1020

What do you mean by "boosting"? and you mean an EQ pedal? the only problem with my laney i think is the voicing isn't modern enough.
^ he means with a clean boost, ovredrive pedal, etc.

Quote by gregs1020

+1

the c30 is possibly slightly more modern-sounding than the vc15, but not a lot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by doubtfull
What do you mean by "boosting"? and you mean an EQ pedal? the only problem with my laney i think is the voicing isn't modern enough.

Dave got what I meant but I should have been more detailed with my post. By using an overdrive pedal and eq together you can tighten up your loose ends. You can get rid of some of the flabby characteristics of the amp you don't currently like. It helps make a more vintage voiced amp sound a bit more modern (tight). It's not the end all by any means, but it may get you where you want to go without changing amps.
yeah. even a not too br00tal distortion pedal could be used, if it's really not modern enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
about paramore?... lots, about the amp? no.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
about paramore?... lots, about the amp? no.

when i saw another reply on the post i thought it might be something witty. alas, i was wrong
What Greg and Dave said (OD and EQ pedal) and would you also consider a compressor? That might help tighten things up a bit.

Also, don't bump your thread unless it's more than 24 hours old.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales