Poll: What's the main component in a solo?
Poll Options
View poll results: What's the main component in a solo?
Tone
38 20%
Emotion
106 56%
Skill
25 13%
Other
19 10%
Voters: 188.
Page 1 of 2
Which of these is the most important component in a guitar solo? I personally think tone has a huge part in a solo. Any solo I play, no matter how technical will sound **** if I haven't got the tone right.

What do you think Pit?
Tone, Emotion. Skill isn't really needed as much imo. Well of course it's needed to even play the solo but I rarely fall for a solo for it's complexity or skill required.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Gary Moore.

He is all three.

Edit: But seriously, all three are pretty important, but I don't think skill should be the top priority. Like John Petrucci's solo in The Spirit Carries On has technical skill, but it's also emotional, it builds up to that shreddy bit. I prefer that to an Yngwie Malmsteen "HOLY SHIT, LOOK WHAT I CAN DO" song
Last edited by Minkaro at Feb 17, 2009,
I'd honestly go tone, emotion, skill, but really, a guitarist is empty without all 3.

Quote by Minkaro
Gary Moore.

He is all three.

Maybe tone and emotion, but anything I've seen of his was extremely easy in technical terms. Prove me wrong?
Last edited by synpet713192 at Feb 17, 2009,
I said other.

Other being all of the above.
Without Emotion, there is no feeling to the passage, the notes are flat (figuratively speaking) and the love for the music dies. Without skill, you cannot articulate yourself properly, without tone, you'll just sound like crap, despite you playing the comfortably numb solo.
hue
It's a mix of all of them. But I'd say emotion is the thing that separates the good from the bad solos.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
The notes have to be good ones.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
a nice even mix of all three.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Emotion definitely. The best solo I have ever hear is the one in Tuesday's Gone by Lynyrd Skynyrd. It is really simple, but what makes it so good IMO, is the emotion. This is why I like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Kenny Wayne Shepherd so much, both played/play with amazing feel.
Quote by synpet713192
I'd honestly go tone, emotion, skill, but really, a guitarist is empty without all 3.

Maybe tone and emotion, but anything I've seen of his was extremely easy in technical terms. Prove me wrong?

I would like to hear you doing vibrato like him. like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V48_CvbHP8
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Last edited by Daneeka at Feb 17, 2009,
I prefer skill, for one. But all three are needed to make a good guitarist.

"Emotion" is merely a subset of skill and tone. In order to inspire emotion in a listener with your vibrato or bends, you must have that skill and the right tone. Stop making it seeem like there's this spiritual side to guitar playing. There isn't.

I'm going to go with tone.
#DTWD
I think you missed out on one; YOU NEED A F*CKIN' GUITAR TO PLAY A SOLO!

And emotion, skills and tone. Of course.
If you don't have skill you can't play ****.
Why the **** do you even need emotion if you can't even play the guitar
I'd say writing skill is most important, not so much the ability to shred but the ability to write a good solo, emotion isn't that important, it's just a word we use to describe players who use vibrato and pull funny faces when it comes down to it. Tone is just a cherry on top for me.

Quote by Minkaro

Love that song. Would love to be able to play the really fast run he does.
Last edited by aaciseric at Feb 17, 2009,
The most important thing ina guitar solo is awesome. If it hasn't got that, then it's crap.
Quote by Vitor_vdp
thanks dude !!!
People don't need music with so much emotion, they want something that sounds good, and for a lot of us here in UG, some technique.

That really wasn't what he was saying at all.
a mix of all three really... Like watch Zakk Wylde's "In This River" and "Farewell ballad". His tone is great (except for the wah filled fast bits), his skill is great, and you can really tell how much feeling he puts into them!

[Insert example of another guitarist here]
lol
All 3.
Without sufficient skill or a decent tone, you can't express yourself musically and the brilliant ideas you might have will never become more than ideas, but without "emotion" you have nothing to express... Unless you feel that simply showing that you have great skill or tone will result in an interesting musical statement, which imho is hardly ever the case.
Quote by Minkaro
For some reason, you've reminded me of Richie Sambora.

Skill - Dry County, Next 100 Years, Mr. Sambo

Emotion - Stranger In This Town, Bed Of Roses (opening solo especially)

Tone - EVERYWHAR.

I think Always is his best song tonewise, because he gets dat funky sound. I concur comepletely with your post though.
Quote by primusfan
"Emotion" is merely a subset of skill and tone. In order to inspire emotion in a listener with your vibrato or bends, you must have that skill and the right tone. Stop making it seeem like there's this spiritual side to guitar playing. There isn't.

I'm going to go with tone.

ugh... i don't know why, but that just didn't sit well with me. What about the "fun" factor of playing a solo? If you are having a good time playing it, wont you put an extra emotional effort into it, making it sound better? Can't you "feel" the music with your emotions as you play it? Sure, tone and skill can be locked in and not changed, but your emotion while playing a solo is ever-adapting.

I'm not trying to be rude, just voicing my opinion
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Depends on the genre.

A solo in a metal song is most likely very dependent on technical skill and miscellaneous wankery, while a blues solo flows almost exclusively from emotions. Tone is important too, but I've heard guitarists with terrible lead tones make it sound good strictly from skills or raw emotion.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Emotion.

I hate "robot" guitarists. On YouTube you can find thousands of videos where people play covers, and some of them are "robots". I mean, they are skilled, fast, technical, and clean, but they put absolutely no emotions in their playing. They just 100% follow the tab and play the song perfectly, but without changing a note or doing a single vibrato. Even if they are skilled and have a killer tone.

Well, I don't like them. I prefer a less skilled guitarist that play with his heart and know how to improvise and add feelings.
Last edited by Poglia at Feb 17, 2009,
I dont think guitar in general very important as long as you have the right eyeliner and cuts on your wrists these days.
Quote by DegaMeth
I dont think guitar in general very important as long as you have the right eyeliner and cuts on your wrists these days.

You missed out having a picture of your c0ck on teh internets.
Quote by MightyAl
You missed out having a picture of your c0ck on teh internets.

no your mothers appendage was more than enough for me.
I would say tone; something sonically appealing will give me a reason to overlook a lack of ability or emotion, but emotion's important as well. Technical skill is my least concern, but it's always cool.
The three simply can't exist without each other. If you have no emotion, there is no inspiration for the notes, if you have **** tone it will sound bad and make the instrument harder to play. If you have good tone the instrument will be easier to play, and will sound a lot better. If you have no Idea how to translate your emotion into notes, than there is no point in playing the solo.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
Page 1 of 2