Page 1 of 2
Hi UG

I am saving up for my second Guitar now, I have been playing 1 1/2 - 2 years and like to play BFMV/ Trivium etc. I bought myself a nice Vypyr 30W last night so hopefully this guitar should go well.

I can save up to or around £500 so are there ary guitars for metal with Nice pickups, 24 frets etc. around that price? Also, Im not sure whether to go fixed bridge or not, I never use my trem on my guitar at the moment and would be switching tunings very often (E standard/ Drop D/ Drop C) And I don't really want the trouble of re-tuning with a Floyd Rose so would a fixed bridge make sense?

I have had a quick look around and have seen the Jackson DKMGT, It looks really nice and has pretty much everything I need, des anybody have experiences with this guitar or can you suggest any others?

Thanks for your Help!
Liam

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/specSheet.php?product=2910101803 - Jackson DKMGT
Last edited by liam-rooney at Feb 18, 2009,
I personally wouldn't buy anything other than Jackson, try that Dinky out, I reckon you'll like it. If not, check out Schecter, I'm not a fan of them but they seem to be quite popular.
RULE BRITANNIA
Fixed bridge is the way forward. Some tricks that are done with a whammy can be recreated anywhoo Like divebomb-ing my bending the neck e.t.c.

I'd say take a look at Washburn (look up models in your price range), Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul, Schecter Hellraiser Fixed bridge.

i was in the exact same situation about a year ago and i went with the DKMGT and never looked back its an awesome guitar, i also bought a Digitech whammy pedal which gives you realistic whammy noises without it taking 15mins to change a string
you are what you is
I think that dinky is your best bet tbh
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Active pickups + Small SS modeling amp = Bad idea

They don't mix too well.....If you want a Jackson go for a DK model with the JB/59 or JB/S/S setup,they would work a lot better with the Vyp.

Also,the MIJ Jackson models are pretty nice guitars.I have a DK2S and I can't find a single thing to complain about with it.I know they make a stop tail DK with a set a SD's in it,so you might wanna look into that.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Thanks so far, I will make sure I try out a couple before I buy, and the DKMG looks so nice and has all the features I need, its £469 (I think @ GAK) but +£30 for the red version, I my aswell spend the extra though and get the colour I like.

And I looked at the Washburn X50 Pro FE which is also £469 and seems to be the same as the Jackson except for looks and I dont really like the looks of it so the Jackson is winning so far
Quote by McShredder
Fixed bridge is the way forward. Some tricks that are done with a whammy can be recreated anywhoo Like divebomb-ing my bending the neck e.t.c.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend doing this at all.

Anywhere you can try out the Dinky? I would snap it up if I were you, you won't regret it
RULE BRITANNIA
Last edited by Cobain_Is_King at Feb 17, 2009,
Whats wrong with the Jackson and the Vypyr together?

EDIT: im sure my Local shop can order one in, they always have Jacksons in there
Quote by Pr0gNut
Active pickups + Small SS modeling amp = Bad idea

They don't mix too well.....

How is that sir?

I think you'll find you're wrong I think what you MEAN is that you dont get the extra benefit that EMG's provide through an SS amp.
But they still work perfectly well and do a great job. Both the pickups and the amp are great, and WILL be great together. Just maybe not as well as a high gain tube amp.
Quote by McShredder
How is that sir?

I think you'll find you're wrong I think what you MEAN is that you dont get the extra benefit that EMG's provide through an SS amp.
But they still work perfectly well and do a great job. Both the pickups and the amp are great, and WILL be great together. Just maybe not as well as a high gain tube amp.

I agree with this.
People always seem to say here 'EMGs only sound good through a £1000 High Gain tube amp' and it's bollocks, they still sound great through smaller amps.
RULE BRITANNIA
So basicaly I would keep the Vypyr until sometime after I get the Jackson when I can save up for a Tube Amp
Quote by liam-rooney
So basicaly I would keep the Vypyr until sometime after I get the Jackson when I can save up for a Tube Amp

I would if I were in your position, from what I hear the Vypyr is great. Also, make sure you take everything you hear from this place with a pinch of salt, tube amps aren't the be all and end all, some people still prefer Solid State amps
RULE BRITANNIA
You win.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74671

however to be brutally honest there is zero point getting active pickups when you have a modelling amp, so get the normal X50 Pro with Duncans

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/x50-pro/67531
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Will it be worse having the actives with the SS amp or just he same, 'cos if I get the actives now I cou8ld then later go onto a Tube amp without much change
Jacksons are pure awsome. ESP's are good to but most of the below $700 guitars are made out of agathis which is the worst wood to possibly make a guita out of.
Quote by liam-rooney
Will it be worse having the actives with the SS amp or just he same, 'cos if I get the actives now I cou8ld then later go onto a Tube amp without much change

At the end of the day it's your call, and you seem to like the Dinky. Saying there is Zero percent point in buying active pickups with a modelling amp is a bit exaggerated.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by McShredder
How is that sir?

No,in my experience active pickups will not sound better than passives with a SS modeling amp.The actives wont be doing what they're designed to do,especially with the modeling technology of the vypyr.IMO TS would get better sound quality if he used a set of versatile passives instead of the EMG pickups.TS,I'm not saying anything bad about the Jackson,it's a great guitar,it's just that in my experiences as a musician the whole active pup + SS modeling amp combo didn't sound that great.TBH I had much better results using a passive set of duncans and dimarzios,so that's where my recommendation comes from.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

You could be like every other puppet and buy a cheap ass ibanez haha.

(No i dont have a thing against them, just that EVERY metal player [except me it seems] has/had one at one point. Ill stick with my bc richs)

Please use tags for tabs....
Sorry if im not getting this, but It wont make a negative affect on the sound by having actives on a SS? (Which I will eventually upgrade to a Tube Amp), But it just wont be giving the 100% potential that I would have if it was on a Tube?

Thanks
get a tube emulating amp, like the Vox AD50VT and the like

Please use tags for tabs....
because actives won't do any of the things they're supposed to do through a modelling amp. There's several benefits to active pickups, flat even frequency response that's good for studio work, increased output that helps maintain signal integrity through a large chain of effects, will drive the front end of a tube amp harder and push it into overdrive sooner, maintaining clarity under distortion due to being low noise which is useful in live situations especially when some poor sound engineer has to balance everything.

You're not going to get any of those benefits through a cheap 30w practice amp...and whilst the Vyper is great at what it does at the end of the day that's all it is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
because actives won't do any of the things they're supposed to do through a modelling amp. There's several benefits to active pickups, flat even frequency response that's good for studio work, increased output that helps maintain signal integrity through a large chain of effects, will drive the front end of a tube amp harder and push it into overdrive sooner, maintaining clarity under distortion due to being low noise which is useful in live situations especially when some poor sound engineer has to balance everything.

You're not going to get any of those benefits through a cheap 30w practice amp...and whilst the Vyper is great at what it does at the end of the day that's all it is.

That was my point as well.They will work with the amp,they're pickups,it's what they do,but they wont be working at their full potential with the Vypyr.A pair of passives would be better suited for the job,and would give some added organic tone and versatility to a potentially sterile rig.

How are the Passive Pick Ups on a Tube Amp? Im just worried that now, I either Buy a Guitar with Actives and not have a great tone until I get the Tube (Which will be quite a long time), or get one with passives which may not perform so well on a tube amp (Im not sure?)

EDIT, and im not sure If I can find a guitar the same as the DKMGT just with passives? (not the Washburn please)
Last edited by liam-rooney at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by liam-rooney
How are the Passive Pick Ups on a Tube Amp? Im just worried that now, I either Buy a Guitar with Actives and not have a great tone until I get the Tube (Which will be quite a long time), or get one with passives which may not perform so well on a tube amp (Im not sure?)

EDIT, and im not sure If I can find a guitar the same as the DKMGT just with passives? (not the Washburn please)

Passives do just fine on a tube amp,even better than they do on a solid state actually,the sound quality is improved due to the tube amp.Don't think that just because a pup is passive that it means it can't get high gain tones or sound good.A lot of metal players use passive pups because they tend to be more organic and versatile than actives.I myself use a Duncan JB for a lot of my progressive and death metal material,and it sounds great.I also use DiMarzio pups,which are some of the best passives out there IMO.Jackson makes a DK model that has a tone-pros bridge and a set of Seymour Duncan passive pups in it,give me a minute and I'll find a link to it for you.

Found it,check it out:

Jackson DK2T

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I was going to suggest the DK2T but he asked for EMGs so I didn't

I mentioned it back in my first post but inadvertently started an active VS passives with SS debate.It seems those kind of debates are always just right under the surface of threads like this,just waiting for a trigger haha.

The DK2T is a great guitar,and a very solid choice TS.I've played on it extensively and it shreds like a beast,and can get nice cleans tones with the Jazz pup in the neck.

Look at the Schecter Tempest....i think it has passives, fixed bridge, coil tapping, dunno about the 24 frets though. Also Schecter C-1 Plus is sexyfine
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
The Jackson DK2T looks good, And its not as expensive as the other one, are there any problems withit? anyone own one?
No, there's nothing wrong with it
Just try it out if you can, chances are I think you'll like it. I might buy one myself.
RULE BRITANNIA
Then I will have extra money left over so I can save up for a tube, but if It sounds good on my Vypyr then I will probably stick with it for a while

Edit : and I didn't mean that there would be something wrong with it, but would it be the same quality as the more expensive Dinky's, just wondeing because its like £150 less?
Thanks
Quote by liam-rooney
Then I will have extra money left over so I can save up for a tube, but if It sounds good on my Vypyr then I will probably stick with it for a while

Edit : and I didn't mean that there would be something wrong with it, but would it be the same quality as the more expensive Dinky's, just wondeing because its like £150 less?
Thanks

The higher price on the other models comes from the fact that they have trems and fancy finishes like cobalt and eerie dess swirl,where as the DK2T is just black or a gray flame top with a tone-pros bridge.All the DK2 series are made in Japan and have the same quality construction,so there's nothing to be worried about with the DK2T.

Ok then, and I can get the Dk2T in a couple of other colours for the same price, but I saw one colour that was +£70. Hopefully I can get it a bit earlyer as well because I haven't saved all the money up yet, and I'll Try it out at my local shop
Quote by liam-rooney
Ok then, and I can get the Dk2T in a couple of other colours for the same price, but I saw one colour that was +£70. Hopefully I can get it a bit earlyer as well because I haven't saved all the money up yet, and I'll Try it out at my local shop

Good idea,and if you can push your budget for a fancy finish then I'd do it,Jackson makes some very nice finishes.I've played a DK2T with a gray flame maple top and even with just that standard finish it looked great.I doubt you'll be disappointed when you try it,it's a very nice guitar,the neck has a great feel to it.

As I have the extra money I will probably add a little money to make it unique And as I will have this guitar for ages (I hope) I wil need it a colout I really like

Edit: I have just looked at the colours, and I could get a red for not extra cost, but its just plain and then there is a transparent red which looks great and you can still see the grain of the wood

Th same as this, just not tremelo -

http://www.redox.com.ua/guitarpics/jackson/2911001590_xl.jpg
Quote by liam-rooney
As I have the extra money I will probably add a little money to make it unique And as I will have this guitar for ages (I hope) I wil need it a colout I really like

What finishes does that model come in? If the have it in eerie dess swirl that'd look awesome,It's such a nice finish.I'm trying to find a DK2M in eerie dess,but no such luck as of yet.

Quote by liam-rooney
It comes in:

Black

Cobalt Blue

Inferno Red

Transparent Black

Transparent Blue

Transparent Red

Eerie Dess Swirl
I like the look of the transparent red most, and I'm not too keen on the eerie swirl,

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/specSheet.php?product=2911006803

My DK2S is transparent red,and it looks very nice.The flame maple is pretty figured and there aren't any flaws I can find in it after almost a year.

I love the eerie dess finish,something about this guitar just appeals to me:

And it says that one of the pickups is a Seymore Duncan 'Jazz' Pickup, im guesing its still oK for Metal?

Edit: and that one above looks nice, but I don't think I like it enough to get it myself.
Page 1 of 2