Page 1 of 2
I am looking for a new amp and my budget is about $300. These are some amps I am looking at.

Hartke Kickback 12 http://www.musiciansbuy.com/HARTKE_KICKBACK_12_COMBO.html

SWR LA15 http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-LA15-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482038

I will be using this amp for band practice and at most a show in the school auditorium. Are these amps big enough for my needs, or should I save up for something bigger?

Also, out of those 2 amps, Which do you think is better?
Quote by Gilthresa
What do you play? Both the instrument and the music.

I play bass, and I play rock with my band, but funk by myself.
sigh.

Man, I thought that because you're on a bass forum asking for advice on bass amps you were playing trumpet!!

What type of bass.
go for the kickback 12 for now.
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by greekorican5
I play bass, and I play rock with my band, but funk by myself.

the kickback should be good enough
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by Gilthresa
sigh.

Man, I thought that because you're on a bass forum asking for advice on bass amps you were playing trumpet!!

What type of bass.

Dont be a douche. Either be nice and help, or dont help at all.
Quote by Gilthresa
sigh.

What type of bass.

Quit being a dick.
Your question was the one that looked moronic, asking "What instrument?" in the bass forum.
Even so, the type of bass is irrelevant, he's asking about volume capabilities of two amps.
Quote by McShredder
Dont be a douche. Either be nice and help, or dont help at all.

The op was being a smartass, he got the same treatment back.

Even so, the type of bass is irrelevant, he's asking about volume capabilities of two amps.

No, the type of bass is not irrelevant. Different basses sound good with different types of music. Different basses have different tone and volume capabilities because of their different pickups. Its important also to know what sort of instrument some one has because then you know how serious they are as far as whether or not I could tell him/her to save his money and buy a real rig. If he has a squier starter set then he doesn't need a big rig, if he has a little better bass then he can prolly go with a larger rig because its a long term investment.
Last edited by Gilthresa at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by Gilthresa
The op was being a smartass, he got the same treatment back.

No, the type of bass is not irrelevant. Different basses sound good with different types of music. Different basses have different tone and volume capabilities because of their different pickups. Its important also to know what sort of instrument some one has because then you know how serious they are as far as whether or not I could tell him/her to save his money and buy a real rig. If he has a squier starter set then he doesn't need a big rig, if he has a little better bass then he can prolly go with a larger rig because its a long term investment.

Amp is 90% of tone, you buy a good amp before you buy a good bass or guitar.
Pickups and wood serve to shape the tone, not fully define it.

And the question of the thread was "Which one of these amps will be best for gigging/an auditorium?" In which case bass type is not a concern because it has nothing to do with filling the auditorium.
Last edited by -Collapse- at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by -Collapse-
Amp is 90% of tone, you buy a good amp before you buy a good bass or guitar.
Pickups and wood serve to shape the tone, not fully define it.

And the question of the thread was "Which one of these amps will be best for gigging/an auditorium?" In which case bass type is not a concern because it has nothing to do with filling the auditorium.

Amp is 90% of tone when you have either 1 way to strike the strings, or when you don't know how to adjust your pots.

The bass you're playing through can have a huge influence on the tone you get out of your bass rig. I can plug my Fender Jazz into my hartke rig, and get one sound, then unplug it, not mess at all with the eq on my amp, and plug in my warwick and get two completely different tones, by changing ONLY the bass.

If you play a Rogue through a Hartke or Gallien Krueger its still going to sound like a damned Rogue.
LOL, I definitly wasn't trying to be a smartass. I thought you didn't realize this was the bass forum.

Anyway I have a Squier Standard Jazz Bass, but I want to upgrade asap. I want to get a new amp first, then I plan to upgrade to a MIM Jazz Bass.
Quote by Gilthresa
Amp is 90% of tone when you have either 1 way to strike the strings, or when you don't know how to adjust your pots.

The bass you're playing through can have a huge influence on the tone you get out of your bass rig. I can plug my Fender Jazz into my hartke rig, and get one sound, then unplug it, not mess at all with the eq on my amp, and plug in my warwick and get two completely different tones, by changing ONLY the bass.

If you play a Rogue through a Hartke or Gallien Krueger its still going to sound like a damned Rogue.

Of course you're going to get two completely different tones, otherwise there'd be no point in having different pickups and tone woods, but the quality of those tones isn't going to be worth a damn if you're playing through a bad amp.

Example (I'll use guitar's since I'm mainly a guitar player):

You play a custom shop guitar through a Marshall MG and it sounds like ass, you plug it into an ENGL Powerball and it sounds like heaven.

The Powerball will still sound good if you plug a Squire into it, but just not AS good.

Similarly, if you plug a squire into an MG it'll sound bad, and it'll still sound bad if you plug a custom shop guitar into it.
Quote by Gilthresa

In the sense that a good amp will make a bad bass sound good. It doesnt work vice versa
Obviously you're gonna notice the difference, but if you play the same bass through a different amp it wont sound the same, especially when you look at Ampegs and other colourful amps most of the time what you will hearis the "Ampeg Tone", not nessecarily a Jazz bass or whatever.

And what do you mean only people who have more expensive basses should buy bigger rigs? As already stated most of the tone comes from the amp so if he likes the feel of his bass then why shouldnt he upgrade his amp first? And also, he has already said he needs the amp to fill a school auditorium, so it doesnt matter.

Back to the original post: I'd go for the Hartke out of those two, do you have a budget?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
In the sense that a good amp will make a bad bass sound good. It doesnt work vice versa
Obviously you're gonna notice the difference, but if you play the same bass through a different amp it wont sound the same, especially when you look at Ampegs and other colourful amps most of the time what you will hearis the "Ampeg Tone", not nessecarily a Jazz bass or whatever.

And what do you mean only people who have more expensive basses should buy bigger rigs? As already stated most of the tone comes from the amp so if he likes the feel of his bass then why shouldnt he upgrade his amp first? And also, he has already said he needs the amp to fill a school auditorium, so it doesnt matter.

Back to the original post: I'd go for the Hartke out of those two, do you have a budget?

About 300 bucks. I was also leaning towards the Hartke, it is the same amp that my school uses for jazz band. It should be loud enough for what I need?
It should be loud enough yes, im guessing your school auditorium is made for conserts and the like, so it should yhave a pa, or there should be one there when you play, so it will be fine for practise and the small gigs.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
If you can stretch your budget you could get this http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C115300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485032

It would be much better than both of the others
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115

I think you're mis-reading what I wrote, and that's prolly because i do a terrible job of explaining myself. What I was trying to say was that if some one is dedicated to playing their instrument, they will, chances are already either have at least a decent/good bass, or will know what they want with one, which is what I was trying to get out of the kid with my initial question.

If you are just playing bass as a hobby, and you pick it up for an hour or 3 every week, then you don't need a real serious rig because you're not investing the time into it to need one. If however he's only currently in a little high school band or w/e hes in and he is looking to expand his horizons, then he'd need a substantial rig. You can usually tell which direction some one is going by asking what instrument they play and what they would like to get, which is the natural way that conversation evolves.

Anyway I have a Squier Standard Jazz Bass, but I want to upgrade asap. I want to get a new amp first, then I plan to upgrade to a MIM Jazz Bass.

This is actually exactly the type of answer I was looking for from the OP because it lets me know that he's serious about his ****, and then I can tell him to save up for a bit longer and get a real rig, like either the hartke 3500+410 combo i linked earlier or a hartke/GK head with a 2x10 or a 4x10 underneath it.
Hmm, not evreyone can afford to go out and get the best stuff, that mag scott mentioned would be plenty loud for the mo, and could easily get one second hand for 300 if not cheaper.

I cant play an hour evreyday, mostly cause i have other things on, yet ive still put nearly 2 grand into all my gear. Your being quite stereotypical of a musician, we can only be as good as we try.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
amp = 90% of your tone? ..... nonsense.....

Your sound is as good as the weakest part in you rig, whether it be guitar or amp......

He had a fair point asking what instrument he plays. If i was buying a new amp and i had a double humbucker ibanez i'd get a 1x15. But if i had a jazz i'd get a 4x10.

Reason: You want your bass and amp too go hand in hand. To get the best sound you could get. This only makes sense! THINK! you want too boost the qualities your bass gives you.

Guitar is different, you buy an amp based on what style you play. You want a blues driven sound you'd get a mesa head and replace the tubes with some JJ's. You want rock you'd get a marshall stack.

+1 gilthresa =) you god sir have it top notch

Oh, and TS. Having the same bass guitar as you, i'd get the hartke kickback 12. I have the HA3500 head and a 2x12 cab and it sounds lush
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Last edited by pandathe3 at Feb 17, 2009,
I seriously dont understand the correlatiion between the price of someones bass and their attitude. He said he is in a band and wants to upgrade his amp, so what he has a squier? What if didnt know much about amps? What would you do? Deny him the right to upgrade his rig?

Thats the reason people come here. To learn more about bass stuff, there's no rule saying that people with X knowledge/attitude are allowed to spend X much on their equiptment
Quote by guitarhero_764

Do you mean the Eb 180, its good but not as good as the mag, you couold get an Ashdown mag second for 300.

If you scan ebay and craiglist, Tb and other clasifields you could defiantly find one.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
amp = 90% of your tone? ..... nonsense.....

Your sound is as good as the weakest part in you rig, whether it be guitar or amp......

He had a fair point asking what instrument he plays. If i was buying a new amp and i had a double humbucker ibanez i'd get a 1x15. But if i had a jazz i'd get a 4x10.

Reason: You want your bass and amp too go hand in hand. To get the best sound you could get. This only makes sense! THINK!
An amazing bass sounds turd through a Behringer

////////////

To greekorican: Yeah if you can find the one I suggested used then snap it up, if not, the 180 watt version would be quite good for you.
Quote by guitarhero_764

Last edited by ScottB. at Feb 17, 2009,
^^^ Like i say:

"Your sound is as good as the weakest part in you rig, whether it be guitar or amp......"

Either way, if you had an active MM stingray and left the EQ flat on the behringer and used your active EQ, i'd bet you'd get a pretty good tone for half an hour or so.....before it blows.
Quote by IndianRockStar

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
so should i sell my hartke LH500 and VX410 because i use a squier bass so am clearly not serious about playing
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
There are some good behringers out there, so stop giving **** to them. Infact i know someone who has an MM stingray and used to have a behringer and he loved it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Your being quite stereotypical of a musician, we can only be as good as we try

You're right, and if you can only practice 5 hours a week total you're still going to sound like a bass player who practices for 5 hours a week. Your bass/amp/effects/etc aren't going to do anything for it, because there's very little underneath it to back it up.

I seriously don't understand the correlation between the price of someones bass and their attitude. He said he is in a band and wants to upgrade his amp, so what he has a squier? What if didn't know much about amps? What would you do? Deny him the right to upgrade his rig?

I'd try and find out how much he plays per week, how interested he is into it, then find his budget, see how good/bad his chances are of playing within a band/ensemble setting then try and get him to buy the amp that I think would fit him best with what he has to work for, and what hes going to use it for.

If you play bass for 2 hours a week and you buy a fantastic amp/cab setup, you're still gonna sound like squat cause you don't have the underlying technical ability to use the materials you've got, and you've essentially just wasted your money, at least in my opinion, and since he came here asking for opinions, I will give him mine. Mine would be to get the kickback if he needs it now, but if he can wait and use his current amp, which we don't know what it is, he should save and get a 2x10 or a 4x10 with a head on top.

An amazing bass sounds turd through a Behringer

Derp a rogue sounds like a rogue through a behringer 30 watt 8inch driver combo or through Hartke LH500 with a Hydrive rig behind it.
Quote by skater dan0
so should i sell my hartke LH500 and VX410 because i use a squier bass so am clearly not serious about playing

lol
Quote by pandathe3
^^^ Like i say:

"Your sound is as good as the weakest part in you rig, whether it be guitar or amp......"

okay i misread that the first time
Quote by pandathe3

Either way, if you had an active MM stingray and left the EQ flat on the behringer and used your active EQ, i'd bet you'd get a pretty good tone for half an hour or so.....before it blows.

My behringer has been working for a good 3 years at the least, yes its ****. But don't exaggerate too much

Quote by Gilthresa
You're right, and if you can only practice 5 hours a week total you're still going to sound like a bass player who practices for 5 hours a week. Your bass/amp/effects/etc aren't going to do anything for it, because there's very little underneath it to back it up.

I'd try and find out how much he plays per week, how interested he is into it, then find his budget, see how good/bad his chances are of playing within a band/ensemble setting then try and get him to buy the amp that I think would fit him best with what he has to work for, and what hes going to use it for.

If you play bass for 2 hours a week and you buy a fantastic amp/cab setup, you're still gonna sound like squat cause you don't have the underlying technical ability to use the materials you've got, and you've essentially just wasted your money, at least in my opinion, and since he came here asking for opinions, I will give him mine. Mine would be to get the kickback if he needs it now, but if he can wait and use his current amp, which we don't know what it is, he should save and get a 2x10 or a 4x10 with a head on top.

Derp a rogue sounds like a rogue through a behringer 30 watt 8inch driver combo or through Hartke LH500 with a Hydrive rig behind it.

he said he needs the amp for his band, what business is it of yours to investigate how much he plays and his attitude etc, he came here for suggestions ok, not a lecture on how much gear you can own as a "stage 1 bassist"
Quote by guitarhero_764

Last edited by ScottB. at Feb 17, 2009,
I have a Squire 70's mod jazz.....Its a good bass! It sounds good. The name means nothing.

My rig is a HA3500 and a 2x12 neo genz benz. my rig costs about £1000, yet my bass cost me £280.......

^^^Tis was a joke =) behringers arn't that bad, they just feel cheap and dont sound the greatest, for just a tad bit more money you'd get a great deal on a hartke or a warwick rig.
Quote by IndianRockStar

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Last edited by pandathe3 at Feb 17, 2009,
But a rogue bass will sound different going through an amoeg rig, and then going throguh an SWR rig wont it now.

Just cause someone doesnt play in a band etc doesnt mean there not entitled to great sounding gear.
And what if in those two hours aweek you get two play, because you have work or a family or similiar, you put your best into practising, better to practise 10 mins a day then 5 hours on a sunday.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by skater dan0

Pretty sure I haven't seen you come and ask for advice on what combo amp to buy.

But you can take what I'm saying out of context all you want if it makes you feel like a bigger man.

What I said was that if its simply a hobby and you play for 1-3 hours a week, like what usually happens with squier STARTER KITS. Then you don't need a real rig, because you're playing a bad bass, and you don't have the time invested already to see any real results, and you're essentially, in my opinion, throwing your money into something that looks good so people can look at it when they come over to your house and you can tell them you play bass.
Quote by Gilthresa
Pretty sure I haven't seen you come and ask for advice on what combo amp to buy.

But you can take what I'm saying out of context all you want if it makes you feel like a bigger man.

What I said was that if its simply a hobby and you play for 1-3 hours a week, like what usually happens with squier STARTER KITS. Then you don't need a real rig, because you're playing a bad bass, and you don't have the time invested already to see any real results, and you're essentially, in my opinion, throwing your money into something that looks good so people can look at it when they come over to your house and you can tell them you play bass.

HE HAS SAID THAT HE NEEDS THIS AMP FOR HIS BAND. DON'T BRING YOUR OWN OPINIONS ON WETHER HOBBY BASSISTS CAN HAVE A LARGE RIG INTO THIS, OK?
Quote by guitarhero_764

Theres alot of people out there who play bass as a hobby, yet have MM and warwicks, and mark bass amps, just cause you playat home doesnt mean your a bad player and that you dont deserve quality gear.

For someplayers a real rig is a small 1x12 combo. And they play infront of 1000's of people.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by ScottB.
HE HAS SAID THAT HE NEEDS THIS AMP FOR HIS BAND. DON'T BRING YOUR OWN OPINIONS ON WETHER HOBBY BASSISTS CAN HAVE A LARGE RIG INTO THIS, OK?

Hobby bassits? He means the people who get a squire starter pack and get bored after a week.................
Quote by IndianRockStar

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Quote by pandathe3
Hobby bassits? He means the people who get a squire starter pack and get bored after a week.................

no he means people who want to play for a hobby or pasttime and buy a squier starter pack to begin with, hy then can buy better gear if they wish, but this chappy does not seem to think so.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
im pretty sure he doesnt though, he is assuming that people who buy squier starter packs arent commited. After all who would spend £1000s on a rig when theyve been playing a week and arent serious?
Quote by guitarhero_764

he said he needs the amp for his band, what business is it of yours to investigate how much he plays and his attitude etc, he came here for suggestions ok, not a lecture on how much gear you can own as a "stage 1 bassist"

Well clearly because my suggestion takes into account more things than yours, including things which you disagree with I won't mention anything again. I'd hate to tell some one my opinion and have them not like it. I live to tell people what they want to hear without thinking about other realistic options.

But a rogue bass will sound different going through an amoeg rig, and then going throguh an SWR rig wont it now.

Just cause someone doesnt play in a band etc doesnt mean there not entitled to great sounding gear.
And what if in those two hours aweek you get two play, because you have work or a family or similiar, you put your best into practising, better to practise 10 mins a day then 5 hours on a sunday.

Of course it will sound different, but it will still sound bad, which brings me back to my original point that 90% of your tone does not come from your amp, and anyone who thinks that way is a moron.

And if I remember right, I mean, I could be mistaken because I read the op's post all the way through, but he did ask if he should wait and save up for another more expensive amp. I think he should save up for something a bit bigger, like a 2x10 + head or 4x10 depending on what he can find used.

And no one is entitled to anything, if you want to spend $5,000 on a bass rig and all you know how to play is mary had a little lamb that's your call, and God bless, but I think its a waste of money.
Teenagers with rich parents? The kids whos mates play guitar and they think its cool......? I see it everyday, i know it exists......
Quote by IndianRockStar

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Page 1 of 2