So a couple months ago, I got an EC-500, since I was starting to get into metal. I still like metal, and I love to play it occasionally, but I still love rock and blues more, and play that more often.

Now, I do like to play metal, so I'm wondering, do I need a Floyd to really appreciate and effectively play metal? I don't know if I really want to spend money on a metal guitar, unless I'm really missing out by not having a Floyd.

So, what do you think? Is playing metal really not the same without a Floyd?
Strats & Seagulls
if you will be using the whammy bar often, then yes, a floyd is totally worth it. If not, then no, you dont need one.
i play metal ALL the time, and i don't need the whammy, (because i play the rythym parts ) but if your gonna need to whammy, your gonna want the floyd.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Quote by entity0009
Animal Cracker

I'm pretty sure it's a type of noodle.
I play a lot of shred and prog-metal and TBH my bar is only used occasionally for subtle effects.It's nice to have around,but a whammy bar doesn't make or break a metal guitarist IMO.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I play 85% metal, and dont have a FR on any of my guitars - Iv always found them to be annoying and a tool to mask a lack of playing ability for most guitarists.

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
having a whammy system adds versatility...
my main guitar doesn't have one, and i occasionally urge a dive bomb here and there...
so it's up to what you want to play really...
Quote by heminder
having a whammy system adds versatility...
my main guitar doesn't have one, and i occasionally urge a dive bomb here and there...
so it's up to what you want to play really...

That's the thing. I don't know where my metal intrests will wander to. I may begin to want to play some music with crazy Floyd wankery, but do you think a Floyd is essential for the genre?
Strats & Seagulls
You know what? A floyd rose doesn't always mean the abuse of whammy bar. A floyd rose really helps if you're a guitar abusing personnel. It really helps maintain the stability of tuning. I mean i haven't tuned mine in about 4 months and is in perfect shape. The only problem is that changing the tuning especially to drop C or drop B is a big pain in the ass. But since you are blues and rock kind of a guy you won't need that tuning. Go for floyd rose only if you're willing to be patient with it.
No other whammy compares ! Not even the generic ones.And here/s a little tip I learned when I was Touring(photo)for "Night Ranger"opening act 4 KISS tour.Brad Gillis showed me to take 2 springs out of the back 4 a "worbling"loose vibration by banging on body.
Whammy technique isnt required for any music style really unless your steve vai. Id say if you plan to use it a good amount get it if not dont.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Brad used his "worbling"Floyd Rose on many Hit videos with"Night Ranger"& also 1 Tour with Ozzy taking Randy Rhodes place after plane crash.Many listeners : including professionals : Thought they were hearing effects when they heard Brads Worbling Bar.Until they saw the video.I won a bet with Jeff Thorp Of Vicious Rumers.He said,"that/s an effect".I said,"come with me & took/em to meet Brad Gillis.
My Charvel Stayed in tune 4 a year while on tour.Even being thrown around by airlines baggage people.If it wasn/t 4 wanting 2 play with new strings ; I wouldn/t even need 2 touch the tuning pegs !Floyd Rose Rules for Glam Rock too
If you can afford it, why not have one guitar with a floyd, and one with a fixed bridge? Nothing wrong with having more than one guitar
Quote by Pac_man0123
It's nice to have when you need it... but it can also be a pain. Basically, you need to decide: "Am i ready to accept the burdening curse of the floyd rose tremolo bridge in exchange for whammy sounds?"

True but its not really that hard to manage.

And dont forget the great tuning stability
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I am personally a huge fan of non-recessed Floyd routes a la Eddie Van Halen... granted you can't do pull ups but the tuning stability is increased dramatically and you can have the trem feel as stiff or as loose as you want while still mantaining tuning. You can also do things like tune the low string to D, lock up, and use the fine tuner to tune up to E... then you have the ability to drop without having to unlock, or even buy one of those chintzy D-Tunas.

Problem is there are very few production guitars that have such a setup, so you'll probably be stuck buying an 80s Kramer or putting one together... but in my opinion it's well worth it. Sustain is increased as well since there's more bridge-to-body contact.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
If you're playing metal lead it may be useful, depending on how much you use a whammy bar, but my band dont really have many solos we're more about riffs and stuff, so i prefer just a fixed bridge.
You don't need one at all, it's not like a hardtail guitar is exactly short of possibilities as far as the sounds you can make.

If you want a trem then get one, if you don't then don't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think that if you are not 100% sure that you need a Floyd, you don't need one.
Most people don't need one, even those who play metal often don't, then they are a hassle to set up and a guitar with a Floyd will usually cost more than a comparable one with a fixed bridge or non-locking tremolo.

Take your time and think about if you really need one. Chances are you won't.
I always use fixed bridge guitars and I play some metal. It really doesn't hurt me at all. If anything I benefit from it. Songs that require a dive or some other whammy effect I just have to improvise and come up with something else.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
No matter the genre I'm playing I use my trem bridges. Whether it's to have a note die away, a subtle vibrato, huge dive, or a trippy wavering of a note - I always use it. That's how I know that I'd need a trem. If you don't feel so sure as that that its integral to your own playing, then I don't recommend getting one.
I have a floyd rose and my guitar is tuned to drop B and I use thick ass strings i think 13's and i love the whammy bar but if you play rhythm you dont really need a floyd.
The problem I had with this question is a lot of higher end models don't come hardtail.
Lots of Ibanez's and Jacksons are trem-only.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
ibanez and jackson are not the only guitar makers... there are lots of quality guitars with fixed bridges.

and i believe some Ibanez S model has a fixed bridge. dont know the price range, though.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Quote by 5th_fret
ibanez and jackson are not the only guitar makers... there are lots of quality guitars with fixed bridges.

This is true, but they are really the only one's I (and maybe OP) have access to with thin necks that are good for metal.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater