I'll admit up front that I'm bad at finding time to practice on my own. I'd really like to find an instructor, but at the same time I want to make sure I don't get ripped off. What's the best way to find a good teacher? Simply look through the yellow pages? Ideally I'd want a private tutor and not be part of a class, which I know is more expensive. How often should I expect to meet said instructor? How much should I expect to pay?
Craig's list is usually a good place to start.
Most instructors have free or discounted first lessons so you can see if you like them and if their good enough.

I take a 1 hour lesson every 2 weeks and it costs me $40 for the hour, worth every penny, I learned more in my first lesson then I had in 3 months of teaching myself.

Oh, and its not a group lesson, its one-on-one
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
I know people who take guitar lessons (among other things) at a local music store. Not Guitar Center, but just a local place. It is a really great place, and I would suggest trying a music store out if it has similar arrangements as that. Hell, I would try a music store out just to ask to see if anyone knows one.

One word of advice though, usually instructors want you to practice for a specific period of time. If you can't make time to practice now, you probably won't be grasping the material provided by an instructor.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by Ulalume
I know people who take guitar lessons (among other things) at a local music store. Not Guitar Center, but just a local place. It is a really great place, and I would suggest trying a music store out if it has similar arrangements as that. Hell, I would try a music store out just to ask to see if anyone knows one.

One word of advice though, usually instructors want you to practice for a specific period of time. If you can't make time to practice now, you probably won't be grasping the material provided by an instructor.

Well, my main problem is I don't really have a set regimen. I just pluck around with things I know how to do. I think I would be a lot more motivated if I had a teacher.
The most effective way of learning would be a half hour lesson weekly, that way u can practice all you learn in that half hour within the week, ready for the next lesson.

Hour-long lessons cans be bad as you are unlikely to absorb all that information, and so not only will you miss things, you'll be wasting money.
I think that a half hour lesson once a week is best. I take a half hour lesson once a week and it only costs me $7 for the half hour and my teacher is great.

If your having trouble finding a teacher go to Guitar Center and other place and they usually have a bulletin board where people posts their added and usually your find a couple of guitar teacher adds there.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
I taught myself using UG and other tab and chord sites. Find songs you like, look up tabs on UG and listen to the song and try to figure it out. If you wanna end up being a great guitarist you have to be inspired to do it on your own.
Quote by Crashton
I taught myself using UG and other tab and chord sites. Find songs you like, look up tabs on UG and listen to the song and try to figure it out. If you wanna end up being a great guitarist you have to be inspired to do it on your own.

It's much easier to get the basics down THEN start doing your own thing IMHO.
I would contact instructors to see what they charge and what they teach/play. Try to avoid a jazz musician if your into death metal for example, get the most bang for your buck. Ask for their experience and how long they've been playing.

For costs, it usually depends on who is giving you lessons. If they graduated from GIT, expect them to charge more than a garage-band player. A half hour a week is a good amount of time, and it motivates you each time (well, does for me.)

If high-quality stores have private lessons (Long & McQuade in Canada for e.g.), you should definitely consider that.
Thrash, Not Trash.

My Guitar Gear:

Godin LG EMG
Line 6 Spider III 120w
Vox Amplug xP
Last edited by SHACKR at Feb 18, 2009,
I just started taking lessons in december. I found my instructor through his info on the stores website. It said that he had played in an 80's rock cover band and Im a huge fan of Motley Crue, GNR, Ratt, to name a few so he seemed perfect. I set up a time and ive been going to him ever since. He is a great teacher hes really patient with me which I appreciate as sometimes I dont get things straight away. It helps that hes a great player and hes been teaching since he was a freshman in high school so over 15 years now.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I've been teaching for almost 20 years. And something that has always seemed odd to me, is that when I'm talking to a potential student or their parents, I'm rarely asked what my qualifications are. It's always, how much and what times do you have available.
The fact that I went to music school doesn't even matter to them.
The first thing you should find out about a teacher is how long have they been teaching. What will/can they teach you. Do they understand the style of music that you're into.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Last edited by seth's daddy at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by seth's daddy
I've been teaching for almost 20 years. And something that has always seemed odd to me, is that when I'm talking to a potential student or their parents, I'm rarely asked what my qualifications are. It's always, how much and what times do you have available.
The fact that I went to music school doesn't even matter to them.
The first thing you should find out about a teacher is how long have they been teaching. What will/can they teach you. Do they understand the style of music that you're into.

Most people don't understand enough to even know what to ask. Fact is parents probably don't even care they just want their kid outta the house for a while. Your just a more expensive babysitter that actually teaches something cool to their kid. =P.

and parigod is right, once you have a basic understanding it is much easier. I was taught pentatonic, open major scale and a few chords right off the bat and i went from there on my own.
i don't have a teacher yet but all my friends went to the local music store and were referred from there
YNWA