So i am on the fence with this one. I play mostly metal through a 6505 into a randall cab that currently has celestion seventy 80's in it. Pretty much i am looking to swap out the celestions with either eminence texas heats or emenence governors (maybe wizards). What i am looking for is a more thumpy low end (like shake your insides when you palm mute on E) and i would like to avoid icepick high end, cuz my 6505 can deliver too much of the icepick high end if im not careful. EQ wise i like to have a light scoop of the mids in my tone, but pretty much think bands like metallica, trivium, and iron maiden for the type of music i play. Anyone have any experience with these speakers for metal and can give some thoughts on their performance?
Thumpy low... maybe the "Man 0 War"

I have one, I like it. Just ordered a Warehouse Veteran 30 to go with it for my 212.
Last edited by 667 at Feb 17, 2009,
I was thinking that the Man O War might have too much of that icepick highs. It compares to the celestion g12t-75, which i have owned in a valveking, but i found it to have a lot of that icepick highs
Quote by hardrckr120
I was thinking that the Man O War might have too much of that icepick highs. It compares to the celestion g12t-75, which i have owned in a valveking, but i found it to have a lot of that icepick highs

IMO. The high's arent bad, mids are less pronounced tho.
Did you listen to the clips on thier site?

http://www.eminence.com/soundclips.asp
I will have to look more into that one and see how it compared to the celestion equivalent. Did you find that you had to turn down your highs when you got it?
Quote by hardrckr120
I will have to look more into that one and see how it compared to the celestion equivalent. Did you find that you had to turn down your highs when you got it?

No, not really. I have an eq in the loop with the mids boosted. My high's are actually up at the 3:00 O'clock position on my OD and half-way (noon) on my amp. The speaker is in a 212 next to a cheap Sheffield 1200.
im actually ordering some later tonight. I'm getting the Cannabis Rex and either Swamp Thang or Texas Heat and running them in X formation.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
PM me when you try them and let me know how that works for you. I think i am leaning more towards the governor cuz it has a vintage 30 type sound while being different in some areas. Anyone have the governors and have played a little metal through it?
Red Coat the governor. Thats what i have and it kick some serious ass. Thigh low end, Not to trebly but still have those high frequencise that are nice to the ears.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
I just ordered my Swamp Thangs (decided to go with these over texas heats) and Cannibis Rexes, I'll let you know how it goes after a few hours of breaking them in. Also, I've heard the Governors get some major cone cry.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
What you may consider "icepick" highs actually help a lot in a live situation. Playing an amp by yourself and with a full band are two totally different things. Don't shy away from good cutting highs, they are needed to prevent an overly bassy tone.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Actually the only time i play through my main setup, which is the one that i want to do the speaker swap with, when i am playing with the full band so i know exactly what you mean. That is why i am so on the fence on what to get because the choices are not so clear cut as with celestion, eminence seems to have a lot more possibilities to choose from. The cone cry issue does make me nervous though, but does it become less prevalent in a 4x12 setup?
If you're looking for a V-30 sound, why not just get a Warehouse V-30? Just like a Celestion without the midspike.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan