don't forget the jaguar/jazzmaster.
reverb is also comon.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Amps:
Vox AC15/30
Fender Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror (Not as good cleans, but great crunch)

Guit-boxes:
Fender Telecaster/Jaguar/Jazzmaster
Some sort of semi-hollow/hollow body guitar
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Indie is not a sound.

You want an indie rig? Go out and buy what ever you can with what you have in your pocket, and make it sound good enough to get you a following.
this one is for you.
Quote by batesyy
If you want to sound like Kevin Shields, start saving:

I just splooged over that Roger Mayer fuzz in the far upper left corner. The one that looks like a spaceship.
Indie is a very broad genre. You have a lot of options as to what you want to do. Remember its all about the attitude you take towards it and how you use it. Nothing can be considered out of style in indie: Its not outdated, its retro; you don't use too many effects, you're experimental; you're playings not sloppy, its noise rock. You get the picture.
Quote by snipelfritz
Indie is a very broad genre. You have a lot of options as to what you want to do. Remember its all about the attitude you take towards it and how you use it. Nothing can be considered out of style in indie: Its not outdated, its retro; you don't use too many effects, you're experimental; you're playings not sloppy, its noise rock. You get the picture.

you aren't bad at recording and playing your instruments; it's lo-fi!

Did you read some of the discussions on the My bloody Valentine mesage boards?
Those guys are realy ****ing obsessive..
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by batesyy

No wonder the MBV techie suicide rate is so high...
There are several possible answers. It all depends on what "Indie" means to you.
Do you mean The Pixies and Mudhoney? Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine? Bloc Party and Franz Ferdinand? The White Stripes? Radiohead?

Indie isn't a genre, it's an umbrella of genres. It,s more or less synonymous with alternative rock (but with the improvement of excluding **** like Nickelback and Hinder).
yeah it really depends, but generaly for bass its a standard Jazz bass or any bass with good treble e.g. rickenbacker. played clean through an Ampeg SVT tube amp, so start saving for that amp... the whole rig will run you over 2,500 dolars...however if you want to get a true indie deal get the vintage fender bassman tube heads, there pretty cheap for tube and a mexican jazz or p off of ebay thats the indie way to do it
Quote by thelurker
you forgot:

I didn't forget. I just never had them saved on my computer.
Quote by uhh_me?
you aren't bad at recording and playing your instruments; it's lo-fi!

Lo fi is a legitimate facet of indie music. Sorry I don't want to close mic everything and your dick when you step into the studio.

Overdubs are for pussies.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
I see a Shoe Gazer in that Kevin Shields board; YUM!
404: Sig not found.
Quote by MoonBoots432
Lo fi is a legitimate facet of indie music. Sorry I don't want to close mic everything and your dick when you step into the studio.

Overdubs are for pussies.

oh goodness! lo-fi is real? i had no idea...

it was a joke. no need to get your whatevers all in a knot.
Sorry. You could easily have been an actual prick.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
I'm using both a tele in standard and a hamer with an invader in the bridge (weird I know, but it works) into a DSL100 and triple rec in stereo, both on 4x12s. My pedal board has a stereo digital delay, an analog delay, an overdrive, and a tuner. You can hear my stuff in my sig.
Quote by bassplayer135
yeah it really depends, but generaly for bass its a standard Jazz bass or any bass with good treble e.g. rickenbacker. played clean through an Ampeg SVT tube amp, so start saving for that amp... the whole rig will run you over 2,500 dolars...however if you want to get a true indie deal get the vintage fender bassman tube heads, there pretty cheap for tube and a mexican jazz or p off of ebay thats the indie way to do it

the indie way to do it is simply buying whatever you can afford

Quote by Say Ocean
I'm using both a tele in standard and a hamer with an invader in the bridge (weird I know, but it works) into a DSL100 and triple rec in stereo, both on 4x12s. My pedal board has a stereo digital delay, an analog delay, an overdrive, and a tuner. You can hear my stuff in my sig.

mesa boogie is so not indie.
Last edited by sponj at Mar 24, 2009,
Quote by sponj

mesa boogie is so not indie.

Sorry I didn't know there were rules to indie

The guy from Tera Melos uses a triple rec you can use whatever you want as long as it does what you want it to.
yeah, i know, i was being an indiefag.
tera melos is right here <3
also, i've added your band with my bands myspace
i play alot of minus the bear, playing on a strat rebuild w/ a dimarzio humbucker i think its a tnoe master or something [the thing sounds like it should be on a bass but i love it] im alwasy moving around and cant cary amps w/ me so i just use amp emulation software on my laptop, usually i stick to anything clean then mi xit up with a abit of distortion and reverb, but MTB being mathrock'ish i alwasy minipulating delay somewhere in that.
Quote by Pilots
Discrepancy: While at 110 KIAS and 35 deg AOB with full right pedal, trims would not keep helicopter in correct Outer roll loop.

Corrective action:
Could not duplicate on ground. 11A799. NPPC
Quote by Say Ocean
Sorry I didn't know there were rules to indie

I find this statement ironic in its attempt at ironiy, simply because there are so many 16-year-old 'indie' kids who've never heard The Pixies but looove Franz Ferdinand who would tell you there are rules to indie. (It's all about the hair man. And you gotta have a Tele)
i play sort of strokes, franz ferninand, white stripes stuff, would a gibson les paul studio suit my playing?
Quote by Raptor94
i play sort of strokes, franz ferninand, white stripes stuff, would a gibson les paul studio suit my playing?

Possibly. It definitely depends on the amp you're playing with and your settings. Keep it fairly trebly and get to the point where you amp is just barely OD'ing.

As for amps look at:
Fender Blues Deluxe
Any sort of Vox