Ok, so I have looked on the net, read books, even asked a person once about it, yet I still dont understand how to apply sheet music to the guitar. I especially get lost when the music is set in a different key. If the music is in just a normal key then fine, I can apply that the the upper part of the fret board, but how do you know where to play it on the lower frets? Every book I have read tells you how to play a peice on like the upper four frets, but none cover how to play lower. What if its in the key of b-flat or f-sharp? Any help would be most kick ass
Just use tab?
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
Quote by ARYANMETALFIST
what the ****

indeed.

to read sheet music...you play the note on the fretboard that corresponds with the note on the page. Bb has 2 flats, Bb and Eb, so when you see a B on the staff, you play a Bb and when you see an E, you play an Eb.

the second fret on the D string is the same pitch as the 12th fret on the low E string. that pitch is on the first line of the staff in treble clef, right above the D which is the bottom space.

most songs you read you can play in first position though, so unless you have notes really high off the staff, there won't be a need to play past the 5th fret unless it's a comfort issue.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Feb 17, 2009,
If you're reading sheet music and not improvising at all the key mainly tells you how many sharps/flats there are. To find those notes all over the neck shouldn't pose too much of a problem provided you know your way around the fretboard - in terms of knowing what all the notes are.

If you're just getting your head a round different keys don't worry about more complicated keys yet. Stick to the ones that only have a couple of sharps or flats - like C, G, D, A, F, Bb, Eb

Bb has 2 flats - Bb and Eb
F# has 6 sharps - F#, C#, G#, D#, A#, E#

I'm not really sure what the question is though...

Normally the first 4 frets are referred to as the lower frets, not the upper frets
Say I wanted to play a song higher up on the fret board and not in first position, then where would I begin? Could I just play over a scale or something?
Could move it up 12 frets from the 1st position? That's moved everything up an octave.

Either that, or transpose things into different keys...

For example, if you were playing in the 1st position in Bb, you could move every note up a fret and it'd then be in B.

Meh, I'm not much use on sheet music.
Quote by dturner87
Say I wanted to play a song higher up on the fret board and not in first position, then where would I begin? Could I just play over a scale or something?

yes. as long as you know your notes over the fretboard, it's a pretty easy principle.

you can do a song in Bb like this..

----------------------------------5-6-------
-----------------------3-4-6-8-------------
-------------0-2-3-5-----
-----0-1-3--------------
1-3-------------------
---------------------

or this

---------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------8-10-11----
--------------------------7-8-10-------------
--------------5-7-8-10-----------------------
------5-6-8--------------------------------
-6-8-------------------------------------

same notes, different frets.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by dturner87

If you know what key the song is in, all the notes (unless there are accidentals) will be from that scale, so yes you could just play it from wherever on the neck you know the scale
Quote by dturner87

Just look at the chords you have. If you want to change keys or transpose then just work out what chords they'll become - it's got nothing to do with where you play something.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com