Page 1 of 2
BIG EDIT
WOW......... i got bored and made this MG thread and.......... WOW............if you hate this thread feel free to ignore it. this thread isn't serious dudes its just for fun.........

now alot of people hate me..........

im sick and tired of MG threads so i made an ONLY thread about MGs

NOT REAL PROS
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. USABLE CLEANS

NOT REAL CONS:
Overpriced

Overdrive is HORRIBLE
UNReliable
Ovepriced
Crappy
made by another company but Marshall's name is slapped on the amp

REAL PROS AND CONS:
Pros
1. It's usable. It gets loud, it doesn't break when your kid is hauling it to all their friends houses, and can also play at bedroom volume.
2. It looks like a Marshall, which will entice youngsters who look up to other Marshall users to be satisfied with it. Kerry King will make your kid feel better about playing on this amp and give him a little more motivation to learn.

Cons
1. There are amps in the price range that are more powerful, or have a more favorable distortion tone, more built in effects, et cetera.
2. Being a cheap amp, it's going to make everything you plug into it suffer, including your pedalboard and your guitar.
3. While many on craigslist try to advertise this as 'pro gear,' this will get you rejected in band auditions, which I know confuses a lot of people; having a MG half stack isn't pro gear, it's just loud gear. Many guitar players other than the user hate solid state fizz and refuse to play alongside it.

There is usually always a better option than the MG for a person, but if they're looking for a quick pick in Guitar Center and are too nervous to try anything themselves, gotta get them to walk out of the store buying something some way.

PICS OF THE MG (avoid these amps)

PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 17, 2009,
lol i came in here thinking oh god... and maybe seeing some interesting flaming posts... but i lol'd
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Seriously, kid?

This is just dumb. There are pros to MGs.

Cleans are decent does not belong in cons.

I'm all for MG bashing, but it doesn't need its own thread. This won't stop a million from being made each week.

It also needs to at least be rational.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Pro: it's a marshall
Con: it's a marshall...
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
hey i like this thread. keep it on the front page and maybe we wont have as many pointless mg threads....

nevermind
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Oh, and they ARE actually made by Marshall. The Park conspiracy is a MYTH.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Holy-Diver
hey i like this thread. keep it on the front page and maybe we wont have as many pointless mg threads....

nevermind

This is a pointless MG thread.
Quote by Grimpond
im kinda hopin' the new MG line will be awesome and shame all the mg bashers

i've played a new MG, it wasn't awesome, but it didn't suck either. fwiw it's a decent practice amp.

Quote by theoreticmusic
Oh, and they ARE actually made by Marshall. The Park conspiracy is a MYTH.

I've seen "Park by Marshall" amplifiers around which were very much like the MG10CD.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
im sick and tired of MG threads so i made an ONLY thread about MGs

PROS
..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................USABLE CLEANS
CONS:
Overpriced

Overdrive is HORRIBLE
UNReliable
Ovepriced
Crappy
made by another company but Marshall's name is slapped on the amp

Uh.... what other company makes the MG? If you say Park, then you know nothing about Marshall or it's history and need not speak about the company or its products.

I guess they are made in China, but does that mean that another company makes the Peavey Valveking because Valvekings are made in China? No.

Bashing MGs is stupid. I've never seen MGs bashed anywhere as bad as they are here, not at HC, not at TGP, nowhere else is such a big deal made about how much these amps suck. It's the biggest pet peeve I have about this site in that people somehow think that bashing entry level gear makes them sound knowledgeable.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 17, 2009,
i was honestly hoping this would be a thread about the cars... =[
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Quote by Horlicks
This is a pointless MG thread.

i know
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by lefthandman9876
there better than line 6 spiders?

in my opinion not, because atleast spiders feature a whole load of effects you know.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by al112987
Uh.... what other company makes the MG?

I guess they are made in China, but does that mean that another company makes the Peavey Valveking because Valvekings are made in China? No.

Bashing MGs is stupid. I've never seen MGs bashed anywhere as bad as they are here, not at HC, not at TGP, nowhere else is such a big deal made about how much these amps suck.

Yeah but people who are considering buying them should read a few reviews or look at what other users say before buying them. Also this forum gets about 10 new MG threads a day so it's important that theres one place for all the MG woes of the world rather than loads of people saying 'help my mg sucks'.
PROS:

-Durable (I've literally kicked mine full on and played it, not to mention multiple drops and stair tumbles)
-Clean sounds great
-4 Built in DFX ('verb, delay, flange, chorus) and stand-alone volume control for those effects.
-FDD kinda cool
-YOU GOT A MARSHALL. YOUR NOT POOR.
-Overdrive sounds good.

CONS:

-Poor losers flame about your amp all day.
-High volume shredding sounds like ****.

Conclusion: Take it for what it is folks: its a ****ing practice amp for christ sake. So its got a high price tag on it, les pauls are overpriced too but you dont hear people bitching about them.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
PRO: a decent quality practice amp series (id say only the MG15 is worth it if at all)

back when I started I bought an MG15DFX cause I didnt know any better. though the tone isnt great, its a 15w practice amp ffs, and the thing has had absolutely no problems for over 4 years, so w/e was worth it for me to learn on I suppose.

CON: overpriced
there are better options out there for the money.

For those who dont understand why everyone hates on MGs...its quite simple. Many of the half and full stacks, or even MG30 and 50's are complete **** for how much they cost. Sure, they arent the worst thing, but it annoys a lot of people that someone would actually pay the price for such a lackluster amp, when there are great amps for the same price tag.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Last edited by nvranka at Feb 17, 2009,
f*ck les pauls!

^no
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by gizmodious
PROS:

-Durable (I've literally kicked mine full on and played it, not to mention multiple drops and stair tumbles)
-Clean sounds great
-4 Built in DFX ('verb, delay, flange, chorus) and stand-alone volume control for those effects.
-FDD kinda cool
-YOU GOT A MARSHALL. YOUR NOT POOR.
-Overdrive sounds good.

CONS:

-Poor losers flame about your amp all day.
-High volume shredding sounds like ****.

Conclusion: Take it for what it is folks: its a ****ing practice amp for christ sake. So its got a high price tag on it, les pauls are overpriced too but you dont hear people bitching about them.

actually, theres a LOT of people bitching about the high price of gibsons.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
actually, theres a LOT of people bitching about the high price of gibsons.

exactly
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
exactly

although, comparing a product like a gibson les paul to a marshall MG... is ridiculous - people don't bitch about anything other than the price, and quality control, of gibsons. Because gibson les pauls are awesome guitars. What are the old MGs? Crap-tastic.

Quote by Blompcube
although, comparing a product like a gibson les paul to a marshall MG... is ridiculous - people don't bitch about anything other than the price, and quality control, of gibsons. Because gibson les pauls are awesome guitars. What are the old MGs? Crap-tastic.

exactly pt. 2
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by BobChicken
i was honestly hoping this would be a thread about the cars... =[

lol guitars and cars in one place might be too much awesome for the world to handle.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Yeah but people who are considering buying them should read a few reviews or look at what other users say before buying them. Also this forum gets about 10 new MG threads a day so it's important that theres one place for all the MG woes of the world rather than loads of people saying 'help my mg sucks'.

So what? It's a guitar forum. If people hate threads about MGs so badly, just ignore them. I'm never bothered by the excessive MG threads, I just don't read them, what I'm more bothered about is how anytime anyone with an MG asks a question, he can never get it answered. Instead all they get is "get a new amp," and everyone else jumps onboard with this being "good advice." It's like everyone is an amp expert. It's fine to suggest that they might need a new amp, but seriously, answer the damn question the TS asked.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 17, 2009,
The way I see it, all Marshalls are overpriced, so it's not really a fault of the MG, just Marshall in general.

As for the MG itself, I see it as

Pros: Decent cleans, OD 1 is usuable.
Has some effects, and takes others pretty well for the most part.

Cons: Crunch and OD 2 are pretty bad.

As for the reliability I can't say, but I wouldn't believe anybody outright calling them unreliable as a whole unless I saw some statistics.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
I bought an MG15 when I first started playing guitar, it got me started, I still have it as my practise amp after 2 and a half years and it's fine. I use the school's bigger amps for practise there with my band and my dad's Spider 75 watt for gigs (which is VERY rare right now and I'm saving up for a big amp for gigs). I have no problem with MGs whatsoever because I don't regret buying mine for £50.

I think most of the people that bitch over MGs are the people that made the mistake of buying big ones in the first place and are too immature just to send a damn complaint to Marshall!

Yes they're overpriced and you all say people buy them just cause they're Marshalls, and they'll be disappointed with them when they make the mistake, but clearly you're the ones who already made the mistake of buying a huge overpriced Marshall in the first place to support this view! Either that or you're just a tag-along that likes telling people how **** their stuff is.

Quote by al112987
So what? It's a guitar forum. If people hate threads about MGs so badly, just ignore them. I'm never bothered by the excessive MG threads, I just don't read them, what I'm more bothered about is how anytime anyone with an MG asks a question, he can never get it answered. Instead all they get is "get a new amp," and everyone else jumps onboard with this being "good advice." It's like everyone is an amp expert.

that's usually because they are asking things like "my guitar sounds ok on clean but overdrive sucks, which pickups are good for overdrive?"

Quote by al112987
So what? It's a guitar forum. If people hate threads about MGs so badly, just ignore them. I'm never bothered by the excessive MG threads, I just don't read them, what I'm more bothered about is how anytime anyone with an MG asks a question, he can never get it answered. Instead all they get is "get a new amp," and everyone else jumps onboard with this being "good advice." It's like everyone is an amp expert.

you dont have to be an amp expert to reccommend a new amp to someone who has a mg100 stack and is trying to gig/play live with it
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Blompcube
that's usually because they are asking things like "my guitar sounds ok on clean but overdrive sucks, which pickups are good for overdrive?"

and.....
"what effects/Distortion/overdrive pedal can make my sound better???"
feel free to add me
Quote by Holy-Diver
you dont have to be an amp expert to reccommend a new amp to someone who has a mg100 stack and is trying to gig/play live with it

Some people don't have $500+ to spend on a new gigging amp just because a bunch of retarded bandwagoners on some internet forum told them to.
Quote by Horlicks
Some people don't have $500+ to spend on a new gigging amp just because a bunch of retarded bandwagoners on some internet forum told them too.

then they shouldnt come on here and ask why their live sound isnt good
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Horlicks
Some people don't have $500+ to spend on a new gigging amp just because a bunch of retarded bandwagoners on some internet forum told them to.

well, they did spend more than that if they bought an MG stack, which is the reason why everyone hates MGs i guess - they waste their money on it, and regret buying it, but can't afford anything better.

Actually, pedals do help the MG. Ibanez TS-9/EHX Big Muff or other such pedals into MG clean = good tone

Quote by Horlicks

awww
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
@Blompcube
you're right bro......... but some (alot)UGers play metal and if they have an MG and likes to make their sound better the buy a distortion pedal that has the word metal on it.......... and then they complain that their sound sucks with the MG and the distortion...........
feel free to add me
Quote by Blompcube
well, they did spend more than that if they bought an MG stack, which is the reason why everyone hates MGs i guess - they waste their money on it, and regret buying it, but can't afford anything better.

Actually, pedals do help the MG. Ibanez TS-9/EHX Big Muff or other such pedals into MG clean = good tone

Assuming they'd spent all their money on their amp though, which is what generally happens, it's a little pointless telling them to get a new amp.

May as well just not mention the sound to them, they'd probably be better off not being forced to hate thier amp. Ignorance is bliss.

Also remember that doing this usually makes them into a different, more annoying type of idiot.
A Valveking idiot.
Quote by nvranka
awww

I'm sorry, what?
Last edited by Horlicks at Feb 17, 2009,
Page 1 of 2