I'd like to learn a couple of songs off All Hope is Gone but they are in Drop C. When I tune my guitar that low my strings are really floppy and it makes playing a pain.

So the question, will it sound the "same" if I just tune down to Drop D as long as I'm not playing with anyone else? Or is there a tuning that will give me similar sound without making my strings act like old lady boobies?
You need thicker strings to handle that low of a tuning. I don't suggest Drop D for a song, if you can get thicker strings. Just get your guitar set up for the new strings.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by merriman44
So the question, will it sound the "same" if I just tune down to Drop D as long as I'm not playing with anyone else?
Yes, if you are not playing along the song.
Drop tunings generally do cause your strings to be looser and can give you some trouble with fret buzz. Generally the thing to do about it is either move up to a larger string gauge or have the guitar set up specifically for drop tuning.

Personally, my main guitar has a locking trem so I can't change the tuning on it much. I leave it at standard EADGBE with 0.10's on it and I have my other guitar set up with 0.11's and all adjusted to full time drop C. Before I did this I used to change back and forth all the time and have kinda crappy results like you're describing.

Remember, Drop D is DADGBE. Drop C is CGCFAD. It's one full step apart and You'll hear a difference unless you transpose up two frets.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Last edited by AndyR83 at Feb 17, 2009,
Boy, Andy, I nearly got you for saying they were both C.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
What song on All Hope Is Gone is in Drop C? I am under the impression that most of the album is in the usual Slipknot tuning of Drop B.
Playing in drop D should be fine for getting the muscle memory down. I play in drop D when practicing a drop C song alot because I just can't be bothered to downtune.

Tl;dr: It's fine for practice, but that's about it
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by guitarmaniac88
Boy, Andy, I nearly got you for saying they were both C.

haha yeah, I caught that one myself luckily
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Quote by Mega-Tallica
What song on All Hope Is Gone is in Drop C? I am under the impression that most of the album is in the usual Slipknot tuning of Drop B.

Almost all the songs slipknot plays are in drop B, exept for 2 which are in drop A. Slipknot does not use any C tunings in their songs.
I like Scotch...... Its good
So could I then tune to Drop D and move up 5 frets to be in drop A? I'm now confused.
Quote by merriman44
So could I then tune to Drop D and move up 5 frets to be in drop A? I'm now confused.

No, when you drop tune, you DROP tune. Not raise tune. Just do what I said to get the muscle memory down. Then if you feel like playing it the real way, get some thicker strings and drop all the way.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Mega-Tallica

THANK YOU! Drop A and B for all hope is gone.
Actually all the songs on All Hope Is Gone are in drop a... maybe one or two are in b, but I know the majority are in a.

And the answer to your problem might be just getting thicker gauge strings.
Wow this ones been dead for a month folks but good info anyhow. i was surprised to see it back up here.