I have been trying to record with my Carvin V3 head and avatar 2x12 cab with v30s. I love the sound of my amp, it is very tight and gives good distortion. I use an sm57 going to my toneport. However everytime i try to record, no matter what my settings are or mic position. I somehow always end up hearing playing as if i was playing through a fuzz pedal. It is a very undefined tone and the only way i can describe it is very fuzzy.
what software do you use?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Is it clipping like a mother ****er?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
its not clipping.

Ok this is the problem, i either get this really deep thick round sound which is not very articulate. But if i turn the treble/presence up and the mids down to get rid of the roundness i start to get a fuzzy type of distortion. This is all with no eqing and such as from what ive read is that when recording you should try to get your tone before eqing and only eq for final touches.

Here is what im thinking.

1. I suck at setting my amp (which i doubt what i hear coming out of the amp is almost always good but it never records good)

2. Bad mic placement (possibly)

3. Limitations of my room/toneport (most likely)

4. Due to the limitations i will probably need to eq to get the tone i want. (also very likely).

I will post some clips of the sounds im getting.
That will probably help.

You need to set your amp to sound good recorded, not good to the ear.

This is a common accident.

It can sound like **** to the ear, but fantastic recorded.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Yea i've been setting up the amp while using my headphones so that i dont mistake the amp sound to the recorded sound.

Clips will be up tomorrow.
It may be clipping, but i doubt it. The problem is probably the mic placement. I used to have a similar problem. What you should do first sit down on the floor so your head is level with the speakers. You may even want to put your ear right up to the grill. This will ensure that you're hearing what your mic hears. If you're standing above your amp when getting your settings, you going to hear something completely different.

Now as for mic placement, put your 57 right where you put your ear when getting your tone. I find that if i sit directly in front of the amp while finding my tone, and then put a 57 right up against the grill, then i get a sound practically identical to what i heard in the first place.

If you're already doing this or something similar, then the problem could be your mic/software.

Also, i wanna stress having the mic TOUCH the grill. When i first started recording i made the mistake of having the mic a few inches away, and this always gave me a weird fuzzy tone.

www.myspace.com/pazminoproject
Alright i will do that.

On another note. I have the v3 set in the 50 watt mode. But i am in a small room, so it can get really loud. Is it recommended to record as loud as feasible with as little gain added on through my interface, or record a normal practice volume and add gain through the interface.
Although I'm just listening on my computer speakers, it sounds fine from here.

The #1 most common mistake when recording electric guitar is that it takes a while to learn that you *never* need as much gain when recording as you do live. Less is invariably more in this case.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.