So with the purchase of new recording gear coming soon, another question of mine has popped up.

I've decided I want to buy a cheap bass for recording with, and simply record direct-in w/a plug-in or something of the like. How exactly would I go about that? What's a good, relatively inexpensive bass? (Are the ones on Rondomusic good?), and will I need anything else with it? (Software/plug-in wise)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
The greatest, inexpensive bass I've found is the OLP Stingray copies. Not sure how they can offer that quality at that price but they kick ass. (That said I also have an ancient P-Bass copy called a Marina that is outstanding but I don't think you can find one of those if you tried.) Ibanez and Yamaha also make decent low-budget stuff.

For recording just plug straight in and use a slight distorsion effect to liven things up a bit. If you want you can go the pedal route and then I recommend the Behringer BDI 21 which is inexpensive but very versatile. It doesn't really sound all that good by itself but it sits very well in a mix.
I would suggest a di box like a sans amp driver
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
I run mine through an audio interface and amplitubes Ampeg whatever bass amp emulator. works great.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm