i cant decide which type to look into. when i get my bday money (around £150) plus the cash i get from my parents monthly (£52) after a few months ill have a buget of about £300-400 and i cant decide whether to look into combo amplifiers or halfstacks. i mostly play metal and i am in a band, so the possibility is there that it could be used for gigging.

ive been scouting ebay but nothing has caught my eye just jet.

also, what do y'all think of the Vox VT-30 for metal/hard rock?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

a roland cube would be more suited towards your style than a vox.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
combos are a little more portable but weigh more as they dont have a removable head. plus with a half stack you can update later for a new head or new cab, and i think they're more adaptable but i don't have one yet.
At that price range, you're probably better off looking into a combo.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
for 400 im sure you can find a USED Peavey XXX combo in your local music shop or Ebay.
its a very versatile amp and it can last you for years.....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
iunno if you can find a used xxx combo for 400, but the bugera combos are pretty cheap, they will all do metal really well for the price. Just make sure you tighten the screws and bias the tubes right when you get it.
FS LTD EC-50 with GFS PowerRails Bridge pickup
well i have a combo amp and i think it's great. Also, you can add on other cabs to it so if you want more noise, you can have more. I have a vox vt-30 also and its i nice tube amp. But i might swing for a 50 watt. For metal though, i'm not sure. It does fine for punk, but i think it would sound fine for metal too.
equipment:
Gibson SG Special ltd.
Peavey JF2EX
Fender Kingman SCE
Vox AD30Vt
Line6 Spider III 150

Quote by Philip_pepper

Be sure to be able to recite at least one Shakespeare quote before and after each song.

Out loud, or in your head, it's up to you.
^ Truth

People (including myself a year ago) always go for the lesser quality amp in halfstack, rather than the higher quality combo. Then they (I) get it and realize its a pain in the ass to move, and not significantly louder or better sounding than its combo counterpart.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
for 400 im sure you can find a USED Peavey XXX combo in your local music shop or Ebay.

I had my doubts but found one on ebay with a Buy it Now at $450. That's a heck of a deal IMO. I prefer to craigslist gear so I can try the actual item first, but I also realize that a lot of people don't have that luxury.
http://www.coda-music.com/

this is the best store near me for most things guitar related.

can you look through and see what they got thats good for metal?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

would any of the marshall JCM (eg JCM 600) be okay for metal/hard rock? because ive seen alot of JCMs and other simelar models go for not too much cash on ebay

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
would any of the marshall JCM (eg JCM 600) be okay for metal/hard rock? because ive seen alot of JCMs and other simelar models go for not too much cash on ebay

jcm 800 with an OD should do metal.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.