Page 1 of 2
So I found a Hot Rod Deluxe for sale and I'm interested. He will sell me his 2005 amp with new tubes, moded reverb somehow, and here's the difference.

Either 480 dollars for stock speaker
or
550 for an electro voice speaker in it.

Anybody know anything about those speakers. Is it a good deal?
I say just go with the stock speaker. If you really don't like it, you can always switch it out later on. It's a pretty good deal for a Hot Rod Deluxe.
you dont even know how the reverb is modded, its less than a year from being out of its 5 year transferrable warranty, and you dont even know for sure if the tubes are new.

not to mention, your considering paying some random guy extra to put in a speaker that may be new, or may be used. also, theres probably no service records of the tubes being put in, the reverb being modded, or the new speaker being purchased.

get all the info, and then consider it.
yeah I was gonna make sure about that first, and play on it or something, just so I know it sounds alright.

This is what he wrote in the description.

2005 fender hrdlx in great shape w/ reverb mod . also tube and speaker upgrade . E V Force ! comes w/ foot pedal and manual ! this thing rocks ! i have smoothed out the distortion channel which gives it a nice warm sound that gets better , the louder you get !
That doesn't seem like a very good price, I see lots of ended auctions on ebay for 350-450 dollars. Unless it sounds a lot better than a stock one then pass because you can get one a lot cheaper.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
but then i'd have to have it shipped and that would add money, and from what i've seen theyre usually not in as good condition on ebay
I didn't mean off ebay, I meant anywhere. Unless that amp is better than any other HRD then it's a rip off. Have a little patience and I guarantee you can find one for under 400 bucks.
This is the reverb mod he did

"Steve Dallman Mod it removes the treble bypass . give a warmer sound"
Quote by Kevin Saale
I didn't mean off ebay, I meant anywhere. Unless that amp is better than any other HRD then it's a rip off. Have a little patience and I guarantee you can find one for under 400 bucks.

This amp retails for $700. With the quality of Fender products and how they can last forever, I wouldnt count on finding one less that $450, as resale value for good products does not drop THAT much.
Quote by bigfoamfinger
This amp retails for $700. With the quality of Fender products and how they can last forever, I wouldnt count on finding one less that $450, as resale value for good products does not drop THAT much.

Do the research, they go for less than 450 all the time. They used to sell for 600 new, and before that they were 4-500 new, they've just gone up in price is all. These aren't high quality amps, they're just Made in Mexico, PCB mounted standard fare. If you think these are uber reliable amps then ask Chea_man what he thinks. His didn't take too well to going on tour.

Reverb mod huh? Still sounds like a rip off, find one cheaper.
I have seen several Hot Rod Deluxes in pawn shops here in Austin, Tx.
Probably more than any other model amp. Lots of starving musicians in this town and the HRD is a popular amp.
Most of the ones I have come across have not been in great condition nor were they under $450. They always seem to play fine though.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Do the research, they go for less than 450 all the time. They used to sell for 600 new, and before that they were 4-500 new, they've just gone up in price is all. These aren't high quality amps, they're just Made in Mexico, PCB mounted standard fare. If you think these are uber reliable amps then ask Chea_man what he thinks. His didn't take too well to going on tour.

Reverb mod huh? Still sounds like a rip off, find one cheaper.

ok so do you recommend another specific amp?
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/1038232293.html USA made, 350$ Great deal
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/msg/1036932722.html Blonde, 400$, 425$ delivered
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/1037681231.html 400$
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/1036249529.html 400$
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/1034941430.html 400$
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/msg/1016002256.html 400$
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/1034991987.html 300$ Steal

And the list goes on. Where do you live TS, I could probably find one on CL for you.

Edit: TS, it's not a bad amp, I was just pointing out to the one poster it's not the greatest thing since sliced cheese. For the price it's cleans are impossible to beat, the overdrive leaves something to be desired though.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Feb 17, 2009,
Well I've checked Craigslist here allover michigan and this is one of the few amps in my price range and of quality. And Ebay usually does have some selling for about 450 but those are in places all over the country that I'd have to get shipped. And the local store here had one a while ago but theyre all out of used ones now.
So I'm considering this one so I dont miss out on a good chance again.
I second what Kevin is saying, I see them for less than that all the time. I've seen them for $350 here in Chicago occasionally.
Here's a blonde blues jr by you for $300, nice.
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/msg/1037429936.html

But if you are set on a hot rod, just keep trolling criagslist. You can try before you buy.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Kevin Saale
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/1038232293.html USA made, 350$ Great deal
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/msg/1036932722.html Blonde, 400$, 425$ delivered
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/1037681231.html 400$
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/1036249529.html 400$
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/1034941430.html 400$
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/msg/1016002256.html 400$
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/1034991987.html 300$ Steal

And the list goes on. Where do you live TS, I could probably find one on CL for you.

Edit: TS, it's not a bad amp, I was just pointing out to the one poster it's not the greatest thing since sliced cheese. For the price it's cleans are impossible to beat, the overdrive leaves something to be desired though.

Lets see, never did I say that it was the greatest thing since sliced cheese, or even close. I was giving observation based on what I have seen in my area how much these things go for. I also have more important things to do than search different US geographic regions for prices on these things for the heck of proving to someone that it actually IS possible that they CAN sell for under 450. That will surely help the TS, IF he lives in one of those areas. You bash the quality- I have talked to numerous owners of this amp who swear by it. Yes they are entry level Fenders, but theyre still good
Yeah, don't jump because it's the only one. Actually, if I was you I'd offer the guy like 375 or something and see what he comes back with. If he doesn't bite then just have him contact you when he's ready for a deal. In the meantime do as greg said and keep lurking, a good deal will pop up. The HRD is considered the most popluar tube amp of all time, there's plenty of them out there to be found.

Edit: I never bashed the quality, just making the point that they don't last forever
Quote by dougl126
Well I've checked Craigslist here allover michigan and this is one of the few amps in my price range and of quality. And Ebay usually does have some selling for about 450 but those are in places all over the country that I'd have to get shipped. And the local store here had one a while ago but theyre all out of used ones now.
So I'm considering this one so I dont miss out on a good chance again.

True man. Shipping a 40 pound amp could get expensive depending where you get it from Plus, you will probably want to try it out. Craigslist seems like the best bet. I suggest a pedal too. The DS1 is pretty good and also pretty cheap
Quote by bigfoamfinger
True man. Shipping a 40 pound amp could get expensive depending where you get it from Plus, you will probably want to try it out. Craigslist seems like the best bet. I suggest a pedal too. The DS1 is pretty good and also pretty cheap

I shipped mine for about 40 bucks from MO to TN. I shipped my F30 which was heavier to Virgnina for about the same. That US one would be worth having shipped to you, absolutely.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I shipped mine for about 40 bucks from MO to TN. I shipped my F30 which was heavier to Virgnina for about the same. That US one would be worth having shipped to you, absolutely.

Those are phenomenal stories, but please try to help the TS out instead of trying to prove me wrong on every post. Ebay can be expensive. Never did I say It is ALWAYS expensive. I doubt TS wants to pay an extra $40 if he can find one locally on Craigslist

Look at a map. MO to TN is a couple states away, and its still 40 bucks. If he got one from somewhere like Cali sent to Michigan it would be even more.
Dude, I know what a map looks like, but even if you went cross country it wouldn't be that much, shipping rates aren't determined by lbs x miles. FWIW, that US made one is in Cincinnati, which is pretty damn close to MI. I'm not just trying to prove you wrong, it's just, you are wrong.

I don't see how convincing the TS to pay too much for an HRD is helping, but I what do I know?
Quote by Kevin Saale
Dude, I know what a map looks like, but even if you went cross country it wouldn't be that much, shipping rates aren't determined by lbs x miles. FWIW, that US made one is in Cincinnati, which is pretty damn close to MI. I'm not just trying to prove you wrong, it's just, you are wrong.

I don't see how convincing the TS to pay too much for an HRD is helping, but I what do I know?

Actually everything I said was pretty on key. Recommending a " beat up"(according to the listing) 12 year old amp just because its made in the US is whats wrong. Fender MIM stuff is pretty good stuff- maybe check the website with the photo tour of the plant. IF that guy will ship it to him, yes it wont be too expensive to ship, but odds are its a pickup. What does showing him random Craigslist postings that arent in his area do for him? It doesnt matter if theyre cheaper in Portland. Im sure he knows how to use Craigslist too.
Last edited by bigfoamfinger at Feb 17, 2009,
I thought they lasted forever? Doesn't look too beat up from the pictures. Certainly a better option than an amp that's been modded by what could be an amateur that botched the job.

Edit: I'm not bashing the MIM stuff, I own an MIM fender strat and BJr, but the american made versions of these amps are better, plain and simple.

The point wasn't for him to buy them, simply to show they are plentiful at that range and spending 480 on one is ripping yourself off.

Sorry for arguing in your thread TS, hope you find what you're looking for. Also, if you're interested in look into other amps a budget and genres you play would be helpful, as would knowing if you gig or not.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I thought they lasted forever? Doesn't look too beat up from the pictures. Certainly a better option than an amp that's been modded by what could be an amateur that botched the job.

Edit: I'm not bashing the MIM stuff, I own an MIM fender strat and BJr, but the american made versions of these amps are better, plain and simple.

The point wasn't for him to buy them, simply to show they are plentiful at that range and spending 480 on one is ripping yourself off.

Sorry for arguing in your thread TS, hope you find what you're looking for. Also, if you're interested in look into other amps a budget and genres you play would be helpful, as would knowing if you gig or not.

They do last forever. Im just saying I would rather have a new or nearly new MIM amp than a 12year old MIA amp. The pics look good, but most people describe stuff to be in good condition on CL (only played it 5 times, stuff like that). Anyone who openly admits in their post that its a little beat up must mean it is. They wouldnt lie about it to make it look worse. The difference between THESE amps is not a big as a difference between MIM and MIA guitars. A 12 yr old MIA guitar would be more than a lightly used MIM

I do agree with talking him out of that modded one though. It does seem like it can be a total disaster with someone inexperienced doing a mod.
Some people are just truthful. I find people are more trusting if you're a straight shooter and come right out with everything. I'm not saying to call the guy up and have it on the way tomorrow, I'd certainly want more/bigger pictures, specifically of the damaged areas. That being said, if it's only external damage then that amp really is a steal. Hell if I had the money I'd get it just to sell it again, not before modding it though.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Some people are just truthful. I find people are more trusting if you're a straight shooter and come right out with everything. I'm not saying to call the guy up and have it on the way tomorrow, I'd certainly want more/bigger pictures, specifically of the damaged areas. That being said, if it's only external damage then that amp really is a steal. Hell if I had the money I'd get it just to sell it again, not before modding it though.

I think we scared the TS away LOL. I would def. get more pics too and maybe find out the history of the amp- any electrical/wire damage or issues in the amp's lifetime?

Def. straight shoot too and dont be afraid to ask questions. The more you ask, hopefully the less likely ppl on CL will be to pull a fast one on you.
Yeah, that's one thing that isn't mentioned on this site a lot. You need to be wary when picking stuff up used. I'm pretty good with electronics so if I did have something break on me there's a good chance I could fix it. If you aren't though, then it could become expensive. You have to be wary of people unloading half broken junk that'll hold together just long enough for a test run.

Also, going in with the mindset that's you'll need to make a few repairs is a good idea, just like a used car. You get a good deal, even if you need to fix a few things. You just have to make sure you aren't rebuilding the engine and transmission in half a year. Always plan to replace the tubes on a used amp, even if the person says they're new.
ok well here's the link itself. And I have my own pictures of it, just too big so far to post them on here and I've talked with him so far about what hes done to it and cost.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/msg/1033024480.html

oh yeah and I play blues, classic rock mostly. But also play some metal with my roommate and clean christian stuff for campus crusade for christ.
Quote by dougl126
well I found a fender blues deluxe, if anyone cares anymore. its 400, and from what I understand the Hot Rod Deluxe and the Blues Deluxe are quite similar.

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/msg/1012566190.html

I think that's a better deal and amp anyway. You likely aren't going to use the drive on the HRD since you have a pedal. I'd say this one. Keep in mind, these are loud as snot. If you don't need all the volume, grab that blonde Bjr i posted. That's nice for $300, louder than a lot of people think and easily mod'd.
Between the two in your previous posts, I'd get the blues deluxe in a heartbeat. He'd probably take $350-375.

Edit: Good luck Spartan, I love that part of the country! Western Mi ftw!
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 18, 2009,
the only problem i see is that the blues deluxe is early ninetees, so its made in america, but older. is that a problem?
I can't see how that would be a bad thing, go check it out.
get the upraded speaker. the hot rod is a really mediocre amp

its great if you want a solid clean tone and plan on running high end pedals through it. my friend does this and his tone is fantastic

mine sounds great with my rig but for me it just doesnt do enugh when i run guitar straight to amp

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

how about practicing in a dorm room or a house with them? are they too loud? I think at the minimum volume they'd be alright
Quote by dougl126
how about practicing in a dorm room or a house with them? are they too loud? I think at the minimum volume they'd be alright

First off the volume knob on these amps is touchy as all heck. At least on the HRD, maybe not as much on the Blues but I would venture a guess it's very similar. Yes, loud as heII. If you are looking for a dorm amp, this ain't it. If you need it to gig and occasionally play quiet, maybe. If you're looking for a good dorm amp and occasionally play with friends and a drummer, then you should seriously consider the Blonde Blues Jr I posted on the other page for $300.
the ad looks a bit shady.

buy an HRD or BD and just get an Ebay volume box. It gives you a master volume so you dont have to weaken your signal by using your guitar volume knob.
Last edited by RHCPFitz at Feb 18, 2009,
maybe I should add a poll... or i should give up this thread since i'm just talking to myself.
Page 1 of 2