Could anyone link me to an overall guide with some tips and tricks or general guidelines about mastering? I'm starting basic EQing but I'm pretty lost otherwise. Or someone could write one and get it stickied, sounds like it'd be a massive undertaking though. It'd be cool to have something like this (thanks doommaker ). I don't necessarily need some in depth guide, just a beginners thing to get started. I'm personally using Ableton Live if that helps.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
there is lots of stuff on the SOS website, however EQing is normally before the mastering stage.
Quote by DegaMeth
there is lots of stuff on the SOS website, however EQing is normally before the mastering stage.

You EQ pre mastering. However it's not unusual to also EQ in the final mastering process.

I'm assuming your talking about the new type of "mastering"..?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Thanks. Oh lol I don't even know the stages I was thinking EQing was part of mastering.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
the main things your going to be doing in mastering is adding compression and dong a master EQ, the best tip I can give you is to make sure you are using good monitors, preferably in a room that's had acoustic treatment, although that's not necessary if you know how to compensate for it.

Quote by XxXshadowboyXxX
Thanks. Oh lol I don't even know the stages I was thinking EQing was part of mastering.

it is, you generally EQ at least twice during production (and that's minimal)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by willieturnip
You EQ pre mastering. However it's not unusual to also EQ in the final mastering process.

I'm assuming your talking about the new type of "mastering"..?

I was just referring to eqing seperate instruments which is the first priority. i watched a dvd David Gibson the art of mixing. Its absolutely bonkers but its very thought provoking.

For the threadstarter, here is some stuff i learned from experience

1 Dont go to extremes..in every sense you need to keep everything balanced, for example metal bands adding too much bass or distoriton. everything must fit in the mix so proritise 1 vocal 2 guitar 10 bongos in terms of importance and volume. think of the song in terms of a eq pedal...you need to have a balance of frequencies

2 Its all about the gear..if you are recording in a nice studio with good gear and musicians then you are 90 percent there already..which means you have to not go overboard with editing and stuff. Very common producers will add too much compression when its not needed.

3 for demos, there is no point emulating a abbey road sterling sound produced record so just emphasise the vibe and the rawness. i think peace sells megadeth is a good example its so bad sounding but very raw. Same with the Strokes first album.
Last edited by DegaMeth at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by brokenwizard
This guide is pretty good. It's specific to the plugin but also general tips too

Click Here

Izotope is a great plugin too, you should think about aquiring it one way or other. You can get a free trial from the webstie.

Meh, Ozone makes it way to easy to mess up your tracks, you'd be better off just using standalone EQ and compression plugs.

Quote by DegaMeth
I was just referring to eqing seperate instruments which is the first priority. i watched a dvd David Gibson the art of mixing. Its absolutely bonkers but its very thought provoking.

yeah, but you EQ during the mastering process as well, for different reasons.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Meh, Ozone makes it way to easy to mess up your tracks, you'd be better off just using standalone EQ and compression plugs.

yeah, but you EQ during the mastering process as well, for different reasons.

as stated eqing at the editing stage is first priority and i dont think he is even at that stage no offense to ts
Quote by DegaMeth
as stated eqing at the editing stage is first priority and i dont think he is even at that stage no offense to ts

Editing? you mean mixing right? editing is usually when you match up the parts to make sure everything syncs up and add overdubs.

Last.fm