I personally can't stand all this shredding nonsense.

I do admit, you must be talented to pull it off, BUT, it makes me feel sick listening to it.

The players have no soul, emotion or fire in what they're playing - just a ridiculous amount of notes a second!!!

Am I the only one who finds it unnecessary?
You're listening to the wrong shredders then.... many of them play with emotion that rivals any other genre of music.

This is coming from a person who prefers folk and indie music.
I think if you start debating why shredders play what they do then you have to look at why solos exist in the first place in any genre, as many of them fail to serve any real purpose aside from extending the song and making the players look good

Personally I think shred playing is fantastic and enjoy listening to it
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Kaos_00
You're listening to the wrong shredders then.... many of them play with emotion that rivals any other genre of music.

This is coming from a person who prefers folk and indie music.

Well, I wouldn't go that far, that's as wrong as the TS's post, But certainly there is some emotional shredding.

Personally I don't care for alot of it. What I don't like about it is that alot of it has little to say/express beyond.... "look how good I am".

The "look how good I am" theme is so overdone it's not even interesting anymore. It's become incredibly cliche / generic.

That being said, there is talent involved and it's not fair to say that shredders "play with no emotion or soul"

TS:

the best solution to feeling sick about shredding, is to simply not listen to it. There is SOOOOO many other things out there to listen to. Find what you do like and listen to that.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 17, 2009,
some shredders you should take a listen to, if you haven't already:

vinnie moore
john petrucci / dream theater
jordan rudess (keyboard player from dream theater)
al di meola (lol)
joe satriani (some would consider him so)
gonçalo pereira
yngwie malmsteen

just the first guys i can remember from the top of my head.