the volume on the 'clean' channel on my peavey xxx drops considerably when i play through my pedalboard but is fine when i switch to the 'crunch' or 'ultra' channel. is there a pedal in my chain that would cause this? should i have my pedals in a different order? thanks in advance.

chain:

guitar>wah>whammy>bigmuff>dm4>compression>ds1>flanger>reverb/delay>chromtuner>xxx
First of all, put the tuner first, you'll get the best results that way.

And try turning up the clean channel more. If that doesn't work, look into getting a clean boost.
tried all that^. the volume on the 'clean' channel is set the same as the other 2 channels. when i switch from 'crunch' to 'clean' the volume drops about half way. i dont get it.
Quote by tastethepoison
tried all that^. the volume on the 'clean' channel is set the same as the other 2 channels. when i switch from 'crunch' to 'clean' the volume drops about half way. i dont get it.

...So turn up the clean channel more.
A compressor is what you are looking for. This will even out your volume on your clean channel. A good bit of country artists use a compressor for the same reason.

Plenty to choose from.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by GNRjungle87
...So turn up the clean channel more.

Exactly, clean channels are always quieter in my experience.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
How high do you have the crunch and ultra channels eq dials set? If they are all over 6 then that will add output,gain and volume since those controls are active.

I also recommend setting the master volume high and keeping the channel volumes lower. This will balance the channels out more.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I always find that clean channels are quieter because they have less gain...which is essentially...volume.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i guess i could turn the volume up on my clean channel but it still doesnt explain why its so quiet when run through my pedalboard. if i plug my guitar directly into the amp i do not have this problem. the clean channel is just as loud as the other 2.
Quote by tastethepoison
i guess i could turn the volume up on my clean channel but it still doesnt explain why its so quiet when run through my pedalboard. if i plug my guitar directly into the amp i do not have this problem. the clean channel is just as loud as the other 2.

Do you use one of those pedals to boost something on the overdrive channels?
Do you use one of those pedals to boost something on the overdrive channels?

no. i have this problem when all the pedals are off.
having a bunch of pedals can result in a signal drop somewhere along the chain. A boost such as the MXR micro amp can help as well as a compressor. It could be that your pedals are being underpowered, either by a weak battery or a faulty power supply
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
It's not worth getting new gear, just turn up the clean channel, is it really that hard?
IMO, you have way too much stuff lined up before the input. Like snot clogging up your sinus'
One bad patch cord, cable jumper or dirty pedal jack and your signal path is comprimised.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by Van Noord
IMO, you have way too stuff lined up before the input. Like snot clogging up your sinus'

Yeah, there are like, 3 distortion pedals.
Try your pedals with the tuner>compressor>wah>wammy>distortion pedals>amp then the flanger, delay, reverb in the loop if it has one. It is possible to have to many pedals in series.
It might seem a bit odd to you, but it seems perfectly rational to me, unless I have a fundamental misunderstanding of gear.

You have too many pedals in front of your amp. You don't push a bunch of gain on the clean channel, so you don't quite have the juice to make it through all of those pedals. The other channels naturally have more gain, so you have the juice to make it through all of the pedals with only a minimal sacrifice in volume.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
You should use the effects loop of your amplifier. This way it would reduce the amount of pedals in the front, and you can use the gain of your amplifier effectively, this would improve your tone.