Hi guys

I want to get a travel guitar to take with me on business trips. I would prefer an electric one for silent practice in hotel rooms etc.

Do any of you guys have one you can recommend?
Disclaimer: All of the above is alleged. Believe it or not it's true.
^why electric??
acoustic is better but oh well.............

Budget??
Styles you play??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
A cheap squier, then put in a new nut and tuners so it'll stay in tune.

You're just planning to play unplugged right? As something to do in those hotel rooms?
Last edited by pak1351 at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by maccattack
Hi guys

I want to get a travel guitar to take with me on business trips. I would prefer an electric one for silent practice in hotel rooms etc.

Do any of you guys have one you can recommend?

I don't know of any silent electric guitars? That's kind of an oxy-moron. What do you mean exactly, can you elaborate?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
He probably means an electric guitar to play unplugged.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by gregs1020
I don't know of any silent electric guitars? That's kind of an oxy-moron. What do you mean exactly, can you elaborate?

as in he wont be playing with an amp duh

he wants something that he can still play but that wont make any noise to distrube other rooms

and in answer just get a cheap lp or strat copy and your away
Yeah sorry. I meant an electric to be played unplugged so as not to disturb people in other room etc. But maybe plug it in sometimes.

I dont want to get a full sized guitar. I want one of those travel guitars that you can take on planes as hand luggage etc.

Style is blues rock etc
I have the Traveler Speedster as my only guitar because I wanted something tiny and portable. I'm too much of a noob at guitar to give it any kind of review, but I like the neck a lot. It has a full-size neck with a a Les Paul scale length. Compared to a full-size guitar, it's less comfortable to play sitting down if you don't attach the included arm rest, and it sits kind of low because it's so small, but I just use a pillow under my arm on the couch. It's so tiny and easy to take places, especially without the arm rest, that it makes up for the less-comfortable playing position. It sounds good through my Pandora PX4D headphone amp. I haven't heard it through an amp yet (have a Vox DA5 on order). It does sound very nice playing without an amp attached.

For another $50, and if you prefer a Strat-style neck and scale length, you can get the Traveler EG-1. It has a built-in headphone amp (clean and dirty are your only choices). It's more comfortable to play sitting down, because the body is larger. I like the ones with a paint finish, not natural, because I can move my thumb along the back of the neck faster with the smoother finish. But like I said, I'm a beginner.

These are definitely "real" guitars and I'm surprised that more people don't have them.
Last edited by johnnylighton at Feb 17, 2009,
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
devillain foldable guitar. their website doesnt have pictures right now and they seem to be making less expensive models. one of the the best things if you want something small and playable.
You could always "Plug it in" to a small pocket amp and headphones if you wanted too. Its what I do with my electric (Well into my normal amp though) to play when everyone is asleep past midnight >_>
One of the problems with practicing electrics without an amp is that you'll have no idea of what it sounds like, and you can develop bad habits from doing so. So as said above, you'll want a pocket amp or one of those Pignose-type things.

Alternatively I'd recommend an Art & Lutherie Ami. They're parlour-sized guitars, so not full sized and very nice. There's a whole range of smaller acoustic guitars available that may be better suited for your purposes.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
A steinberger spirit will fit into most if not all overhead compartments, and it sounds very good unplugged.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
If you get any electric to travel with I really recommend a pocket pod and some headphones.
I just played my Traveler Speedster into a Korg Pandora PX4D with good quality over-the-ear headphones for a half hour. It sounds and plays fantastic, especially on the Pandora's clean settings, but the distortion settings are still decent (a little noisy but fun). Halfway through this session I attached the armrest, which made all the difference for playing position. This is a great setup for playing quietly around other people or for portability.
Quote by johnnylighton
I just played my Traveler Speedster into a Korg Pandora PX4D with good quality over-the-ear headphones for a half hour. It sounds and plays fantastic, especially on the Pandora's clean settings, but the distortion settings are still decent (a little noisy but fun). Halfway through this session I attached the armrest, which made all the difference for playing position. This is a great setup for playing quietly around other people or for portability.

Would you recommend the speedstar? i might be able to get a good deal on one...
Quote by maccattack
Would you recommend the speedstar? i might be able to get a good deal on one...

Just a small note its Speedster, in case you were wondering why you had a hard time finding it. I know I've seen it at my Guitar Center a lot, and ironically hanging up in the humidity controlled acoustic guitar room. I keep seeing it pop up a lot so it must be one of the more popular ones. Best thing I would say it to try going over to your guitar shop and trying it out and seeing how you like it. I would assume the tone would be a lot different since it doesn't have a full body. You might like it, might hate it, as with any guitar. Same as the strings may ring differently if you aren't plugged in than with a normal wood guitar.
Problem is that Im in Australia and ther arent too many of these around so if im gonna buy one ill have to buy it online. This means i wont get to 'try before i buy'. i guess thats why im asking for recommendations from people who have either owened one or at least played one.
Ooooh I see. Thats really too bad. Well I haven't played one but if i drop by the store sometime soon I guess I'll try one out for a little and get back to you on it. I've been kinda curious of the sound myself.
I think the Speedster is great and absolutely recommend it. At Guitar Center, I played their cheapest non-Epi Les Paul (something around $700USD, I think), their cheapest non-Squire Strat (don't know the price), and two Traveler models, the Speedster and the EG-1. I liked the EG-1 body a bit better because it's larger and easier to hold, but I liked the neck better on the Speedster. (EG-1 neck is very similar to a Strat, Speedster's neck is more like a Les Paul.) But compared to both full-size guitars, the Speedster's neck was at least as nice if not nicer, and it was more fun to play. After playing the Travelers, the Les Paul felt like a giant, heavy block of wood (Strats are still nicer to hold but not as portable).

What I've found is that the Speedster is easier to play sitting down when you have the armrest attached, and I think you need the armrest in order to use a strap. So it's a two-step process when you put it in to its gig back and take it out - you have to attach the armrest.

It does sound excellent with no amp attached, just playing the strings.

Here are some Speedster reviews is you want to see what other people think of it:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Traveler+Guitar/Speedster/10/1

EG-1 reviews:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Traveler+Guitar/Escape+EG-1/10/1
Last edited by johnnylighton at Feb 19, 2009,