I just put a SD Hot Rails in the bridge of my Strat copy and I'm wondering if I did the wiring right.

Bridge = No Hum
Bridge + Middle = Hum
Middle = Hum
Middle + Neck = No Hum
Neck = Hum

Is this how it usually works?
I think so, but i don't own a guitar with single coils, so I'm not sure
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
Most HSS strats have it so that only 1 coil in the humbucker is used in the bridge middle position. The reversed polarity of the coils will cancel the hum.
Cool, thanks. I was worried something might be out of phase or something. This is my first time messing with a guitar that's got single coils, and I've heard Duncans need the polarity reversed in Fenders. Mine's a Peavey, so I wasn't sure if that would be the case. I don't mind not splitting the coils on the humbucker though.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Most HSS strats have it so that only 1 coil in the humbucker is used in the bridge middle position. The reversed polarity of the coils will cancel the hum.

That doesn't apply here because he just put in the Hot Rails without getting a new selector switch or switching pot to split the coils. So both coils of the Hot Rails are being used and there's nothing to cancel the hum of the single coil when he's using both the HR and the middle pup.
You don't need an new pot or selector switch to wire it like that. Look at HSH Ibanezes, positions 2 and 4 are 1 coil of the humbucker and and the middle pickup.

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0134700_02C/SD0134700_02CPg4.pdf
http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0134700_02C/SD0134700_02CPg2.pdf
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Feb 17, 2009,
how bad is the hum?

was there hum before the pup was put in?

are the other two pups stock?

did you wire the red and white together?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
That's because they have different pickup selector switches installed than most Fenders. If you want coil splitting, you have four wires instead of two, all of which have to be wired to the switch, if it's HSH, that'd be ten wires all in all, on a regular strat with three single coils that'd only be six wires.
Fender does not install switches which take more than six wires if it's not necessary, simply because a more complicated switch is pricier than a basic switch.

EDIT: His strat was an SSS, the HSS wiring diagrams don't help here I fear.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 17, 2009,
Nah, I thought that too before modding my strat. Turns out mine had a simple switch installed like most others. Bad thing is that if you don't have the bridge pup slit, it totally screws up the sound in position 4.

Actually, some proof, you can see that there are only six soldering points on the switch:
http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0107400_02C/SD0107400_02CPg2.pdf