Hey, I bought my 60s reissue a while ago and the strings had the **** beat out of them then and now its even worse. I've been using GHS and Ernie Ball strings since I started playing 3 years ago. I wanna try something new. What does the pit suggest for my 60s reissue strat. Think super clean Yellow Ledbetter or Littlewing sort of tone. Thanks
UG's Prodigal Son
dr.....always dr
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
D'Adario
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
dr ftmfw

i bought them, i'm not chaning brands for a loooooooooooooong time now.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Elixir; last as long as hell, and sound good. I've played DR, Dunlop, EB, D'Addario, Dean Markley, Fender and generic brand strings, and I'm planning to try a set of EMP's if/when the set of Elixir's starts breaking. Elixir's have just always worked the best for me.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
i always liked elixir till i tried DR. The elixirs sound more sterile, they are very trebley sounding if thats even a word. Ive tried ernie ball, ghs, elixirs, and once I tried DR i never changed
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
i'm stayin with EB, I tried MANY other brands including: D'addario, DR, and Elixer. and all of those strings broke on me. now let me first tell you, I play in Drop D most of the time and i don't do crazy bends or strum too hard. I also checked my guitar for sharp edges and there are none. EB have never broke on me. EVER. so imo, EB are the best, but you should just try for yourself.
D'addario lights have been my go to strings for years now,they're worth a shot.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

i used to use d'adario's and i liked them but then i switched to elixers for the increased life.

then i tried ernie balls and the tone is just so much better than the diadarios or elixers IMO and it also felt like i had this crazy grip on the strings that really made it feel like bending and vibrato were so much easier. reading this thread though i'm tempted to try DR's
If you're looking for that pure blues tone, here's a couple pointers.

1. Never use coated strings. Sorry guys. Yes, they last longer, but they don't deliver the same tone as plain old Nickel wound.

2. Use heavier Strings. Sure, the light ones are easier to play, but they don't growl like .012's or .013's. It take some getting used to, but worth it in the long run IMO. Also they stay in tune better even when you're doing huge bends, and using your whammy.

3. Make sure when you re-string your guitar, you give them 3 full wraps or as close to it as possible. It's subtle, but I can hear a difference.

4. SRV tuned his down half a step, and I have to say, I like it. They are easier to play, and the fat that comes off of big strings tuned down is substantial. Too bad my bandmates prefer to play in standard tuning.

I made a quick recording of Little Wing the other night for a couple people that didn't believe me about something. I used a crappy little computer mic, and kept my 3rd take so it isn't great, but you can hear everything I just mentioned (except for tuning down half a step) in action on my profile.

Good to see someone else interested in the blues here btw. Cheers!
"There is only one thing more beautiful than one guitar - Two guitars" Frederic Chopin
Quote by strat2finish
If you're looking for that pure blues tone, here's a couple pointers.

1. Never use coated strings. Sorry guys. Yes, they last longer, but they don't deliver the same tone as plain old Nickel wound.

2. Use heavier Strings. Sure, the light ones are easier to play, but they don't growl like .012's or .013's. It take some getting used to, but worth it in the long run IMO. Also they stay in tune better even when you're doing huge bends, and using your whammy.

3. Make sure when you re-string your guitar, you give them 3 full wraps or as close to it as possible. It's subtle, but I can hear a difference.

4. SRV tuned his down half a step, and I have to say, I like it. They are easier to play, and the fat that comes off of big strings tuned down is substantial. Too bad my bandmates prefer to play in standard tuning.

I made a quick recording of Little Wing the other night for a couple people that didn't believe me about something. I used a crappy little computer mic, and kept my 3rd take so it isn't great, but you can hear everything I just mentioned (except for tuning down half a step) in action on my profile.

Good to see someone else interested in the blues here btw. Cheers!

1. That's BS. I use coated strings preferentially, though I use whatever is on-hand ans as such use both coated and non-coated, and one does not sound more or less bluesy than the other.

2. Not disputing it.

3. Not disputing it, though personally I don't nitpick that much about tone.

4. Yes.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
dean markley blue steel are my favourite strings. i've never tried DR's but ive tried elixers , ernie ball d'adario and always go back to dean markley blue steel i use 9-46 gauge and am very comfortabe with them.
Flatwounds.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
eh no ernie balls are the best hands down the best in tone and quality . even without an amp i play on the bus sometimes and can still hear my les paul over the roar of the engine. but if you must go with d'addario strings.
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)
I say this every time I see a string thread, but:

Strings are like women, man. They're a million different kinds out there, and the only way to find the one you like is to try them out to see if you're compatible.

I started with Ernie Ball, switched to D'Adarrio, and am now firmly in the DR camp. But in 5 years, who knows, I may get a recommendation from a player I trust and might try a new brand that I instantly take a liking to.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣