Ha man your gonna need a little more then just replies from some thread to understand. Try readin some of the colums about music theory. Try Zeguitarist ultimate-guide to guitar its awesome.
There are twelve notes in western music, C,D,E,F,G,A, and B. All of these (except E and B)have "Sharps" which are the notes in between them, I.E, C# (# means sharp) is halfway between C and D

And octave is the same note, but on whole set of notes up, so we go
C
C#
D
D#
E
F
F#
G
G#
A
A#
B
c < One octave higher than the first note
Quote by Ikonoklast
Tie her up and drive her into some woods, pour petrol over her and then ask her if she wants you back.

Anyone in Birmingham, England meet up for a Jam?

Quote by uk.mace
My hand gave me a handjob

Won't give me a f*cking blowjob though
the same note higher or lower up like a 5 on the e string and a 7 on the d string
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer
difficult to explain, though simple in practice. MrToucan pretty much got it, but you really should read some articles on theory. plenty of good ones here at UG!
an octave is the 8th degree of the tonic.

almost everything is based off the 12-note traditional western chromatic scale and how the notes are arranged gives us other scales. you can get major, minor, and all sorts of each.

start by studying the traditional major scale and the intervals between the notes.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Try reading this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/music_theory/basics_nobody_tells_you.html
Then this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/music_theory/intervals.html
A lot of good stuff in those 2 columns. First one really helped me understand the basics and once you get that down its relatively easy to learn most of the other stuff
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
An octave is the doubling of frequency of a note. All the other notes are arranged between the two notes.

EG, A = 440 Hz, an A an octave above =880Hz
The number and value of the notes between depend on the musical system being used.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
read the theory FAQ guide for all must knows
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by FischmungaXTR
An octave is the doubling of frequency of a note. All the other notes are arranged between the two notes.

EG, A = 440 Hz, an A an octave above =880Hz
The number and value of the notes between depend on the musical system being used.
In Equal Temperament, the multiple is the 12th root of 2. For example, to determine the pitch of the Bb 1/2 step above A440, multiply 440 by 1.05946309 to arrive at a value of 466.1637596. Continue this process chromatically upward until you reach the octave A880.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.