At the moment I'm working my way through the song guitars suck by bumblefoot. Now, if you've heard it, you'll realsie that its not the easiest song ever. Its all tapping, and at points uses a thimble to tap up above the neck, so it sounds like the 30th fret or whatever being hit. But my question to all you metal and technique guitarists out there: Should I also try to learn a different song that uss a different technique at the same time?
I've been playing for about 4 or 5 years now and I'm pretty happy with my playing. I'm really proud of my tapping in particular. But I never consciously developed it. Now I'm thinking its about time to get some better picking going on ( I know, I should have learnt this first - but if you can tap with 8 fingers then you don't really think of picking that much). So, should I just stick to learning bumblefoot, wait until I learn that and THEN move on to something else or should I learn that other picking song at the same time? What are your opinions on this?

And I dont think tapping is just a show off technique, one of my favorite musicians is stanley jordan and he only taps... yet it's still music
Last edited by Ibanezbloke at Feb 19, 2009,
Just some advice: learn alternate & ECONOMY picking at the same time.

I never learned economy picking and now it came back to bite me in the ass. Its that little extra speed you need to really shred through some serious arpeggios.

Great example of alternate picking: Avenged Sevenfold - Scream. The opening riff
says it all.

Edit: Personally I mix up what I want to learn. I find that if you focus too much on one technique you monitor it more than necessary and cant see your short term progress.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Last edited by gizmodious at Feb 17, 2009,
Learning to alternate pick well is the most frustrated I have ever been playing guitar. It angers me., therefor i must become amazing at it!
Quote by Ibanezbloke
But I never consciously developed it.

When your practice methods are haphazard, and it sounds like they are, you'll eventually reach a point where you can't go forward much anymore. It's like a weight chained to your leg that gets heavier and heavier.

If you knew how to practice, what steps to take, how it works, and how long it takes to accomplish things when you're applying correct practice, you can learn anything.
Get your picking down,especially your alternate picking.Tapping is cool and everything,but being a technique it gets old fast,and you absolutely need solid picking skills as a guitarist.Try picking some scales and arpeggio patterns with alternate until you build up good speed,timing,and accuracy.I personally try to alternate or economy pick just about everything I play,it sounds more fluid and dynamic to me.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.