Has anyone here played or owned this guitar? I'm considering buying it for my first electric. Unfortunately none of the nearby shops stock this, or any Schecter for that matter. So I would be buying it without playing it. I wish the new ones had an option for a rosewood fretboard, but I can probably live with the maple. I'm not too sure of the differences, but I am an acoustic player so I am used to a rosewood fretboard. How are the pick-ups? What is the string tension like? I would prefer a guitar with more tension, and was told larger scaled guitars (25.5") provide more string tension than a guitar with a 24.75" scale. I know this guitar is 25.5". Thank you for any input! Much appreciated.
I have a damien FR, I love schecter and would recommend them to most anyone.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
schecters are great, even the low end ones.

i would buy just about any schecter and be confident it would feel good.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
just make sure the place you buy from has a good return policy just in case it doesnt play that great.
I haven't played that specific model, but the Schetcers are great guitars and that looks like a REALLY nice guitar.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.

pros:
i tried the fender (owned for one day ) and returned it. because i didnt like the baseball bat neck and how headstock heavy it was.

this guitar is slightly headstock heavy in comparison, but easily adjusted with the right strap.

the pups are far superior to the stock fender pups. you've got a mini humbucker in the bridge, which splits for a convincing SC tone. and a dark humbucker in the neck which also splits.

i like how versatile this guitar is.

the strings feel more tense compared to my strats. a little like an lp. but a string change can make a big difference there.

inexpensive and the binding looks hot.

cons: the blocks kind of stand out on the neck, visually.
the neck gets a little sticky after playing, but you can rub it wt steel wool.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by jj1565

pros:
i tried the fender (owned for one day ) and returned it. because i didnt like the baseball bat neck and how headstock heavy it was.

this guitar is slightly headstock heavy in comparison, but easily adjusted with the right strap.

the pups are far superior to the stock fender pups. you've got a mini humbucker in the bridge, which splits for a convincing SC tone. and a dark humbucker in the neck which also splits.

i like how versatile this guitar is.

the strings feel more tense compared to my strats. a little like an lp. but a string change can make a big difference there.

inexpensive and the binding looks hot.

cons: the blocks kind of stand out on the neck, visually.
the neck gets a little sticky after playing, but you can rub it wt steel wool.

Aww yes, I was hoping you would respond! haha. I remembered seeing you post those pictures in another thread so I knew you owned the fastback. I just couldn't remember where it was or what your username was. So all in all, would you recommend the guitar? The coil-splitting is one of the main reasons I like it. That and the tele-shape. I was originally looking at Fender Tele's, but wanted something that could acheive tones with less treble as well. Since it is my first electric, I want something that is really versatile and can achieve many tones. Mainly because I don't really know the tone that I want yet with an electric. I've played acoustic for several years. But all those things are good to hear. Yeah the neck was the only thing that was deterring me from making a decision. I wasn't sure about the maple. So does the fretboard have a gloss finish over it or something? Or is it just unfinished? How long have you had yours? What kind of amp do you play through? (I have to buy an amp as well. Thinking about the Vox VT50.) I'm glad to hear that about the string tension and pups. If I ever wanted a pup upgrade, are compatible pups easy to find for that guitar? Thanks a lot for responding. I appreciate it!
let's see.

you're amp will determine how versatile this guitar will be.

i'm sure you know that with a crappy practice amp, you wont even be able to tell when it's split, neck or bridge.

vox modelling amps are pretty nice as far as SS amps go.
i tried those out, once upon a time. were pretty cool.
you might want to branch into tube amp territory. but that's really up to you.

as in how loud you play, if you plan to gig. that sort of thing.
sometimes a solid state amp just makes more sense.

i own a US masters 30 head and cab. it's a hand wired 30W tube amp that's perfect for me.

back to the guitar...

the neck has a gloss finish. i dont know why schecter does this.
i didnt mind it on my C1+, but on this guitar, i'm just dying to run a little steel wool over it.
i just havent as of yet. i've had it a year.

i'm not thinking about a pup upgrade. but yeah, you can buy mini humbuckers to upgrade no problem, if you really felt you needed to.

you can get dark tones out of the neck.

the maple feels bouncy, good. i wanted maple. could have ordered rosewood.
but i think the difference is mostly cosmetic.

i can take a few more pics of it if you want. i know how hard a decision this is.

they seem to hold their value "ok". maybe not as much as the C series. only because they arent as popular. but it's not bad, because it's not expensive.

schecter guys usually buy the C series. and tele guys usually buy fender.

i think i answered most of your questions...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Oh you could have ordered a rosewood neck when you got yours? I don't know if I have that option or not. Where did you get yours from by the way? Yeah I'm still not positive on the amp, but I'm trying to pretty much spend the same amount on the amp as I am on the guitar. I realize it is better to have a quality amp and a crappy guitar than it is to have a crappy amp with a really nice guitar. I was looking at the Fender SuperChamp XD also, which has tubes, I forget if it is a hybrid or a full tube, but it is just kinda small. I'd like to get something that can sound good quiet, but would also be possible to do small gigs with. That's why I was looking at the 50 watt Vox. Yeah it is the Vox Valvetronix VT50, so it is sort of a tube amp. I think it just has tubes in the preamp circuit or something? So it is sort of a cross between solid state and a tube amp. Do you think I would be better off with a full tube amp? I've heard mostly good things about the Vox's Valvetronix series. Plus they have some effects thrown in, which couldn't hurt since this is my first electric, maybe it'll help me see what kind of tone and sound I like without having to buy pedals first. Your amp sounds nice though. Expensive? How long have you been playing guitar? I'm sorry about all the questions haha, you probably won't be able to answer them all. But yeah, if it's not a lot of trouble, more pictures would be great. I think I am just being too picky about my first guitar. I've been looking for like 8 months now and reading like every review and article written about every guitar and amp haha. Thanks a lot for your help!
I would love to get a fastback. But I'm afraid 4 guitars with Buckers in them will only take me so far. I wonder if I could get one with some single coils in it? Or mod one up with some split coils.

Beautiful Guitar by the way.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
I would love to get a fastback. But I'm afraid 4 guitars with Buckers in them will only take me so far. I wonder if I could get one with some single coils in it? Or mod one up with some split coils.

Beautiful Guitar by the way.

The fastback comes stock with the coilsplitting feature. You can split both the neck and bridge pickups. So there you go, now you have to buy it! haha.
Quote by jj1565
let's see.

i'm sure you know that with a crappy practice amp, you wont even be able to tell when it's split, neck or bridge.

as in how loud you play, if you plan to gig. that sort of thing.
sometimes a solid state amp just makes more sense.

and all credibility is lost.

Pratice amps aren't as crappy as everyone on here makes them out to be. You can still hear tonal differances between guitars, pickups and coil tapping even if all you have is a 10 watt epiphone amp. Amps don't determine how versatile a guitar is. Guitars determine how versatile a guitar is...
Listen to jj, she knows her ****.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by wolfy808
Listen to jj, she knows her ****.

just cause someone "knows [their] ****" doesn't mean that every false blanket statement they make is right. This forum's favorite post is, "your amp sucks, get a new one before doing anything else."

The truth is, you will notice a differance in guitar, pickup, tone, pedal and EVERYTHING ELSE outside of the amp, no matter what the amp. Some pickup's best features won't be heard on crappy amps, but if you're running Duncan Designed pickups, those aren't the most nuanced, amazing pickups in the world. I can hear the differance between a Dimi Super Distortion, Duncan 59 and the stock pickups in my epi's and Ibanez with my old Squier Champ bass amp. If you've got an amp, you'll hear the differance.
Yeah I have to agree with Thomme here. I recently got a Schecter C1 Hellraiser over my Ibanez Rg 350 Dx and I can hear a considerable difference, especially clean, with my crappy amp. I don't regret anything.
Quote by Thomme
just cause someone "knows [their] ****" doesn't mean that every false blanket statement they make is right. This forum's favorite post is, "your amp sucks, get a new one before doing anything else."

The truth is, you will notice a differance in guitar, pickup, tone, pedal and EVERYTHING ELSE outside of the amp, no matter what the amp. Some pickup's best features won't be heard on crappy amps, but if you're running Duncan Designed pickups, those aren't the most nuanced, amazing pickups in the world. I can hear the differance between a Dimi Super Distortion, Duncan 59 and the stock pickups in my epi's and Ibanez with my old Squier Champ bass amp. If you've got an amp, you'll hear the differance.

Yes, all those components listed will give a difference in tone, but I know for a fact that a nice tube amp will sound loads better than a new guitar, new pickups, a new effects pedal, whatever. Hell, I can play Eric Clapton, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin and everything in between with my Vox AD30VT and my stock Epiphone SG.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by Thomme

The bold would be my WTF text. Anyway yes those things will make a difference BUT I can honestly hear almost no difference in sound from my peavey when I switched guitars. IMO your tone is 60% amp and about 40% guitar.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor

i 100% stand by this.
what i mean, and what the ts obviously understood...

he wants a versatile guitar. if you have a crappy practice amp. you are tossing out the benefit of this guitar.
you might as well get a guitar with ok pups. the split differences, tonal nuances are muddled and lost.

by the way ts. i dont think the vox is a crappy starter. nor do i think i even said that you NEED a tube amp.
this is just your first electric. most guys start out with a solid state.

vox hybrid amps are pretty much just solid states tho. the tube isnt really shaping the sound the way they want you to think. But, they do a nice moddler.

and all credibility is lost.

haha, fine by me. i've read your posts here. i'll do fine without you.

Quote by TheWaydown
Oh you could have ordered a rosewood neck when you got yours?
yeah i ordered mine right at the start of last year. took like 3 months to get in

I don't know if I have that option or not. Where did you get yours from by the way?
i've got a schecter dealer nearby
Yeah I'm still not positive on the amp, but I'm trying to pretty much spend the same amount on the amp as I am on the guitar.
usually a good plan

I realize it is better to have a quality amp and a crappy guitar than it is to have a crappy amp with a really nice guitar. I was looking at the Fender SuperChamp XD also, which has tubes, I forget if it is a hybrid or a full tube, but it is just kinda small. I'd like to get something that can sound good quiet, but would also be possible to do small gigs with.
it's small but it'll be loud is it's all tube. i used to use a 15W blues jr. but it wasnt versatile enough. plus as the drummer got louder, i found i had to push it all the time.
this might be a good amp for you. maybe find some guys that own one? also, dont forget about used amps. classic 30 amps pop up on my craigslist all the time for $350.
it's not the most perfect amp. but it's pretty good for the money.
i do think you'll like the vox tho. i almost bought one way back when, but it was so big.

That's why I was looking at the 50 watt Vox. Yeah it is the Vox Valvetronix VT50, so it is sort of a tube amp. I think it just has tubes in the preamp circuit or something? So it is sort of a cross between solid state and a tube amp. Do you think I would be better off with a full tube amp? I've heard mostly good things about the Vox's Valvetronix series. Plus they have some effects thrown in, which couldn't hurt since this is my first electric, maybe it'll help me see what kind of tone and sound I like without having to buy pedals first.
u wont buy pedals for it really. maybe just something for high gain. it's got all the rest

Your amp sounds nice though. Expensive? How long have you been playing guitar?
it's about $800-900. i just saw the head on a craigs list for $450. but that was up near canada.
i've been playing like 15 years now.

I'm sorry about all the questions haha, you probably won't be able to answer them all. But yeah, if it's not a lot of trouble, more pictures would be great. I think I am just being too picky about my first guitar. I've been looking for like 8 months now and reading like every review and article written about every guitar and amp haha. Thanks a lot for your help!

i'll add pictures after morning coffee.

and if thomme wants, i'll even add pics of my old g50. which is just an old MGseries.
and i can tell him the story of how i was looking for better tone.

i had been playing acoustic guitar for about 5 years, had switched to electric guitars, was a total n00b and got talked into a g50.

i was so frustrated with the bland tone after about 6 months i swapped out my pups.
put two seymour duncans in and noted some improvement! i was really happy with it.

for like a few months. then i started banging my head against to wall. i couldnt get any of the tones i was looking for. the pups sounded better, but nothing like described by the company.

i started to realize it was the amp.

i wasted a long time with the wrong amps. and for no reason. there were better amps only slightly more expensive.

anyway, i'll put pics up in a while.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

there arent scuffs. it's just the lighting.

i wanted to show that the neck has a gloss, front and back. i think you can see here.

sorry no belly cut. it's not a thick block of wood like the 72' fender. but i would have liked a contour, like some other schecter tele models.
but for me, comfort is a huge deal.
this tele is heavier than than my strats, not as heavy as my lp.
you can see i've added a pad to this strap.

sorry if pics are big. i was hoping photo bucket would resize.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by fob12
Yeah I have to agree with Thomme here. I recently got a Schecter C1 Hellraiser over my Ibanez Rg 350 Dx and I can hear a considerable difference, especially clean, with my crappy amp. I don't regret anything.

i just saw this. maybe you can ask him for help in his setup thread next time.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Thanks jj, I appreciate all your helpful comments and your posting of more pictures! It's often hard to tell what a guitar really looks like from the company's or website's pictures.

No, I didn't think you implied that I NEEDED to get a tube amp. I'm sorry if I made it sound like that. Yeah, I was going to ask if the Vox hybrid tube/solid state was more of a marketing gimick than anything else. I had read that somewhere else as well. I don't know, I'll have to consider it. What would you reccomend for a relatively low-priced all tube amp, say Under 500$? Do tube amps have to be turned up loud to get a good sound? The neck gloss on that guitar looks nice, but also kinda worries me with the potential stickiness you were talking about. How much does it hinder your being able to smoothly move around the neck?

Thanks for everyone's input. What I sort of took away from the 'debate' was that cheaper practice amps aren't bad and it is possible to hear tone differences from new pickups and splitting coils, but these differences in tone are probably much more noticeable with a higher quality amp. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure there are lower quality amps where these tone differences are highly noticeable and also low quality amps where you can change everything on the guitar that you want but the tone coming out of the amp sounds the same.
JJ - I apologize for the hostility that I displayed. I'm just sick of hearing about how "you won't hear a difference" if you don't have a nice amp. It's a blanket fallacy that this forum seems to enjoy. I spent a good amount of time running a Spider II and through a practice bass amp, and I could always hear the differences in pickups and guitars. In my experience, what you gain with nicer amps are the nuances of the guitar, not the general differences in pickups. People on this forum are too quick to judge people's amps as inadequate, and I'm too quick to judge people for band wagoning. I'm sorry I misinterpreted your intentions.

Also, TS, the Vox hybrid amps are AMAZING sounding for being SS amps. Even the older Cambridge models were surprisingly good sounding. I actually found a shop that's a Schecter dealer that I'm hitting up this afternoon to check out the PT series, myself. I'm really interested in the PT basses, actually. If they've got the fastback, I'll give you my impressions on the guitar itself.

Quote by TheWaydown

Thanks for everyone's input. What I sort of took away from the 'debate' was that cheaper practice amps aren't bad and it is possible to hear tone differences from new pickups and splitting coils, but these differences in tone are probably much more noticeable with a higher quality amp. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure there are lower quality amps where these tone differences are highly noticeable and also low quality amps where you can change everything on the guitar that you want but the tone coming out of the amp sounds the same.

bingo. The nuances of your own playing is much more prominent on higher quality amps, as well.

Quote by jj1565
i just saw this. maybe you can ask him for help in his setup thread next time.

wait... what?
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by TheWaydown
Thanks jj, I appreciate all your helpful comments and your posting of more pictures! It's often hard to tell what a guitar really looks like from the company's or website's pictures.
no prob

No, I didn't think you implied that I NEEDED to get a tube amp. I'm sorry if I made it sound like that. Yeah, I was going to ask if the Vox hybrid tube/solid state was more of a marketing gimick than anything else. I had read that somewhere else as well. I don't know, I'll have to consider it. What would you reccomend for a relatively low-priced all tube amp, say Under 500$? Do tube amps have to be turned up loud to get a good sound? The neck gloss on that guitar looks nice, but also kinda worries me with the potential stickiness you were talking about. How much does it hinder your being able to smoothly move around the neck?
i knew you didnt think you needed a tube amp. i was just trying to be clear, because like said, some guys are very anti- solid state, for no reason.
by the end of practice i'm wiping the neck down, and i dont sweat.
id say, i'll probably rub off the finish soon, then it'll be a non issue.

pretty much. depends a lot on the specific amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Thomme
JJ - I apologize for the hostility that I displayed. I'm just sick of hearing about how "you won't hear a difference" if you don't have a nice amp. It's a blanket fallacy that this forum seems to enjoy. I spent a good amount of time running a Spider II and through a practice bass amp, and I could always hear the differences in pickups and guitars. In my experience, what you gain with nicer amps are the nuances of the guitar, not the general differences in pickups. People on this forum are too quick to judge people's amps as inadequate, and I'm too quick to judge people for band wagoning. I'm sorry I misinterpreted your intentions.
no harm, no foul. i know where you're coming from, and if you had said it a different way i would have agreed with you

wait... what?
he knows. i've been helping him in the setup thread for a bit now. just busting his chops.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Okay, If you take the finish off will you let me know how it turns out? The back of the neck on my acoustic has a gloss finish and I don't have any real problems with it, but the fretboard is unfinished rosewood. I wish they offered the Fastback with a rosewood fretboard. They must have offered this in the past because I've seen pictures of them with rosewood. And actually, the website proguitarshop.com, where I have been looking to make my purchase from, lists this guitar as having a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, obviously a mistake, but probably the way the PT's came in the past. Damn.
Ok, so, they did not have the PT's at the shop I went to... just the "metally" guitars, they're all solid players, I've yet to see a bad schecter, but I really wanted to try out that DD Filtertron copy.... :-(
Quote by Thomme
Ok, so, they did not have the PT's at the shop I went to... just the "metally" guitars, they're all solid players, I've yet to see a bad schecter, but I really wanted to try out that DD Filtertron copy.... :-(

Damn. I can't find a PT around here. I'm weary of buying something online that I haven't played.
i'm thinking, the only way you'll get a pt fastback wt rosewood, is by combing craigslist or by ordering one from the company sigh unseen. (if that's even an option anymore.)

i've ordered 2 schecters that way. so far, pretty happy with how it worked out, but you need to feel comfortable with your decision.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62