There is something that has been bugging me for a long time.

Why do most of the famous bands use two stacks at gigs?

They have two stacks both with heads on them.

Won't one just be enough? And what can two do that one can't?
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Some people do it for better sound projection (Steve Morse uses three stacks for example, just because of that). Some others do it because they like to use two different amps or two amps with different settings. Most people just do it because it looks cool though.

Nothing wrong with the last option imo.

EDIT: It's also louder of course, but unless you play a stadium that's not a problem anyway.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 17, 2009,
backups? ha if i could afford it id have like 6 stacks and then throw them at eachother and blow them up
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
8>4>2>1 speaker(s) for sound projection and bass response. Anything past 8 becomes superfluous tonally.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
8>4>2>1 speaker(s) for sound projection and bass response. Anything past 8 becomes superfluous tonally.

This, pretty much.
backups or different settings is the only thing i can reason out. There is no need for amp projection seeing as everything has a mic on it going into a mixing board for the central sound system.
Quote by TheQuailman
Some people do it for better sound projection (Steve Morse uses three stacks for example, just because of that). Some others do it because they like to use two different amps or two amps with different settings. Most people just do it because it looks cool though.

Nothing wrong with the last option imo.

EDIT: It's also louder of course, but unless you play a stadium that's not a problem anyway.

That answers it well.

I will stick with one half stack for almost every gig I will do in my life. I doubt I would be able to play in a stadium or become a famous musician, so I will stick with a half stack.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Well, it was done originally because a marshall 4x12 with 4 pre rolla greenbacks (with a total handling of 100 watts) would easily get blown up by a full cranked superlead, so 2 stacks were necessary. Advances in PAs and speakers have pretty much rendered the full stack obsolete.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Because they can!!!!
My Gear
B.C. Rich Virgin N.J.
B.C. Rich Warlock N.J.
B.C. Rich Beast I.T.
Epiphone Goth Explorer
Stagg HK-300 (my first electric guitar)
Stagg Semi Acoustic
2 Spanish Guitars
Boss MT-2
Boss ME-50