Hey there people. As you can tell by the thread title I love SGs. Problem is my Epiphone Gothic isn't quite what I'm looking for.

I've looked at the SG prophecy GX, but for £450 I could get a Gibson. So I'm wondering if it's worth it or not.

Feel free to post any SG copies that are decent as I'm going into a shop to try anyway and I am always looking to broaden my horizons.
umm the ESP SG lookalikes are pretty cool. I love my gibson. it plays so much better than my friends epiphone. it is worth the price jump.
What's the problem with the Gothic? If it's the pups/tuners/general hardware, those can be replaced. Epiphone Gothic instruments often come with pretty shoddy parts, but as long as the neck is okay for you, upgrading it could solve a couple of problems.

If you are going to buy a Gibson, I figure the one you'd get would be the faded SG right? Take your time when choosing a Gibson, chances are you'll have to try a few until you find one you like, they vary a little in sound, feel and also quality. The fingerboards on cheaper Gibsons are often shoddy from my experience.

But generally yes, the tonal differences between a Gibson and an Epi SG are worth upgrading.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's also Japanese brands like Tokai, Burns or Edwards that make Gibson copies, they are worth checking out. They often do a better job on the lower end models than Gibson. Just make sure that you buy a "made in Japan" guitar and not a "made in Korea" or "made in Indonesia" one.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 17, 2009,
I've got a Gibson SG standard and it is a beast for sure. I should warn you though that the nuts on them are usually crappy. I had to get mine replaced because it really messed with the G string. I thought I was just unlucky but I've been told that most gibsons have the same problem. Also, it has to be tuned quite frequently...if anyone knows any machine heads that could fix that, that would be wicked to know.

So yeah, it's definitely a wicked guitar but it has its quirks which is unfortunate considering its price.
The Tokai's are pretty nice but if this is up to me I would rather go for a Gibson.

If you want a red SG, the Gibson SG Special would be pretty good, but if you want ebony it would be best to do with the SG Standard.

Dammit Epiphone, why can't you make a high end Epiphone SG that looks and sounds like a Gibson?
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by TheQuailman
What's the problem with the Gothic? If it's the pups/tuners/general hardware, those can be replaced. Epiphone Gothic instruments often come with pretty shoddy parts, but as long as the neck is okay for you, upgrading it could solve a couple of problems.

If you are going to buy a Gibson, I figure the one you'd get would be the faded SG right? Take your time when choosing a Gibson, chances are you'll have to try a few until you find one you like, they vary a little in sound, feel and also quality. The fingerboards on cheaper Gibsons are often shoddy from my experience.

But generally yes, the tonal differences between a Gibson and an Epi SG are worth upgrading.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's also Japanese brands like Tokai, Burns or Edwards that make Gibson copies, they are worth checking out. They often do a better job on the lower end models than Gibson. Just make sure that you buy a "made in Japan" guitar and not a "made in Korea" or "made in Indonesia" one.

Not really anything wrong with it, I think I feel as though it's time to get a better made guitar more than anything. I didn't expect it to last me my entire guitar playing life and for £170 I don't think I could of got better. I'm not getting new guitar straight away, just wanting some ideas of prices to save up for.

I looked at the Japanese brands you mentioned and it seems Edwards get praise off everyone so I'll have to investigate a bit more.
A faded SG costs under 600 pounds, a Standard should be available for under 900. Keep in mind that those prices change all the time, it depends a lot on whether the dollar is weak or strong at the moment in comparison to the pound. Imo it's worth saving up for a Standard, the faded SGs I've tried so weren't too impressive. The sound was good enough, but the finish and fretwork varied. That is less common with the Standard, from my experience at least. You'd have to try the specific guitar you'd want to buy anyway though, so you might even find a nice faded SG in the end.

I don't know much about the prices of Japanese brands like Edwards, expecially in the UK, but this guy here knows a lot about them and should be able to help you. Just pm him or leave a comment on his profile:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/member.php?u=173297
Gibson SG Standard is expensive indeed, an option is the SG Special (not the faded) in red wine, beautiful.

Otherwise, there are Tokai SGs but I am not sure about the price of a japanese. But at least the korean-made I saw simply looked like the Gibson std, so good construction and finish. Much much much better than Epi G-400.
I think in the instance of SGs the price jump to a Gibson is justified. The LP jump is just outrageous and the reason I settled on an Epiphone. If I were to buy an SG I would certainly consider a Gibson, but my advice is to go used, you can get pretty much any guitar you want at half or 25% off when you go used and if you're careful about it you can usually snag a deal with someone who is very good to their guitars. In my opinion, the money you save on buying a used guitar is very much worth it. To buy a guitar new is just way too expensive. I paid $750 CDN for Epi LP and I see one in the same condition as mine on eBay every week selling for $350-400. Go used!

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
get a sg standard, the neck binding alone was enough convincing for me. the faded plays alright but the neck feels much better on the std, however i do hate the finish on it, i really prefer the coating they put on epiphones over gibson.
Epiphone Elitist?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups