ok so my amp marshalll jvm410 has an emulated xlr output...does this mean i can plug it directly into my macbook pro and record using cubase? or do i need something else to run the amp head through and then into the computer?

thank you lads
macbooks have good enough D/A converters that you should be able to do it without an interface. So yes, you can go straight from the amps line out to the macbook.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
macbooks have good enough D/A converters that you should be able to do it without an interface. So yes, you can go straight from the amps line out to the macbook.

if i was to get an interface, what would you recommend?
Quote by hayz_182
if i was to get an interface, what would you recommend?

I would recommend the presonus Firebox (assuming you have one of the older Macbooks with firewire ports)

Last.fm
Yeah macbook pro's especially have really surprisingly good A/D convertors (and D/A as previously mentioned).
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Yeah macbook pro's especially have really surprisingly good A/D convertors (and D/A as previously mentioned).

blonde moment... d/a and a/d stand for?

i have a macbook
Quote by willieturnip

i have a macbook pro, so
Quote by willieturnip

i have a
Quote by willieturnip

i have a macbook pro

so if i plug the line out directly to the macbook book i will be able to record the exact sound from my amp without having to mic it up ? very exciting prospect
Why the hell did you keep posting that?

Anyway, Analogue/Digital and vice versa. That's what it stands for.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by hayz_182

i have a macbook pro

so if i plug the line out directly to the macbook book i will be able to record the exact sound from my amp without having to mic it up ? very exciting prospect

I won't sound exactly the same, because the speaker has a pretty large effect on the tone, I'm not sure if that amp has a speaker simulator wired into it's line out (some amps do, some don't) but even if it does it wont sound exactly the same, but it can get pretty close.

Last.fm
^ correct, the line out will bypass the poweramp and speaker, which contribute hugely to the tone. you'll need some sort of cab-sim to make it sound good.