Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I'm looking at an RG750 from 1989 used for $525 with a gig bag. I just got pics and it's in great condition for a 20 year old guitar! I know this has the old 1 piece wizard neck and should be wary of warping. It has the original Edge trem system.
This was the Ibanez prestige model back in the day.

What are you guys' input on this?
Is it good for the price?

What should I try to bargain it down to?

thanks for the input.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Get it. NAO.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Try to get the price down a bit,from what I've seen they usually go for 400-500.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Here's the pics guys.
He replaced the middle pickup with one from an RG770DX.
It also comes with a gigbag, but no case.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Last edited by Soul Eater at Feb 17, 2009,
The pics work fine for me. They're just huge and I don't want to upload them since they were already up in this size.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
The pics work fine for me. They're just huge and I don't want to upload them since they were already up in this size.

well we cant see them...
Can you see them now?
I uploaded them on to tinypic.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Just saw the pics,looks like it's mint.I'd try to talk him down but if that doesn't work the full asking price is still a good deal.If you don't get it then I'll be forced to pummel you about the face and ears with a brick.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Soul Eater
Can you see them now?
I uploaded them on to tinypic.

yes, now i will put this as simply as possible. GET IT NOW!!!
Quote by Pr0gNut
Just saw the pics,looks like it's mint.I'd try to talk him down but if that doesn't work the full asking price is still a good deal.If you don't get it then I'll be forced to pummel you about the face and ears with a brick.

With the exceptions of the two cracks on the sides of the neck.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I have only tried the Ibanez RG1550M which has a Wizard Prestige neck.
Is this neck comparable?
But it sounds like a good deal if violence is involved.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
You mean 570? I own a first year ('87) rg570 MIJ and it's a sick machine, only mod is the bridge pick-up (up-graded to a seymour-duncan scream'n demon). Beats the crap out of the USA custom I had built about the same year it was made. Mine has some issues, been dropped a few times, knife edges on the tremolo + a few frets worn, still outperforms my old custom. Kinda pricey, these went for $5-600 new back then, but still get good money on e-bay. Warping shouldn't be much of an issue, they have a good truss-rod system, but like all guitars they might swing seasonally, temp+humidty changes wood (shape memory). Worth every penny if it's mint, try to talk him down, but these things are gonna go up in value like strats in 20-30 years, some of the best jap guitars ever made. Mine has 2 cracks on the joint identical to that one, doesn' effect anything but the cosmetics, the wood on the joint is retardedly thin, any pressure (drop, jimmy page style neck bend, etc.) will crack the finish on these.
Last edited by oldkoolairbrush at Feb 17, 2009,
No dude I mean 750.
X50 = HSH pickguard
X70 = HSH no pickguard

So I'm thinking it was a better guitar than the one you were talking about.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
With the exceptions of the two cracks on the sides of the neck.

Those are very common with older bolt on neck guitars,especially Ibanez models.The face and back are mint though.Maybe I should have said "near mint" haha.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Those are very common with older bolt on neck guitars,especially Ibanez models.The face and back are mint though.Maybe I should have said "near mint" haha.

Oh okay. I got cracks like that in the exact same places as my Ibanez but I assumed it was only natural considering it fell down a flight of stairs.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Oh okay. I got cracks like that in the exact same places as my Ibanez but I assumed it was only natural considering it fell down a flight of stairs.

Well,there certainly might be a cause and effect relationship there haha.I have an older early 90's Ibanez model that has hairline cracks near the neck pocket,it just seems to eventually happen to them,I don't know why though.From what I've seen it doesn't have any negative effects on the guitar so they're just kind of annoying to look at.

Quote by Soul Eater
No dude I mean 750.
X50 = HSH pickguard
X70 = HSH no pickguard

So I'm thinking it was a better guitar than the one you were talking about.

LOL, sry, mines actually a 560, HSS-no pickgaurd, the early MIJ's are an upgrade of the old roadstar/roadstar2 series, one of the first full-blown super hot-rod strat shapes, along w/the old charvelle/jacksons.
Last edited by oldkoolairbrush at Feb 17, 2009,
Sexhay. Buy it nao. It would be best if you could test drive it first though.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
The guy lives over an hour away from me.
I'm not going to be able to go play it, then go back at a later time.
Plus it could be snatched up at any moment!
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
He's going to throw in a hardshell case and make it $550.
Is that any better?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
I'd try to get it for 500 w/ the case assuming it's in good condition and the OHSC.Then again,you could also not be a money grubbing asshat like me and just pay the extra 50 bucks to get a very nice upgrade guitar.Kinda shot myself in the foot on this one haha.

The case is from an old RG565 but it's the same shape, so IDC.
I'm trying to use it's age to bargain down now.

It's hard to knock the price down on this guitar.
It seems there's nothing wrong with it.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
The case is from an old RG565 but it's the same shape, so IDC.
I'm trying to use it's age to bargain down now.

It's hard to knock the price down on this guitar.
It seems there's nothing wrong with it.

Yeah,it's hard to debate semantics to lower the price when it's near mint.You could bring up the cracks near the neck pocket and things like fret wear and so on,if it even has any major wear on it.

The problem is, I can't really walk away from this so easily.
He lives an hour away from me, and there's no way I'm getting a ride up there twice.

The thing about the neck cracks is he knows that all Ibanez's with bolt on's get them, so that's pretty much out as far as bargaining goes.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
The problem is, I can't really walk away from this so easily.
He lives an hour away from me, and there's no way I'm getting a ride up there twice.

The thing about the neck cracks is he knows that all Ibanez's with bolt on's get them, so that's pretty much out as far as bargaining goes.

I'd just go for it then,I doubt you'll find a cleaner '89 RG at some other place any time in the near future.

This guitar is comparable to the RG Prestiges of today, right?
If so then I'm excited!
A prestige for less than half the price (with arguably a better tremolo)!!
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
MIJ quality (Ibanez had arguably better quality "back in the day")
Original edge bridge
IBZ pups,or are those real Dimarzios?

But yeah,those were the prestige models before the prestige models came into existence basically.

They are IBZ F2 and F4 from a Violet 770DX.

How long do you think that edge bridge will last me?
It's hung in there for 20, but that's a hell of a long time.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
They are IBZ F2 and F4 from a Violet 770DX.

How long do you think that edge bridge will last me?
It's hung in there for 20, but that's a hell of a long time.

Well if it's lasted 20 years and is in that condition I doubt anything bad will happen to it anytime soon.They're very high quality trems from what I've seen and played,unlike the edge III which is garbage within a year usually.IBZ pups eh? The older models are actually pretty nice,I'd still swap them out for some DiMarzios at a later time,but that's just personal preference.

Yeah, I was originally going to save up for a brand new RG prestige, but now I'll have plenty of gear cash for pickups. I'll just be so glad to have a usable neck pickup, that I probably won't upgrade for a while, but I do love the tone of the 'virtuoso' and they all use DiMarzios.

I've read a bit about the Tone Zone, Air Norton, Evo, PAF, and Fred.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
Yeah, I was originally going to save up for a brand new RG prestige, but now I'll have plenty of gear cash for pickups. I'll just be so glad to have a usable neck pickup, that I probably won't upgrade for a while, but I do love the tone of the 'virtuoso' and they all use DiMarzios.

I've read a bit about the Tone Zone, Air Norton, Evo, PAF, and Fred.

Yeah,plus this guitar is most likely higher quality than the stuff Ibanez is making today in the entry level prestige line.I love DiMarzio pups,they have a very unique and articulate tone,great for shredding and technical playing.I personally like the D-sonic or Steve's Special in my bridge (Petrucci) with some kind of PAF (Satch and Gilby) in the neck.The Steve Morse signature neck pup they make is also very nice,it gives dark and warm cleans and can handle a good deal of overdrive without getting muddy.

Don't forget about Buckethead too!
I know the DiMarzio site has a pickup identifier, but how can I find which ones I like best?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
Don't forget about Buckethead too!
I know the DiMarzio site has a pickup identifier, but how can I find which ones I like best?

I haven't listened to much buckethead,which is odd,because he's an amazing and unique talent in the guitar world.Thankfully DiMarzio has a ton of info about their pups on their site with sound clips and recommendations,as well as specs like the pups EQ and output ratings,so you can start from there.PAF pups are nice for satch and gilbert tones,and Evo pups and the D-sonic model are good for heavier music.Then they have the D-activators and the X2N which are the 2 highest output pups they have now and are made to play teh br00t4lz.They honestly make so many different models that it's pretty hard to choose which ones you want,since the majority of them are very nice pickups.

I tried the PU selector out, but I can't really get accurate answers because I don't have my tone yet and I can't figure out if I play "metal" or "heavy metal" .
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Last edited by Soul Eater at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by Soul Eater
I tried the PU selector out, but I can't really get accurate answers because I don't have my tone yet and I can't figure out if I play "metal" or "heavy metal" .

I had a similar problem earlier in my guitar days.I kept thinking of myself as a death metal guitarist for some reason,and always wondered why my tone was always shreddy and prog-metal influenced.Then after listening to Petrucci for a while I realized that I wasn't a br00talz guitarist hahah.In this case,where you don't know your tone or use multiple sounds,a versatile set of pups would be the best.Something powerful and articulate in the bridge with a neck pup that can handle a lot of gain while still remaining clear and delivering good cleans would be optimal.You also have that middle pup,which can come in handy.

My personal recommendation would be:

D-sonic or Super Distortion in the bridge
PAF pro or a similar voiced pup in the neck
A YJM or some other lower output single coil in the middle

Luckily the Ibanez is Basswood,which gives you a pretty even natural tonal range to work with as your base.

It's not that I don't know what I'm looking for, but I don't know the difference between metal and heavy metal.
Although there must be some difference since they require different pickups.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Page 1 of 2