okay, so i have a VOX AD30VT and it sounds amazing and it has a 3 band EQ. i usually have something like this
Low:10
Mid:5
High:9
my friend and i were playing with this crappy but large amp in the band room at school. somehow it sounded amazing although there was much more distortion/effects to be desired. the difference was it had a 4 band EQ. i kept the same settings as normal, only i put the high mid on 1 and the low mid on like 9. it gave it this amazing heavy sound, like it had a subwoofer or something
how did this affect the sound and will buying an eq pedal give my vox a sound like that?
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
it was probably the heavy distortion. not the eq

vox valvetronix dont have thick distortion.
you could possibly get the same "sound" but it wont "feel" the same since it was a larger amp/speaker. you are scooping the mid on the band amp and if you scoop the mid on a EQ and plug it into your amp you could get the same sound
okay. it definetely wasnt the distortion cuz the band amp had like half the gain of my Vox.
but okay thanks ill be looking at some EQ pedals now. is like a Danelectro fish n chips good. i know its cheap but i dont have a lot of money and i dont need pro sound just something that works for some more beef in my tone
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
You usually only see a low mid control on bass amps, that might explain the sub type feeling you where getting from it, and the lack of gain.

Also: scooped mids make baby Lucifer cry.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Feb 17, 2009,
To Kid_Thorazine, he wasn't scooping his mids. Atleast not at first, I don't remember the settings with the second amp.

Now.

The reason it's thicker and such, is because you have a lot more bass, but are still having lower mids than highs and lows [colloqiually, "scooping" the mids].
The former is obviously the thick bit, and the latter is what gives you that hot metal tone.

Basically, you just had more bass, more chug, and with a bigger amp, one that can handle it better, naturally.

The more bands you have in your EQ, the better, the more you can customise it. Obviously.

I have no idea about pedals though. Just explaining. It wasn't the amp MUCH, it was atleast 75% the EQ.
Gore AND Core; unite!