Alright, so my boss blues driver isnt cuttin it and I want a different distortion/OD pedal. The sound Im looking for is kinda Frank Zappa, Santana (Im guessing his is mostly natural just form sheer volume but Ill likely be corrected) and Alex Lifeson-ish sound. Now, I have a strat and I realize humbuckers and each players control play a huge part in this tone but any pedal recomendations or any explanation why I might like this sound so much (I almost always play on clean and I feel really dumb not knowing this but whats gain?). Frank Zappas the closest to the sound Im looking for but maybe its just the SG cutting through that I like lol, thats ny next guitar I think.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Gain is how much overdrive pretty much...

Have you considered sending your Blues Driver to Keeley to be modded? They do some awesome mods on those pedals.

If you don't want to do that, check out the Tubescreamer, it's my personal favorite OD, and I think it does an amazing job of boosting clean Fender amps. Also check out (if you're willing to spend a lot) Butler Tube Drivers. Eric Johnson has one and they are AMAZING pedals, but very expensive.
yeah .. buying an sg style guitar over a pedal for your strat is best in the long run if thats the kind of tone you want. it comes from the humbuckers
Maybe you could do a pickup change on your strat. You could get a Dimarzio Tone Zone S for the single coil replacement in the bridge position. This would allow you to get a higher output, which would give you more of that santana base tone. Santana has a powerful, well rounded tone, not the spanky strat sound that you have.

This would make an improvement, and the strat is probably easier to play than an SG, and is certainly more reliable. One drop of an SG and its game over, whereas a strat can take abit more of a beating.
Thanks guys! This is awsome feedback. As I figured, a SG (a humbucking guitar at the least is the best idea, too bad its the most expensive and wont happen for a few years hahha). I didnt really think about modding my blues driver and for the tone Im looking for (think some Zappa selections circa '74), I am the slimes a pretty good example) and the blues driver just doesnt seem to fit the bill. I was thinking a tubescreamer but when I think tubescreamer I think Rory Gallagher (one of my very favorites but not the tone Im looking for). Belive it or not but when I was cruising around for a pick-up swap the DiMarzio Tone Zone S was one of my choices lol. I usually stick to neck and middle variations not so much the bridge so would it be a good idea to get 3 of these pups and load em all in? Also, would a high-output, hum-cancelling single coil pickup for my strat get me close to what Im after? I do like to play clean alot so the pickup would have to handle both well.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Tone Zone s isnt much of a neck pickup, but with correct EQ you can get a nice screaming, full tone from the bridge pickup. But if you want to replace them all, i would say get the Dimarzio AirNorton S for neck or middle, and a ToneZone S for the bridge.
you can get a cheap epiphone guitar thatll get you close to the tone your looking for.

i have a epiphone les paul model that i got for 200 bucks, and it sounds great

a single coil pickup on a strat wont get you close to that tone,you can mod your strat with humbuckers, but id keep the strat intact, you might want to mess around with the single coil sound.. get a cheap epiphone
Im gunna wait until I can afford somthing quality. Is is possible to get some single coils that could get me as close as possible to the tone I described as well as a fat and creamy clean tone or do I need multiple guitars?lol. Just so I dont have to open a new thread, what kind of amp will give me the nice humbucking tone Im describing? and what kind of distortion is a good bet (I dont want anything too brutal but if you have over-nite sensation, apostrophe or roxy & elsewhere all by zappa then you know the kind of tone Im looking for). Also, I love the way the neck on my strat feels (finish wise), its not sticky at all. If and when I get a SG is it possible to shave/sand the neck to feel like my strats neck finish? I love the sound of gibsons but I dispise the feel of the neck.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Single coils are naturally lower output, so im afraid not. Those pickups i recommended are humbuckers which fit into the place of a single coil.

For the kind of music you play, it would be a waste to buy an SG.
I am biased against gibson guitars, because of their outrageous prices for only a name.
Santana uses Paul Reed Smith guitars, his signature model. He also is involved in the evolution of the Mesa Boogie amp company from a backyard modding hobby to a full blown amp company.

Santana = PRS guitar ($5000 AUD) + Mesa amp ( $3000 + )

I would recommend a Schecter or Ibanez guitar with humbuckers for the tone you are looking for, if you're not keen on shelling out the big bucks.
Something like the RG350DX or the S470DXQM from ibanez. This way, you can keep the strat for what it was designed more to do, while you can use this guitar as a higher gain, more experimental workhorse.

Amp wise, Peavey valveking for higher gain, your BD-2 will drive it VERY nicely, and you will be able to get that tone!
Thanks! Honestly Im interested in PRS guitars but I assumed theyd be even more cake then Gibsons so I didnt look into it (I will now though ). How do you guys like the MXR distortion +? I wont be buying anything anytime soon and when Im done college Im gunna treat myself to a nice guitar so Im not against anything less than $2000. I figure being a single guy and living in a small space, what else would I spend money on?
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
i recently bought a fulltone ocd and that in conjuction with my blues driver sounds awesome. but the noisyness and tone suckingness of the bd-2 makes me prefer my ibanez ts-9.

i recommend all 3 pedals though

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
Thanks guys! This is awsome feedback. As I figured, a SG (a humbucking guitar at the least is the best idea, too bad its the most expensive and wont happen for a few years hahha). I didnt really think about modding my blues driver and for the tone Im looking for (think some Zappa selections circa '74), I am the slimes a pretty good example) and the blues driver just doesnt seem to fit the bill. I was thinking a tubescreamer but when I think tubescreamer I think Rory Gallagher (one of my very favorites but not the tone Im looking for). Belive it or not but when I was cruising around for a pick-up swap the DiMarzio Tone Zone S was one of my choices lol. I usually stick to neck and middle variations not so much the bridge so would it be a good idea to get 3 of these pups and load em all in? Also, would a high-output, hum-cancelling single coil pickup for my strat get me close to what Im after? I do like to play clean alot so the pickup would have to handle both well.

you can pick up a used Epi SG for cheap these days, sadly, since folks have to sell their gear to pay the mortgage.

and Gallagher used a Rangemaster Treble Booster with a Vox AC30. A TS boosts the Mids, a TB boosts the highs.

for that Santana-esque tone, you'll need a humbucker equiped guitar, for sure. you need the mids/output that they give for that tone, IMO. you're also going to need a tube amp, i would suggest one, but someone got pissed off last time i suggested it a Modded Epi VJ would fit the bill, or a gretsch G5222.

the final part of the equasion is a good OD pedal. a digitech Bad Monkey is a great alternative to a tubescreamer (one of the only pedals Santana has ever used).
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Thanks, I do have a tube amp that I love but for the zappa-esque tone I figured Id need a higher gain amp. Rory was into Tube screamers later in his career I heard, I knew about the treble booster and the ac30. for some stange reason i just equate that pedal with him lol.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
i usually associate the tubescreamer with SRV and Santana, funny enough. but i still think you need a good OD, not a higher gain amp. i beleive Santana used fender amps before he hooked up with Mesa, but any medium gain amp with a good OD can get you a good santana tone, as long as the gain is not gritty. keep it warmer, so a tube OD would be good in this situation. you can pick up a rackmount Chandler Tubedriver for around 175$, but a Tonebone or an EHX English Muff'n would do nicely.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Feb 18, 2009,
Good stuff, I really need to sit down and do some heavy noodling with my blues driver. I almaost always play clean with my set up now and when I add the blues driver to my chain its real muddy sounding and not very inpiring.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
do you have the tone rolled back on it? towards the level knob?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
No, Im cluesless about that stuff so I tones usually rolled up along with the gain. Its gunna take some noodleing but i skipped school today so I could crank my amp . lol
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
well, if it's anything like the the other pedals in Boss' line, turning it clockwise will give you more treble, turning it counterclockwise will reduce the highs.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
I fiddled around with it a bit and its sounding alright lol. Itll have to do for a while anyways. I was browsing the PRS website and thats the brand of my next guitar, I just gotta pick a model lol. I was also thinking about a Mesa Lonestar for a little higher gain amp then what I have, cant wait for 4 years lol.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for: