hey all , im currently in the market for a new amp and after using a solid for a while (and hating it) im thinking its gotta be tube. I play a lot of metal and sleazy 80's rock, metallica, satriani, timmons, becker, and am aiming for a sick Perpetual burn style guitar tone. On occasion i do branch out into the psychedelic rock as well.

I have been looking for some time now and hear a lot of mixed opinions on amps and whether or not theyre meant for this style or not, ive looked at traynors, a carvin, and i do know a guy whos selling a mesa. Im lookinf to spend under a thousand ...or would i be better to wait until my budget is higher?

any and all help would be appreciated
Try out a Peavey Valveking, they are a versatile all tube amp at a low price, also there is plenty of opportunity for modification.

If you want more information on that amp, have a look for the "Valveking users thread".

Other than that, you could try out the Fender HotRod, and boost the gain with an overdrive pedal such as the TS808 Ibanez Tubescreamer.
^ ehhh not the best choice though.....(valveking)
but +1 for the Fender suggestion......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Look at maybe a used Marshall JCM800, sounds like you're looking for that kind of sound. If that's not enough gain for you, than just boost it with an OD.
Quote by GNRjungle87
Look at maybe a used Marshall JCM800, sounds like you're looking for that kind of sound. If that's not enough gain for you, than just boost it with an OD.

+1

The Fender will not be good imo
[QUOTE
The Fender will not be good imo

stratocasters should do well on a jcm
Quote by GNRjungle87

+1
Great amps
I also have to go with the JCM800 recommendation - good, solid amp that will get you the tone that you're looking for (seeing that most of the metal and sleazy rock from the 80s was played on JCM800s)
believe me if it was that easy i would have bought one already, i seem to remember jcm800 being kinda expensive but i did see a used one down at long and mcquade for 975, but then i'd be broke and waiting for a cab

i play a steve vai jem if that helps...

im just trying to find out all my options cause if the jcm800 is the general consensus then it looks like im saving for a while...

also anybody have an opinion on mesa boogie? cause i remember the guy who was selling it said he would let it go for a wicked deal but i cant remember the model right now and im having trouble getting ahold of him
Last edited by passion+warfare at Feb 18, 2009,
Considering you're in Canada, check out some Traynor stuff, the YCS and YCV series in particular. They don't have enough gain for modern metal but will definitely do your sleazy '80s rock and metal.

Also check out the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 - although they're modeling amps, they have preamp and power amp tubes which actually contribute to the sound, so technically they're tube amps.

EDIT: Most Mesa/Boogies will do at least up to hard rock, but there are some exceptions to this (eg. Lonestar series) The Express will probably do hard rock, but will definitely need some sort of boost for metal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Feb 18, 2009,