As if this topic hasn't been tossed around enough....

This is what i want to do:

START SOME QUALITY RECORDINGSS!!!!! haha

ok i was basically thinking this...

GUITAR/BASS: i'll mic my guitar/bass amp which will then go through to an interface (firebox perhaps) then into my PC with DAW .

VOCALS: Run a condenser mic through interface then into PC. (Do i still need a preamp???)

DRUMS/SYNTH/KEYS: MIDI controller connected to interface then into PC. Use to control sampling program (NI KONTAKT???)

Then everything runs out the monitors.

PLEASE!! tell me if i've missed some essentials. also any thoughts on this set up!

THANKSS!!!
This setup will work just fine. Do you have a budget? Or need suggestions on mics, interfaces, monitors everything I guess?
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Im not sure on the budget right now
for the interface i was thinking PreSonus Firebox
mics Shure57 for mic-ing amps and not sure about condenser yet
Software = maybe NI KONTAKT for sampling and FL studio for sequencing
not sure on the MIDI controller yet....
and for monitors i was considering the KRK G2 series, either the RP6 r RP8

thanks
Last edited by Robbiesho at Feb 18, 2009,
All of those will work nicely. I think the firebox comes packaged with Cubase Le which you might want to look at before going with FL. As for a condensers the Rode NT1 A is a great choice. For midi controllers check out the Akai MPK49, M-Audio Axiom Series, an Novation makes some good controllers as well. The KRK's are a great choice.
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Thanks man! You're very helpful.
Now just to be clear...I don't need a mic preamp if i'm running it through an interface??
No the interface is an "All in one". Meaning it has both preamps and converters so you will not need anything else.
also, make sure that if you get a condensor which needs phantom power, as most do, that the interface you will get has a phantom power option
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Think about some smaller monitors (woofer size).

Unless your acoustically treating your room you want to stick to smaller woofers. Helps counter bass frequencies bouncing around all over the shop and causing absolute monitoring havoc!
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by Robbiesho
As if this topic hasn't been tossed around enough....

This is what i want to do:

START SOME QUALITY RECORDINGSS!!!!! haha

ok i was basically thinking this...

GUITAR/BASS: i'll mic my guitar/bass amp which will then go through to an interface (firebox perhaps) then into my PC with DAW .

VOCALS: Run a condenser mic through interface then into PC. (Do i still need a preamp???)

DRUMS/SYNTH/KEYS: MIDI controller connected to interface then into PC. Use to control sampling program (NI KONTAKT???)

Then everything runs out the monitors.

PLEASE!! tell me if i've missed some essentials. also any thoughts on this set up!

THANKSS!!!

Interface has preamps and DI boxes. So just get that Firebox. Most MIDI controllers should have USB outs, so don't worry about using MIDI cables yet.

And NI Kontakt's sweet. If you can get Omnisphere though...man, you're almost set for life.

As for speakers, get that acoustic treatment if you can (no not egg crates, foam). Getting smaller speakers because you're worried about bass frequencies won't help you anyway, as the room nodes are still there to mess with your perception of frequencies.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
ok i have a question...

If i am using a sampling program.....Omnisphere , NI KONTAKT, w/e it may be, and am controlling it with a MIDI keyboard...how to i get the stuff i'm playing to record into the DAW?
You can import the files into the DAW.
Quote by Robbiesho
so possible the KRK RP5G2's?
5" woofer

Yeah they would be perfect.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Could I plug a guitar into a regular old tape four track machine and then into teh PC?
Quote by Robbiesho
ok i have a question...

If i am using a sampling program.....Omnisphere , NI KONTAKT, w/e it may be, and am controlling it with a MIDI keyboard...how to i get the stuff i'm playing to record into the DAW?

If the DAW has MIDI capabilities, load the track, and add the sampling program as a plugin running off that MIDI track. Here's how Reaper does it. Here's a general guide on the process.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
dont forget about some of the smaller stuff that will slow you down if you dont have it like mic cables and good headphones with a 1/4" adapter and mic stands