Hi, lately my friend and I have been trying to change our genre and style because "hardcore" stuff got kinda boring and repetitive. So now, we want to try out poppunkrockish (all time low, hit the lights, paramore) kinda thing.

so i looked at several websites for the amp settings, and it said i should raise the mids on my eq pedal and on the amp.

and so when i play it, it sounds really muddy, and sounds very "heavy."

so i'm not sure if its my guitar (Schecter C-1+), that it can't do poprock tones very well ,or if its my amp (b-52 at 112) or pedals (bad monkey, mxr 10band).

so my question is, can my schecter do poprock tones? or would i have to resort to buying a strat or lp.

thanks
I would have thought it would be ok, maybe back off your gain and your bass and push the treble up a little as well as your mids, for example

Gain: 5-6
High: 5-6
Mids: 6-7
Low: 5

Might help clean it up a little and sound less over the top
Quote by captainoid
Yeah, sounds like you need some new gear. You basically have metal setup 101.

well, i don't have any extra cash laying around , i just spent $1700 on a martin acoustic yesterday

so like i guess i have to fiddle around with the settings.

so like, what do i do with my badmonkey overdrive and mxr eq. some people told me to get rid of the eq. and to scoop (smiley-face looking i think) the eq pedal.

so what should i do ug
Last edited by DannyRL at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by DannyRL
well, i don't have any extra cash laying around , i just spent $1700 on a martin acoustic yesterday

so like i guess i have to fiddle around with the settings.

so like, what do i do with my badmonkey overdrive and mxr eq. some people told me to get rid of the eq. and to scoop (frowny-face looking i think) the eq pedal.

so what should i do ug

No, the scoop is the smiley face I believe.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Just play with the EQ, nobody can tell you exactly what to do with it because it needs to sound good to YOU. However, as a quick guideline 400hz and 800z tend to be the problem frequencies on the guitar, they're the ones that can sound kind of cheap and "boxy". Attenuate those and things should get a lot crisper and tighter. Anything lower than that is where things can get muddy so if that's the problem play around with them, everything above that is where the guts of your sound is so that's what you'll probably want to spend the most time tweaking, you want things bright and full enough to cut through but watch the very top frequencies, they can make things a bit hissy.

As far as the OD goes just use it as a boost - turn the level up and the gain down.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
Just play with the EQ, nobody can tell you exactly what to do with it because it needs to sound good to YOU. However, as a quick guideline 400hz and 800z tend to be the problem frequencies on the guitar, they're the ones that can sound kind of cheap and "boxy". Attenuate those and things should get a lot crisper and tighter. Anything lower than that is where things can get muddy so if that's the problem play around with them, everything above that is where the guts of your sound is so that's what you'll probably want to spend the most time tweaking, you want things bright and full enough to cut through but watch the very top frequencies, they can make things a bit hissy.

As far as the OD goes just use it as a boost - turn the level up and the gain down.

hm, i've been tweaking for hours, but I still get a weird dull, and flat sound. i can get an excellent "metal/hardcore" tone out of it, but its just not what i want right now.

as for the eq pedal, should i like "sweep"(not sure if thats the right term) it. like make it look like a smiley face or frowny face. or should i adjust to like a personal taste kinda thing.
sounds to me that you have poor pickups. Poor pickups react poorly too EQ (unless you got a 20 band rackmount or Parametric equalizer which can boost and cut very far)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by DannyRL
hm, i've been tweaking for hours, but I still get a weird dull, and flat sound. i can get an excellent "metal/hardcore" tone out of it, but its just not what i want right now.

as for the eq pedal, should i like "sweep"(not sure if thats the right term) it. like make it look like a smiley face or frowny face. or should i adjust to like a personal taste kinda thing.

I just told you what to do with the EQ pedal and what the different frequencies do, it's up to you to use your ears and hear them for yourself though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com