Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think Anarchy could work
Yes
107 20%
No
431 80%
Voters: 539.
Page 1 of 9
do you think anarchy can really work? do you think anarchy can make a successful, healthy, well around society or is a wanting for disaster? discuss
No.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
No. That's the point, to have a dysfunctional society.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Cool idea, albeit childish, but it could never work. Ever. I'm proud to see 100% ''No'' so far.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
No.

I don't know which would be worse though, Anarchy or Communism. On one hand, we know that Communism usually ends up with thousands, if not millions, of people being tortured and killed but we don't know what anarchy really does because it's hardly been tested. It could be better or worse.
As much as i would love for it to, it would never work in the society that we live in today.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by Tire Me.
Technically my country was founded by anarchists. Sooo yeah rarely it works.

What country is that?
It's a nice idea, I don't think it could ever succeed though.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Quote by Tire Me.
Technically my country was founded by anarchists. Sooo yeah rarely it works.

icwatudidthar
Quote by -tempest-
icwatudidthar

ialsocwatudidthar
In essence, absolutely it can work. Anarchy really is just a form of rebellion, and if you look at wars for Independence or new representation, like the American war for Independence or the French Revolution, they both were basic forms of anrachy. The Nazi war agenda can be taken as anarchist towards common civilization.
But as for acchieving a higher standard of living... no. Anarchy, when successful, almost always will eventually revert back to tyranny and squalor of what the anarchists tried to overcome. The world is imperfect; you can't have a perfect revolution.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Quote by Thrasher51
No. That's the point, to have a dysfunctional society.

no dude. anarchy is usually confused as a synonym for chaos anarchy is not chaos. anarchy is society without a form of government or authority. for example people in anarchist society don't go to work. there is no occupations in anarchy its all volunteer work its pretty cool. there also a belief that lets say i murdered somebody because theres no government theres no fair trials the society out of fear and anger would just team up and kill him/her themselves. don't want to sound scary but I think the last thing I mentioned is a cool/better idea. i'm tired of all these rapist/murderers getting out with like 4 years of prison and probation. thats not justice.
Quote by Harrydoodle
no dude. anarchy is usually confused as a synonym for chaos anarchy is not chaos. anarchy is society without a form of government or authority. for example people in anarchist society don't go to work. there is no occupations in anarchy its all volunteer work its pretty cool. there also a belief that lets say i murdered somebody because theres no government theres no fair trials the society out of fear and anger would just team up and kill him/her themselves. don't want to sound scary but I think the last thing I mentioned is a cool/better idea. i'm tired of all these rapist/murderers getting out with like 4 years of prison and probation. thats not justice.

True enough. It was said rather hastily and without me realizing my mistake.
You am raped my internets

Anarchy won't work
Quote by StratoTele
The punji sticks only work if you use your own feces. Most brand names aren't reliable.

All I gotta do is put on a cool face...
There's no such thing as pure anarchy. Relative anarchy is one thing but some form of government is the natural state of things. An example is the anarcho-communist ideal of the collective. It's relatively anarchic compared to modern democracy but at the same time it would have to rely on de-facto governmental principles to sustain itself.

Anyway, short answer: no.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
There's no such thing as pure anarchy. Relative anarchy is one thing but some form of government is the natural state of things. An example is the anarcho-communist ideal of the collective. It's relatively anarchic compared to modern democracy but at the same time it would have to rely on de-facto governmental principles to sustain itself.

Anyway, short answer: no.

i agree with the fact there is no such thing as true anarchy. anarchy I like to put it is true democracy to an extreme. but in such ways i believe it could work. but i respect your stance.
Quote by Harrydoodle
tr00f.

And no, anarchy wouldn't work.
Quote by Tire Me.
The country of Anarchy.

jk, 'Merica.

I have no idea what he is talking about but there really is an anarchist society today
i think its called Freetown Christiana. look it up
Although total anarchy would fail, I also believe that our government could use a MASSIVE reduction in just about every department.

We're forced year after year to pick between the lesser of two evils and our paychecks are inevitably looted to pay for Washington's newest failures.

Meanwhile, people in the president's cabinet can't even seem to remember to pay their taxes, but are they tried and imprisoned? No way.
Remember when you were young
You shone like the sun...
Quote by Harrydoodle
do you think anarchy can really work? do you think anarchy can make a successful, healthy, well rounded society or is a wanting for disaster? discuss

Isn't that the opposite of anarchy?
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by SURFraptor7
Although total anarchy would fail, I also believe that our government could use a MASSIVE reduction in just about every department.

We're forced year after year to pick between the lesser of two evils and our paychecks are inevitably looted to pay for Washington's newest failures.

Meanwhile, people in the president's cabinet can't even seem to remember to pay their taxes, but are they tried and imprisoned? No way.

wow. never though about that. your right. I just had an ephiphany that the body of society is doing all the work. the people who run society are even doing there own part except ****ing us over to a more creative degree everyday haha this blows!
i think people overlook small things that would be gone if there was anarchy. like traffic lights, grocery stores, etc.

its a cool idea but it would in no way work
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Quote by Colton165

no....anarchy is basically just no government
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
You can call me Matt
Quote by Colton165

Like we just said: Anarchy is misinterpreted for chaos, destruction, etc.

It all depends on the community where every person of that community has to play a part.

You're basically depending on each other instead of a government supplying your needs. What's yours is mine and what's mine is yours. You break into my house, you're breaking into the peoples house.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
Like we just said: Anarchy is misinterpreted for chaos, destruction, etc.

It all depends on the community where every person of that community has to play a part.

You're basically depending on each other instead of a government supplying your needs. What's yours is mine and what's mine is yours. You break into my house, you're breaking into the peoples house.

finally someone in the pit with a brain. thank you angusfan16!
Quote by Harrydoodle
finally someone in the pit with a brain. thank you angusfan16!

i have a brain too! im cool!!!

LIKE MEEEE!!!!!!!
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
You can call me Matt
Quote by Harrydoodle
i agree with the fact there is no such thing as true anarchy. anarchy I like to put it is true democracy to an extreme. but in such ways i believe it could work. but i respect your stance.

True democracy to an extreme would be called democracy.
In democracy, the will of the majority governs the minority.
In anarchy, the will of one person governs that person and nobody else. They're 2 totally different ideas... in anarchy, there is no established order or control over the system. Thus, the only way it can survive is if everyone agrees on everything, otherwise dissent will lead to conflict, and conflict leads to an introduction of order. How that order is implemented will determine the nature of the political system, but it obviously won't be anarchy.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Last edited by Rebelw/outaCord at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
True democracy to an extreme would be called democracy.
In democracy, the will of the majority governs the minority.
In anarchy, the will of one person governs that person and nobody else. They're 2 totally different ideas... in anarchy, there is no established order or control over the system. Thus, the only way it can survive is if everyone agrees on everything, otherwise dissent will lead to conflict, and conflict leads to an introduction of order. How that order is implemented will determine the nature of the political system, but it obviously won't be anarchy.

This is exactly why anarchy won't work in todays societys.
Sail upon the open skies
Anarchy could not, and won't work. Free-form utopian societies only exist in fairy tales & the minds of religious fanatics. Society w/out order, rules, etc. IS chaos, and therefore not society at all. It's a paradox, and only good for questionable graffiti and tattoo designs.
Quote by Harrydoodle
I have no idea what he is talking about but there really is an anarchist society today
i think its called Freetown Christiana. look it up

Sorry the redneck joke way of saying "America" is by dropping the 'A'.
"Could" is the operative word there. It's definitely possible, but the right circumstances would have to come together perfectly. It's not very likely, especially with the general population's feelings about anarchy.
kill all humans
'Mature' anarchy is just extreme capitalism, I think it could work, but it's not how most typical young anarchists view it, instead of being ruled by a democratic government our lives would be controlled by major corporations, indirectly controlled by us, the market. A lot of problems could easily arise seeing as security would be taken care of by private security companies, like the 'rent-a-cops' we have now, but with a lot more power, and healthcare would be handled by private insurance companies that own hospitals and clinics. The irony is that most anarchists today are anti-materialist or anti-consumerist, and actual anarchy would be highly dependent on those values.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Quote by oldkoolairbrush
Anarchy could not, and won't work. Free-form utopian societies only exist in fairy tales & the minds of religious fanatics. Society w/out order, rules, etc. IS chaos, and therefore not society at all. It's a paradox, and only good for questionable graffiti and tattoo designs.

haha i lol'd at that last part