Page 1 of 2
dumb question. two totally different eras and styles of music. /thread
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
Yes, as far as inovation rather than playing the same scales over and over. But no as far as speed. But I think Hendrix is overrated anyways.
I don't think Hendrix was that great.

*flameshield*
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
he was more innovative and generally more fun to listen to, so I'll have to say, that yes, he was better at what really counts music wise.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Hendrix blows most any guitar player away, if you think otherwise, you obviously have never listened to the woodstock concert or anything other live material by him. Comparing him to shredders? FAIL. Thats like comparing nirvana to the jonas brothers.
when will this stop. quit comparing guitarists nobody will every agree. hendrix was great and so are other guitarists.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Well, he came up with a really cool way of playing for his time, and people are still trying to figure out exactly what he was doing.. but it's all a matter of taste as to whether or not he was "better" than "all those shredders".
Anyone else think new users should be put on a probation period before they can make threads? These pointless ones are really bugging the forum up.
He was better in some ways, worse in others. Any shredder can play his stuff comfortably, but hendrix was a great musical composer and wrote some great material. However, his playing ability is definitely inferior to the shredders.
ugh who cares...what it comes down to is the music and i dont care how good you are at guitar. It's the unique songwriting ability that counts for me...soloing is important but shredders are usually about speed not style
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Anyone else think new users should be put on a probation period before they can make threads? These pointless ones are really bugging the forum up.

+1

Another reason why Gamefaqs is better than UG....
If Hendrix hadn't died no one would give a **** about his playing. Maybe for the skill he had acquired since then, but definitely not for the skill he had before he died. He wasn't that great. Really.
Yeah he phasing within a chord beats all that speed tech out. He also had soul. Most metal nowdays just sound like randon threw together. I blame metallica.
Quote by shadesofanger
I don't think Hendrix was that great.

*flameshield*

i agree with you

*hidesnexttoyou*
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by nincompoop
If Hendrix hadn't died no one would give a **** about his playing. Maybe for the skill he had acquired since then, but definitely not for the skill he had before he died. He wasn't that great. Really.

To say he wasn't that great is wrong, you're stupid. You obviously sit around listening to metal and try to play as fast as you can. Hendrix put THE most soul into guitar playing compared to any other guitarist. His playing is extrordinary, really, you're a lame. Listen to the woodstock improvisation or even red house at woodstock and tell me the man isn't good. There is no way kirk hammet or anyone in metal could compare to that.
Cant say I listen to many of the shredders. But I do think that Hendrix was the greatest guitar player ever.

I guess you could call me a fanboy. But I honestly believe that.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by nincompoop

everyone seemed to give a shit about it when he was alive, he pretty much revolutionized rock guitar, Eddie Van Halen isn't that great compared to a lot of people that came after, but everyone still gives a shit about him for pretty much te same reason.

Last.fm
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Hendrix blows most any guitar player away, if you think otherwise, you obviously have never listened to the woodstock concert or anything other live material by him. Comparing him to shredders? FAIL. Thats like comparing nirvana to the jonas brothers.

seriously the jonas brothers freaking OWN nirvana

EDIT: THAT WAS A JOKE
GEAR
Fender American Jazz Standard Bass
EHX Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5 synth
Peavy Max 700 Bass Amp w/ Peavy Pro 410 Bass Cab
Ampeg BA-115T

Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook
Quote by \m/Angus\m/

Why? The bottom comparison made sense. They both have simple power chord filled riffs, they both have lyrics no one understands, they're both overrated to hell, both of them are best used if played at a high school talent show, and both of em have a lead singer who will end up dead before he's 30.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
everyone seemed to give a shit about it when he was alive, he pretty much revolutionized rock guitar, Eddie Van Halen isn't that great compared to a lot of people that came after, but everyone still gives a shit about him for pretty much te same reason.

That's true. However people still still say they're "THE BEST GUITARISTS EVER", when in reality, the likes of Jeff Lumis, Chris Broderick, Chris Poland... or even Zakk Wylde would wipe the floor with them.

Also! I tend to hunt people down for putting Angus Young's playing on a pedestal. The man is a power-chord machine and his solos are boring.
Last edited by nincompoop at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by nincompoop

Are you crazy? People were blown away when they heard Hendrix in the 60's. He was so innovative and a much better rhythm player and songwritter than shredders. Not really comparable though, it's all opinion.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by i_killed_bill
Why? The bottom comparison made sense. They both have simple power chord filled riffs, they both have lyrics no one understands, they're both overrated to hell, both of them are best used if played at a high school talent show, and both of em have a lead singer who will end up dead before he's 30.

Ah, to be ignorant to emotions in music. Kurt Cobain is easily one of the great songwriters of my generation. His guitar playing wasn't great, but he didn't try to sell it like it was. His influences were punk rock, he wasn't trying to be a shreddin fag.
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
To say he wasn't that great is wrong, you're stupid. You obviously sit around listening to metal and try to play as fast as you can. Hendrix put THE most soul into guitar playing compared to any other guitarist. His playing is extrordinary, really, you're a lame. Listen to the woodstock improvisation or even red house at woodstock and tell me the man isn't good. There is no way kirk hammet or anyone in metal could compare to that.

BB King, Elvis Presley, Paul Mcartney, Bob Dylan...

The list goes on.
Quote by nincompoop

What?That stupid thing to say. I use Clapton , Gilmore and Page as proof you are wrong. People are still loves there music and inspire by it. Their fanbase grows every year.
Quote by nincompoop
That's true. However people still still say they're "THE BEST GUITARISTS EVER", when in reality, the likes of Jeff Lumis, Chris Broderick, Chris Poland... or even Zakk Wylde would wipe the floor with them.

actually, I'd rather listen to Hendrix than any of those people (and I really like metal too) especially Zakk Wylde, he really really really sucks.

Last.fm
Quote by i_killed_bill
BB King, Elvis Presley, Paul Mcartney, Bob Dylan...

The list goes on.

Ok, BB King played the blues, and the blues only, and mastered it. Elvis hardly played guitar, mainly three chord riffs, uh... Paul played bass? Duh. And Bob Dylan?!!? Are you serious?! Hendrix redid his songs and took them to a whole other level.
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Ok, BB King played the blues, and the blues only, and mastered it. Elvis hardly played guitar, mainly three chord riffs, uh... Paul played Bass? Duh. And Bob Dylan?!!? Are you serious?! Hendrix redid his songs and took them to a whole other level.

Whoah, whoah, whoah

Paul played bass?

From my understanding he's the lead guitar play. I thought George played bass.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
actually, I'd rather listen to Hendrix than any of those people (and I really like metal too) especially Zakk Wylde, he really really really sucks.

I'm no fan of Zakk Wylde, but he is incredible. He doesn't seem to use the extent of his skill, because he's a pretty bad song-writer, and he tends to wh0re harmonics and stuff, but at his best he is godly.
yes. he didnt have the most skittles. but he did have the most steez.

steez is more important than skittles.

cookie for whoever understands what i just said.
Quote by i_killed_bill
Whoah, whoah, whoah

Paul played bass?

From my understanding he's the lead guitar play. I thought George played bass.

Uhm no, he played bass, the violin shaped bass. Where the **** have you been getting your info?
Page 1 of 2