So everyone here basically hates the MG series from Marshall. Are any of the other series any good or should I just get a Vox like my friend?
Budget??
Styles you play??
Gig or home use??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I would suggest a Mesa Boogie full stack.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Budget??
Styles you play??
Gig or home use??

around $400
Punk mostly (sum 41, the offspring, avenged sevenfold)
Is there one that would be suitable for home use and small venues?

sorry for not including that before
Quote by Artemis Entreri
You can't really get a marshall tube amp for 400$

Who said anything about a tube amp? And is there a decent one that I can plug my headphones into while I practice?
Decent and tube amp for Marshall are almost synonymous. I can't, off the top of my head, think of a decent SS Marshall amp.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
If you're looking for a decent, cheap practice amp for solitary at home low volume practice, I recommend Fender's G-DEC. I love mine, and the wife and neighbors tolerate it a hell of a lot more than my JSX halfer
Quote by Breezedog
If you're looking for a decent, cheap practice amp for solitary at home low volume practice, I recommend Fender's G-DEC. I love mine, and the wife and neighbors tolerate it a hell of a lot more than my JSX halfer

I had a G-Dec, sold myn for a Vypyr. IMO the Vypyr would be better for you, very versatile amp that would suit the styles of music you play. It also has a headphone out which i use alot of the time.

Im not sure if the Vypyr 30 would be loud enough for a gig, do you have a drummer or is it you/you and a singer? Ive been told he 30 watt CAN be heard over a drummer, i havent tested this out so i cant help you their.

But yeah, the vypyr seems to be what you need.

Unless your going to be giging allot, then im not sure what to suggest. Bugera's are cheap tubes, other than that i dont know.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by DiizZ
I had a G-Dec, sold myn for a Vypyr. IMO the Vypyr would be better for you, very versatile amp that would suit the styles of music you play. It also has a headphone out which i use alot of the time.

Im not sure if the Vypyr 30 would be loud enough for a gig, do you have a drummer or is it you/you and a singer? Ive been told he 30 watt CAN be heard over a drummer, i havent tested this out so i cant help you their.

But yeah, the vypyr seems to be what you need.

Unless your going to be giging allot, then im not sure what to suggest. Bugera's are cheap tubes, other than that i dont know.

The vypyr seems pretty good, I good probably get the Vypyr 75 . Would that be a decent one for gigging?
Quote by OneTimer1127

Sure, because if he can afford an MG combo, he can afford a Mesa full stack.
^
Marshall G series = Marshall MG series........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^
Marshall G series = Marshall MG series........

it`s wasn`t an MG, i had it LONNNNNNG b4 the MG`s, i have an MG now they diddn`t sound anything alike. and i`d still have it if i diddn`t break it, cause i really like that amp.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
You can't really get a marshall tube amp for 400$

I almost bought a JTM-30 for $300 a couple weeks ago.

Quote by OneTimer1127

Me too, just not for this guy.

Quote by Jacobjc
around $400
Punk mostly (sum 41, the offspring, avenged sevenfold)
Is there one that would be suitable for home use and small venues?

Plenty of good amps in that range. Are you willing to buy used to save cash and get better gear? If so, what major city do you live near, there are good used deals all over the US right now.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

Plenty of good amps in that range. Are you willing to buy used to save cash and get better gear? If so, what major city do you live near, there are good used deals all over the US right now.

major city? I guess for me that would be Boston
Hmm, I bet you could find a Mesa F30 in that range. Possibly?

Not really the same voicing as a Marshall so maybe something else. You could even go with a Classic 30 or a Crate V. I''ve gotten decent punk/pop punk tones out of them
guitar center has the Peavey Winsdor Half stack for $399.99 on sale. dont know if thats what he would want, but its a 100watt all tube head and 4x12 cab.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Windsor-100W-All-Tube-Half-Stack-485059-i1320783.gc

also the Peavey Bandit is no bad of an amp as well as the Vypyr series
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by Jacobjc
major city? I guess for me that would be Boston

OK. I don't know why you have Marshall and Vox as your main brands but for what you play, most amps can generate those tones. The real trick is the bedroom practice, headphone and gigs. I prefer tube amps, and I don't consider myself a snob or elitist for preferring them. They just simply get better tone.

$200 SuperChamp XD. This is a great little practice amp, it's a modeling amp like the vypyr but I think it's better for the cash. This is the amp I like to show people when they get on the Fender can't do metal kick. If they say that, they haven't tried this amp.
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/1039143966.html 15 watts, quiet enough for a bedroom when needed but also can be mic'd for gigs, if you even think you need to.

HOLY FOCKING SHlT!
Ampeg J12R. $150? Don't let imgooley see this one.. This is the bomb for the price. Still no headphones, but would be good for what you play, takes pedals well and can do quiet or loud. May need to mic it if gigged, may not.
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/msg/1038372965.html

Peavey Delta Blues, asking $425. These sell for $350 all the time so he's a little high on his price... It is basically a Classic 30 with Tremolo and a 15 inch speaker. This does quiet well, I used to have one. Like the Ampeg above, you would want an overdrive pedal to get more gain out of it. Solid amp, gigable as is. http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/1036664314.html

Mesa .22 calibur. Good amp - the lower line of Mesa's but still very good quality. More gain on tap than the others without pedals, 15 watts. Asking $500 but would likely bargain a bit. These are $400-425 amps generally used.http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/msg/1033314495.html

Traynor YCS20 - asking $400 - good bedroom/small gig amp. I think he's a little high on the price but http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/msg/1035391070.html

TS9- $70 bucks for a decent tubescreamer is a decent price. Looks clean. http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/1036392015.html

Diezel, $500 http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/msg/1030712479.html Just kidding, it's $5,000, but I thought I would get the gain *****'s freaking out a little.

My point is just that there is really good stuff all around you that you can play at lower volumes. When quiet isn't quiet enough, I just play unplugged or if you want, grab one of those Vox amplugs to play with headphones. Try before you buy!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 18, 2009,