hey everyone.

i recently bought a b-stock yairi dym85 stamped with an "almost perfect" condition.

alvarez yairi dym85

there are pics there and nothing noticeably bad. but i recieved an emai today from a guy at the company telling me that when he inspected it prior to shipping, he "noticed a very small hairline crack in the top where the book matched pieces meet" (solid spruce top with solid kihada back and sides). said the guitars playability and structure are not affected but it is a crack...

so hes giving me the option of taking 100 off and sending me that guitar still or he also has another b-stock of that same model that he would send me. but the thing with this other b-stock is that i dont know the defects yet (the one i bought was stamped "almost perfect" and im not sure yet if this is, but he said both play and sound great and would for years). i sent him an email asking for some more pics and to see the label in the soundhole showing model and serial. he also gave me the option of a full refund.

i do believe him about everything, rather than thinking im getting jipped. there is a full refund offered. but i was very happy with the guitar and the price that i got it at. so im wondering what should i do? should i just take the other b-stock? the one i bought was brand new and im not sure if the other one offered now has been played. ive sent an email with some questions so ill know more later.

im not sure why, but he said this other one he offered has a different color to the back and side wood (though its clean and has no apparent defects). why would the back and sides of the same model have different color (grain pattern looks a bit different too)?

here are some pics of the crack and some comparison pics of the backs. click the pictures to make them bigger.

crack

crack

cracked guitar's back

cracked guitar's back

other b-stock's back

other b-stock's back

so what do you guys think of this situation? why would the other guitar have different color to back and sides? is there some place i could check some sort of history or something about the guitars with their serial numbers? what do you think i should do here? what difference would that hairline crack make?

if anyone can say anything about this situation id appreciate the help, knowledge and advice very much.

thanks.
Last edited by theWallofYAWN at Feb 17, 2009,
The guy is right in telling you that it doesn't really affect the structural stability. The strength of the wood runs along with the grain's lines. The crack shouldn't get any bigger.

As for why the other guitar is such a different colour... all trees have their own unique traits. How they grew and the type of climate they were exposed to changes how they look like and what they sound like. Different colours do not mean that one is superior than another. Just different.

As for what you should do... I would either keep it or exchange it. Alvarez makes great guitars.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
A good way to check if the crack is just in the finish or all the way into the wood is to push against the edge of the crack with the ball of your thumb and watch for any movement in the wood. If there is movement the crack is in the wood. So on to step 2
Unstring the guitar and reach inside and press dead center in the crack FROM THE INSIDE. This should cause the crack to open up kinda like a baby canal. Using titebond or hideglue, press some of that sticky icky into the crack but not too much, be conservative. As soon as you pressed some of that into there, release the crack and there should be beads coming out of the crack, if not do this until there are small beads. Wipe down the area with a conservatively damp warm cloth to get rid of the glue residual on that beautiful finish. Now use masking tape to tape the crack at a right angle, make sure you dont press the tape onto the crack itself but keep it stretched across the crack. Use as many pieces as you need. In about 12 hours your guitar should be healed. IF the glue stuck to the tape, you should carefully remove it with a Xacto knife. After everything is done, polish that guitar up and its good as new.
FS LTD EC-50 with GFS PowerRails Bridge pickup
^ the problem with this crack is that it isn't a crack -- it's a failed joint where the two halves of the top were joined together. There will already be glue in there and will prevent new glue from bonding. If the manufacturer used hide glue, that won't be a problem, but these days, most companies and builders choose modern glues.

Is the back cracked too? If it is, it's hardly noticable. It's also unusual to see a guitar like that with no binding -- it looks nice.

Do you think the crack is something you can live with????
It isn't structural and you can't even see it

Take the 100 off and go for it!
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.
the back isnt cracked. only the top spruce piece looks to be a bit seperated. i havent touched the guitar yet as i bought it online on ebay.

this "hairline crack" does look really thin and you guys assure me that it wont affect its integrity. i dont care about how the crack looks because i think the guitar is beautiful. so if its not a whole lot worse than any other cosmetic blem then i should remain happy with this guitar.

so that would leave me between the decision of taking 100 off and buying this guitar with the crack or taking the other b-stock instead. ill decide when he tells me more about the other b-stock which he already told me is very clean and free of defects (not sure yet why its considered b-stock and whether or not its new or used).

i love how this one looks, the colors are beautiful. but i think the other will look really nice too becuase with the lighter back and sides, it should match the top spruce even more and i think that would look really nice. so if everything is fine with that guitar then i think ill just exchange it, otherwise ill take the ex-"almost perfect" cracked guitar and be happy with that one as my first almost-high quality guitar.
Almost-high quality? Alvarez Yairi are actually considered one of the biggest steals in high-quality guitars.

The other one is probably a B-Stock because it has a very small cosmetic flaw, like a chip in the headstock or an uneven inlay.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
You can glue small wooden cleats to the crack on the inside for reinforcement. But the crack might make it really unique, with good vibration. Heck, Willie Nelson's Martin has a hole in it, and its probably the only guitar I can recognize by sound alone on a CD. If someone had proof Brad Paisley used a Dean or Slash used a Strat, I would immediately hear age old arguments that the tone is in the amp, the effects, and the player.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by millerdrr
You can glue small wooden cleats to the crack on the inside for reinforcement. But the crack might make it really unique, with good vibration. Heck, Willie Nelson's Martin has a hole in it, and its probably the only guitar I can recognize by sound alone on a CD. If someone had proof Brad Paisley used a Dean or Slash used a Strat, I would immediately hear age old arguments that the tone is in the amp, the effects, and the player.

<.<
>.>

Those have to be two of the most ridiculous fake gear matches I've ever heard! Can you imagine Brad Paisley using a Razorback?

And Willie's guitar? That thing is a perfect example of a guitar that has lost count of how many times it has been to hell and back. Willie's Martin, and SRV's Strat.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
Almost-high quality? Alvarez Yairi are actually considered one of the biggest steals in high-quality guitars.

The other one is probably a B-Stock because it has a very small cosmetic flaw, like a chip in the headstock or an uneven inlay.

ya i know, thats why i was so happy with the deal i got on it.

but i meant almost-high quality in reference to the almost-perfect stamped on the label in the sound hole and now because of the crack. if guitar players would still consider this specific guitar to be high quality with the blems and crack then that would be great.
Quote by millerdrr

hmm.. i like the thought of it becoming more unique because of this rather than being negatively affected. as long as it doesnt affect how it ages and plays over the years, but the dealer assured me that both guitars sound great and would play great for years to come.

so did you mean that this crack could affect the vibration and sound in a good way or can it hinder it too and with time and plenty of vibrating, also get worse and widen or crack more?
Last edited by theWallofYAWN at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by Natrone

<.<
>.>

Those have to be two of the most ridiculous fake gear matches I've ever heard! Can you imagine Brad Paisley using a Razorback?

And Willie's guitar? That thing is a perfect example of a guitar that has lost count of how many times it has been to hell and back. Willie's Martin, and SRV's Strat.

Yeah, I was going for the extreme. My point was, individual guitars are not often recognizable by tone to anyone beyond the owner. Hmmm....maybe BB King and Lucille? I couldn't, but a big fan of his...
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Quote by theWallofYAWN
hmm.. i like the thought of it becoming more unique because of this rather than being negatively affected. as long as it doesnt affect how it ages and plays over the years, but the dealer assured me that both guitars sound great and would play great for years to come.

so did you mean that this crack could affect the vibration and sound in a good way or can it hinder it too and with time and plenty of vibrating, also get worse and widen or crack more?

Unfortunately those questions are beyond my knowledge. I would assume the crack would allow the top to vibrate more freely. I just meant it might be something unique, say, after you go platinum six times and I hear you on the radio, I know immediately whether you are playing that guitar or not. That's what I meant by the joke just before that post; its really hard, for me at least, to pick out individual guitars owned by friends and relatives when blindfolded. None of my own guitars are so unique that I can tell them from similar models
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

I would get the other 'B' guitar. A cracked top isn't a small cosmetic imperfection, this is a serious defect. There are two possible causes of this; 1. the top spruce halves were not properly dried out before they they were jointed (glued together). After jointing and having the braces glued inside, the wood dried out some more and shrank, causing a crack. 2. The guitar was properly assembled but stored in an excessively dry environment, which caused it to crack. Either way I would stay away from it.
Assuming the same wood on the other guitar, I would guess the color is mostly due to a different batch of finish that brings out the color of the wood differently.
Quote by theWallofYAWN

A crack cannot affect the vibration nearly enough to improve vibrations. The crack shouldn't widen though. The tension goes along the length of the grain. There should be no reason for it to widen unless you're pressing on the top rather hard.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.