Page 1 of 2
So I have small hands, and physically, even if I forcibly stretch my fingers with my right hand, I can;t reach 4 frets not to mention my pink is extremely weak. What can I do to fix this? Right now I'm using a squeezy ball to strengthen my hand but it doesn't really help with reach.

ps I've only been playing like a month and a half.
Is your thumb hovering over the frets when you try to stretch your hand as far as you can? Try putting it right in the middle of the back of the fretboard then stretch your hand.
Don't worry about it at all. I had **** reach and weak hands when I first started, too. In a few months it'll be alot easier.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by GrimmBass
So I have small hands, and physically, even if I forcibly stretch my fingers with my right hand, I can;t reach 4 frets not to mention my pink is extremely weak. What can I do to fix this? Right now I'm using a squeezy ball to strengthen my hand but it doesn't really help with reach.

ps I've only been playing like a month and a half.

Practice. Use that pinky as much as possible. I spent a year not using mine, it limited my playing a lot. Hand size doesn't really matter, it's good technique that matters.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=986625&highlight=small+hands+bass

Check that thread out
i have small hands too bud, just keep practicing and your fingers will strengthen through that.
Try and use your pinky as much as possible so that it builds up strength faster. Do lots of those hand exercises that are in the lessons on the site, they truly help a lot.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Well I've only been using the squeezy ball since yesterday, so I'm glad I found out its bad now.

No my thumb is on the back, but I can't get my hand to square out its always at an angle.
If your hands are physically too small to reach, as in your skeleton just doesn't move that way, then go double bass style and use index/middle/pinky for the lower frets and use all 4 on the uppers.

If it's just a case of your hand not stretching far enough yet, ignore me.
Nope, no sig here.
I look at my hands and the problem I see isnt my pinky, cuz it looks like it would reach but 1. I can't seem to move my ring and pinky fingers separately, they pretty much move together. and 2. my middle and ring finger stick a bit close, causing my reach to be a bit smaller then I think it really is
Last edited by GrimmBass at Feb 17, 2009,
Quote by GrimmBass
I look at my hands and the problem I see isnt my pinky, cuz it looks like it would reach but 1. I can't seem to move my ring and pinky fingers separately, they pretty much move together. and 2. my middle and ring finger stick a bit close, causing my reach to be a bit smaller then I think it really is

controlling them seperatly will come with time..patience youg grassah hoppa
Quote by darkwolf291
controlling them seperatly will come with time..patience youg grassah hoppa

lol I lost all my patience after I stopped doing drugs.
At the beginning it will be hard but just keep trying because your fingers just havent had enough muscle memory and training. Learn to relax your fingers, if you ever try to play music with people youll be playing for hours at a time so the more relaxed you are the less tired your hand will get. Instead of using your ring finger for a whole step, try using your pinky.

Another option is if you cant reach, move your hand to play that note. Its tough to take yourself out of the box like playing but sometimes thats what you need to do.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Why would you get a hand exerciser? Just play your bass more, youll be stronger and youll get better at bass.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
If you are using proper technique, reach because of small hands should not be an issue 99% of the time.

*hyperbole warning*
Quote by GrimmBass

The ring and pinky fingers generally share a tendon that enables their motion ... they're just gonna want to move together because of that.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2005-05/1117326759.An.r.html <-- I just confirmed it with this ... thought it may be a rumor at first, but it seems to be tru.

Also, pretty much like anything else you can fix, or a tleast be able to overcome this problem, with a correct approach, time, and determination.

Spider exercise v2 in the **** for this. See previously posted topic:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=986625&highlight=small+hands+bass

To Captain Insano: Oomph! is a great band, good job.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Last edited by Thegian at Feb 18, 2009,
You could, if it's too much of a problem with short hands, get a short scale bass? might be easier? BUT the only way is practice... well not the only way but the best way....
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Even if you have tiny hands, do you have tiny woman hands? Anarkee, where are your hand picturesss.

(watch, you are a girl. In any case, small hands can work.)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
lol sadly I have childlike hands, the width I guess is real small (across my palm)

I heard short scale basses aren't very good, I looked up some anyway but truthfully all except the Ibanez GSRM20 looked ugly
Last edited by GrimmBass at Feb 18, 2009,
I used to have the same problem. My girlfriend has bigger hands than mine
and I'm taller than her haha. I'm a freak, small hands such at first. But now
It doesn't affect me to much. What I do/done was write down every combination
you can get usually the numbers 1,2,3,4. 1 = index finger. 2 = middle finger.
3 = ring finger, 4 = pinky. Every week or few days pick a new combo randomly.
Play it up and down on all strings, start slow and get faster. Use an online
metronome if you don't own one. It's what I do. Just do that before you play
everytime as a warm up. Also look up some finger stretches and stuff if you
don't already do them. Warming up is good for your hands and stuff, so you
won't get carpel tunnel or what ever in the future. Also helps you play better

[EDIT] By the way, do NOT speed up until you can play it perfectly using 1 finger
per fret. I found it really helped me but we're all different but it's worth a shot.
Last edited by TimeIsTheEnemy at Feb 18, 2009,
well I tried the spiderwalk....my fingers cant do it, even slowly, they cant reach

*feels dumb, and wimpy*
Quote by GrimmBass
well I tried the spiderwalk....my fingers cant do it, even slowly, they cant reach

Use your thumb as a pivot point and practice stretching. You've only been trying for a short period of time, not years or something.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by GrimmBass

*feels dumb, and wimpy*

Take it slower. There is no rule that says you need to do these fast. And make sure that thumb is behind the neck. This can be a problem, esp. if you played guitar before bass.

On the gripmaster. Avoid this like the plague. As I've said before, my husband's orthopedic surgeon hates those. They can be easily overused and lead to CTS or aggravate other conditions.
The problem isnt how fast I'm going its I cant reach all the frets at once to even do it right.

I never seriously played guitar, just messing around randomly hitting notes, but I did play cello like 5-6years ago.
I do plan on getting a teacher, unfortunately I can't seem to get a job to pay for one.
I've thought about this a bit and on what fret are you starting the spider scales? Move your hand up the neck to the higher frets where the spacing is not as wide and start them there.
I start on the 5th, I've tried moving up but its hard to hold on to the bass. (my strap broke a week ago and I won't be able t get a new one until the weekend)
not sure I could even do the hazard, cuz I can barely reach my ring finger, my pinky is like halfway there.
i had the same problem when i was first learning how to play because i have short finger also. I just kind of made my own style of playing and now move my hand around th neck more than most people do. not for every body though because the arm tends to get tired fast. I would recomend trying to do it proper but if you cant you noe knoe there is no reson you have to quit playing.
Not having a strap is a big issue. You're hand is having to do double duty--holding up the bass and fretting. Try again once you have a strap.
Maybe a shortscale bass would be a better investment for you..
If not, try the spider excerises. But dont make yourself play through any amount of pain, otherwise you risk damaging muscles etc, sounds silly, but its true
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
well I read that short scales are kind of crappy. Not to mention all the ones I've seen other then the Ibanez GSRM20 look ugly
Last edited by GrimmBass at Feb 19, 2009,
Page 1 of 2