Tell me about 'em, I don't know anything other than people seem to love them. How do they sound, what genre are they mostly used for, playing style mostly used for, their quality, anything.

And go
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
super versatile. and probably one of the punchiest sounding basses i have ever heard. really good for slap/pop playing.
They great basses. Fit in almost in everywhere, sound godly when picked, plucked and slapped.

For me personally, they are the be all end all basses.
Well, the above qualities are true for the Stingray. But the Bongo is a different story. It's got famous tonal versatility, and can be used for ANYTHING, even moreso than the Stinger.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
The dual humbucker/single-coil + humbucker combinations of the stingray and bongo are great for pretty much anything, especially the bongo. The single pickup versions are great but not so versatile.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at Feb 17, 2009,
I would buy one but i'm not quite at the stage where i can swallow my pride and get the "toilet bass"

High school kids are mean
Quote by Bass First
I would buy one but i'm not quite at the stage where i can swallow my pride and get the "toilet bass"

High school kids are mean

Well they are going to release a more affordable line of instruments under the name "Sterling by MusicMan". Here is the Brochure for the start lineup.
http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/Sterling_By_Musicman_Brochure.pdf

I play mainly guitar but always wanted to pick up bass but only really liked Stingrays but wanted something more quality than an OLP or a knock of Stingray.
I don't know the exact prices but word on different forums is that prices start at 300 to 400 for the cheapest an the most expensive for 700 to 800 US$. Unfortunately I don't know which one is for which model but still going to pick up a 4 string stingray in natural finish with maple fretboard.

Difference between "real" MusicMans and the Sterling line is that they are produced in Indonesia and China I believe, but quality of wood and electronics are suppose to be the same as the real deal and not just crappy knock of with the name printed on the headstock but nothing else in comment with the real MusicMan.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Musicmans have an attitude, the stingray anyway. They sound punchy, they have loads of bottom end and they highs aren't too shabby either. This is basically down too MusicMan finding the sweet spot on the bass for their pickups. Don't get me started on the double humbuckers...... I'm going too be buying one within the month.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
I've got a Sub Sterling, discontinued model which was reasonably cheap, which is an amazing bass, its only a single humbucker, but I can get quite a range of tones from it, its solid bass that I use more than any of my others, really well made, i've no problems with mine at all i'd really suggest you try some out.
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
If i bought a musicman it'd be either the sterling with a humbucker + single pickup or the stingray, which'd you chose?
Quote by Bass First
If i bought a musicman it'd be either the sterling with a humbucker + single pickup or the stingray, which'd you chose?

Stingray. only difference between stringray and sterling is that the sterling is a bit smaller.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Don't forget that Stingrays are extremely well-built as well. Probably some of the best construction you'll ever find on a mass-produced bass.

I'm actually GASing for another one lately; I've almost traded my Thumb BO5 for one a few times :/ My only gripe is the ability to tame them, they almost always sound in-your-face and dialing that out is pretty difficult.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88
Don't forget that Stingrays are extremely well-built as well. Probably some of the best construction you'll ever find on a mass-produced bass.

I'm actually GASing for another one lately; I've almost traded my Thumb BO5 for one a few times :/ My only gripe is the ability to tame them, they almost always sound in-your-face and dialing that out is pretty difficult.

I love the in your face sound of the stingray. I want a bass that is in your face and shakes you down to the bone. Just can´t wait till the Sterling by MusicMan cames out.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by Bass First
Gah, too bad fenders/spectors/musicman basses are almost impossible to get in australia.

Where are you looking.

they are the only half decent brands I see!

sometimes scattered with a few warwicks.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by helsinki_vampir
Stingray. only difference between stringray and sterling is that the sterling is a bit smaller.

There's other differences as well. the Sterling has a different pre amp, a very different pickup and has an extra fret, as well as a smaller neck.

Quote by helsinki_vampir
I love the in your face sound of the stingray. I want a bass that is in your face and shakes you down to the bone. Just can´t wait till the Sterling by MusicMan cames out.

What?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by fleajr_1412
What?

Quote by helsinki_vampir
Well they are going to release a more affordable line of instruments under the name "Sterling by MusicMan". Here is the Brochure for the start lineup.
http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/Sterling_By_Musicman_Brochure.pdf

I play mainly guitar but always wanted to pick up bass but only really liked Stingrays but wanted something more quality than an OLP or a knock of Stingray.
I don't know the exact prices but word on different forums is that prices start at 300 to 400 for the cheapest an the most expensive for 700 to 800 US$. Unfortunately I don't know which one is for which model but still going to pick up a 4 string stingray in natural finish with maple fretboard.

Difference between "real" MusicMans and the Sterling line is that they are produced in Indonesia and China I believe, but quality of wood and electronics are suppose to be the same as the real deal and not just crappy knock of with the name printed on the headstock but nothing else in comment with the real MusicMan.

THIS!

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
i gotta be honest those "sterling by musicman" basses don't do it for me, i've got a feeling they'll be cheap and nasty
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
i gotta be honest those "sterling by musicman" basses don't do it for me, i've got a feeling they'll be cheap and nasty

Don't think so. Sterling Ball is know to have high standard so I doubt that they will be just another OLP or knock of. There will still be high quality control. Also I think it's a good business move since Fender basically "claims world domination" in the mid price section. I jus don't have the money for a real EBMM and therefor have high hopes that they will be good quality instruments at reasonable prices.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
THIS!

Ah yes, I remember that now. i thought you were talking about actual Music Man Sterling basses.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Ah yes, I remember that now. i thought you were talking about actual Music Man Sterling basses.

I know. its a bit confusing in the beginning since there is the model sterling. thats why it is "Serling by MusicMan" as a full name for that "company" (company, department, part... call it what you want just as long as the point gets through).

Best way to remember for me is:
Ernie Ball -> help make MusicMan big

his son Serling Ball -> hopefully makes Sterling by MusicMan big and an alternative to Fender in the 300 to 1000 $ department.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Quote by helsinki_vampir
Don't think so. Sterling Ball is know to have high standard so I doubt that they will be just another OLP or knock of. There will still be high quality control. Also I think it's a good business move since Fender basically "claims world domination" in the mid price section. I jus don't have the money for a real EBMM and therefor have high hopes that they will be good quality instruments at reasonable prices.

they did this with the SUB series then stopped producing them because they wanted musicman to be a high end manufacturer only
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
they did this with the SUB series then stopped producing them because they wanted musicman to be a high end manufacturer only

No. They stoped preducing the SUBs because they were losing money on every SUB they sold because they sold them beneath their actually value.
Now with the Sterling by MusicMan they are able to go lower in price since they are not made in the US like all EBMMs.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
A few comments to all that has been said.

The SUB line are a great economic alternative to a MM. You can still find them used in shops and online. My local shop has one at 400 USD right now. I'd avoid OLPs myself.

I own a Stingray FL and its a glorious bass. As a Fretless it has quite a voice and its mwah, with roundwounds cuts through any mix. I have to put flats on it to play straight jazz because it can easily overpower any one else I play with.

Musicmen basses, as said above are extremely well built and are great investments for your playing. I want to get Bongo someday as well.
i have a sterling.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
So, basically these things are badass, and entirely well worth the over $1000 they cost. I'll certainly consider getting one one day then.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by Helbent Revenge
So, basically these things are badass, and entirely well worth the over $1000 they cost. I'll certainly consider getting one one day then.

Exactly
And with the new "Sterling By MusicMan" line hopefully also the lower price range (below 1000$)

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Well I was finally able to play a Bongo, and I can honestly say it was the best thing I've ever played. That's quite a compliment considering how the action was high and the strings were dead.
Their my favorite basses! My favorites are the HH models, because they have the most versitality and you can still get the classic stingray sound. But i do perfer my stingray over my bongo

And if you are having trouble finding a EBMM just head over to EB Forum they are usually fine with shipping almost anywhere
Quote by ZaccB
Where are you looking.

they are the only half decent brands I see!

sometimes scattered with a few warwicks.

If you live in melbourne, GIVE ME A SHOP. PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
I don't really like them too much, played a few, didn't hate the way they played, didn't love the way they look.

BUT, this is gorgeous:
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
The only thing i have against it is the pickguard. If you took it off all musicmen would look awesome IMO.
Quote by Bass First
The only thing i have against it is the pickguard. If you took it off all musicmen would look awesome IMO.

A friend of mine has a Stingray thats all black, and had a pickguard that looked like diamond plate, but was aluminum. Looked dumb, took the pickguard off, looked great.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic