hey guys, im not rich by any means and the budget is $400 and under for an amp.
I'm a sucker for that rich creamy overdriven sound
some examples come from many blues artists when they use distortion like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Buddy Guy
what amps do you guys recommend?

hows
the Fender Super Champ XD
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075
and Vox VT30
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT30-30W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483552
I think a used Blues Jr. would be better suited for that kind of music, not sure about those prices though.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Buddy Guy and Stevie Ray actually had pretty bright tones, but I get what you're saying.

You'd be good with a Blues Junior.

Edit:

A Epi Valve Standard would also get you there, as would a Fender Pro Junior.
Last edited by imgooley at Feb 18, 2009,
I agree with the others - a Blues Jr. sounds like something you would like.
Blues Jr. is the way to go for you (I just got one and it's perfect for that tone)
Fender 1989 MIJ Strat (It's from the 80's, so it's gotta be legit!)
Breedlove AC25 SM
A Blues Jr sounds perfect, a bit over your range but save up and you wont regret it .
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Like everyone else has said, a Blues Jr or a Pro Jr with an EQ pedal sounds like what you want.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Blues Junior
Pro Jr
Blackheart Little Giant
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Epiphone Valve Standard
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by spike339
Peavey Windsor 100W All Tube Half Stack
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-All-Tube-Half-Stack?sku=485059
There ya go, says it right in the description.

Is this really dry sarcasm?
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
how does the Blues Junior compare to the Fender Super Champ XD?
I was really considering the Super Champ XD as my next amp because of all the features it has and all the rave reviews it keeps getting. There are many different types of amp models which is a big plus for me. I dont really have to think about the settings and I can just switch accordingly to what Im feeling.
The Blues Junior though, is becoming another big consideration because of all your comments and because I've seen them selling for around $200 on eBay which is a fantastic price. The Super Champ XD sells for about $300 give or take.
any comments on the Fender Super Champ XD?
I've heard many people say that it is a very versatile amp
and sounds great at low volumes
I again must recommend the BJr. Now I will say it's not a very versatile amp. Cleans, blues, and lighter classic rock are (hard rock with an OD) are what you're looking at. That being said, I can get a pretty close representation of SRV's tone.

If you think you need the versatility of the XD then it's probably the better choice, otherwise the BJr does those sounds better IMO.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
when you say creamy do you mean like eric clapton (Cream) if so grab the Blues Jr. and use your neck pick up and turn the tone knob off (oldest trick in the book)
Oh Hey look at my signature
The Super Champ XD is pretty freaking sweet, and can get you that kind of tone. The Blues Jr. would do it better, but the Super Champ does a lot of other things better.

Both are pretty much entry-level amps anyway, it's not a big upgrade to go from an XD to a BJr. Might as well save your money now.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Personally, I think running a tubescreamer through a Pro Jr. get's really close to SRV tones, maybe better than the Blues Jr. Try them both, though. I would only consider the Super Champ if you think you'll use some of the other models frequently (metal, hard rock tones). Compared to the other two, it's kind of like a jack of all trades, master of none.
Quote by Stickymongoose
Personally, I think running a tubescreamer through a Pro Jr. get's really close to SRV tones, maybe better than the Blues Jr. Try them both, though. I would only consider the Super Champ if you think you'll use some of the other models frequently (metal, hard rock tones). Compared to the other two, it's kind of like a jack of all trades, master of none.

I can get fairly close using the Pro Junior and my Bad Monkey.
A TS and a strat would probably do a very good impression
The pro junior is a solid amp as well, I picked the BJr over it for the 12 inch speaker and the wealth of mods out there for it. The EQ is nice as well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not