Hello everyone,

Having a major buzzing issue with my amp. I am currently running a B52 triple rec and I am having some serious issues with noise.

When on clean there is a mild hiss, however, once I step on the distortion the thing starts hissing furiously and it is extremely loud. Funny thing, when I touch a finger to my 1/4 cable OR on the face of the amp, including any of it's knobs/switches, the hissing is reduced dramatically.

Yes, I have come to the conclusion that is a grounding issue. I have also deduced that it isn't my guitar(s).

What should/can I do? Aside from some of the more obvious answers like, "Ditch the B52 because it is crap". I've actually gigged and recorded quite a bit with my current amp set up but this issue is only getting worse so I need to do something ASAP.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you mucho
Crack it open, fix up the grounding (re solder it or whatever) and if you're using a CRT monitor/near a CRT TV, ditch them and get LCD dude.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
it could be the jack into your amp. or a tube could be bad. but resauldering is a good idea too.
Quote by Jesstaa
Crack it open, fix up the grounding (re solder it or whatever) and if you're using a CRT monitor/near a CRT TV, ditch them and get LCD dude.

So it is going to be a total pain in the ass? I'm not experienced enough to fix it myself unfortunately.

I'm sorry, I may be a bit of a noob. What a CRT monitor? CRT TV? I'm not sure what you mean by getting a LCD either. Sorry man thanks for the advice.
Quote by BlaketheHero
So it is going to be a total pain in the ass? I'm not experienced enough to fix it myself unfortunately.

I'm sorry, I may be a bit of a noob. What a CRT monitor? CRT TV? I'm not sure what you mean by getting a LCD either. Sorry man thanks for the advice.

CRT = Cathode Ray Tube (The big funky monitors/TVs)
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
When was the last time you changed the tubes?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Jesstaa
Do you realize how many connections to ground there are in an amp? It's not just one soldering job.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you've probably turned your gain too high.
Hm.. Well, I bought it in 2006 and it's been used regularly since then. I'm not sure if the tubes are going or not but since there is no loss of volume/tone/gain I'm guessing they are still good.

As for pushing the gain too high, I'm not positive if it is that either. Even on my clean channel you can hear noticeable hissing; though it is very quiet. Even with slight overdrive the hissing/buzzing is extremely present, and on high gain/heavy distortion; it is absolutely unbearable.

When I touch the strings, my 1/4 cable jacket/ the amp face or any of it's knobs/switches, it makes a small clicking sound and the buzz/hiss is reduced by at least 60 percent.

I'm going to go to a pro for this issue. Thanks for your advice ladies and gents.
Quote by BlaketheHero
Hello everyone,

Having a major buzzing issue with my amp. I am currently running a B52 triple rec and I am having some serious issues with noise.

When on clean there is a mild hiss, however, once I step on the distortion the thing starts hissing furiously and it is extremely loud. Funny thing, when I touch a finger to my 1/4 cable OR on the face of the amp, including any of it's knobs/switches, the hissing is reduced dramatically.

Yes, I have come to the conclusion that is a grounding issue. I have also deduced that it isn't my guitar(s).

What should/can I do? Aside from some of the more obvious answers like, "Ditch the B52 because it is crap". I've actually gigged and recorded quite a bit with my current amp set up but this issue is only getting worse so I need to do something ASAP.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you mucho

periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

He means a B-52 AT-112/212/100. To TS, these amps are pretty noisey, especially when you are close and you have the gain and volume too high. Turn down the gain and move farther from the amp.
TS did mention it hissing furiously with gain, and on cleans as well.

Since you say you don't have experience repairing amp, I'd take it to a shop with techs I trust and let them look at it. Heck, ask if you can watch them while you're at it.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
I have the same problem with my Randall Rh200 (solid-state) and was told the same grounding thing just today. He said if it does it with my fingers on the strings its a problem but it only does it when im not playing and fingers off the strings. Will it cost alot of money to fix and should i worry?
It depends, it's very hard to troubleshoot hum and noises because it can come from pretty much anywhere, it can be grounding issues, lead dress issues, a bad connection anywhere in the amp, or guitar.

It could just be that it's a noisy amp. It's not uncommon for some amps to just be excessively noisy. The noise going away when you touch the strings (or bridge or jack or anything metal on the amp) is perfectly normal. And yes, if you don't know what you're doing, don't take your amp apart, they can store charges of several hundred volts for long periods of time that can kill your ass.
Hey thanks for everyone's advice with this. I've recently lugged my rig around and I notice a big variable in this is the quality of the power in the different places I am setting up my amp. At my home = major buzzing. At my school = Hissing/buzzing is reduced significantly. At my studio = different than the other two places mentioned.

I'm doing a couple of things now to try to alleviate this problem

1. Changing/rebiasing my tubes
2. Checking basic grounding connections
3. Hoping for the best

I am definitely not going to be doing any major repairs on this amp considering I'd probably end up paying close to the amount I payed for the head originally.

Thanks again guys