Last May I did something to my wrist, part of my palm/bottom of my thumb. It hurt to play for about a week. The pain finally went away, and my hand was left getting very tired quickly. In October I went to see a doctor, and I was put on some anti-inflamatory drugs, as I had started to get little pains from a show I had played, which involved about 6-8 hours of rehersal daily and then three hours of playing for three nights the production was put on.
Now, the pain is gone, and I can play for a good three-four hours before my hand gets tired, it never hurts. However, my left wrist "pops". It doesn't make a sound but I can feel the popping. The doctor said it was a tendon "sliding" around on top of the bone, or something of the sort. They say I should ice it after any extended practice session, unfortuantly they wont give me a clear answer on whether I can keep playing, or if I do down the road I may do something disabling it completly.
I used to play with a very bent wrist, especially on F shaped bar chords, I am in the process of learning how to play with a straight wrist, and also keeping all my fingers as close to the fretboard as possible to try and prevent any further problems. I will be taking about a two year long absence from the guitar this may. Has anyone had similar problems? Can you still play. I love shred guitar, and I've begun to get into increasing my speed, but I'm still deciding if it's worth the risk of blowing out my hand.
Unfortunately, I really don't know if continuing to pursue just high technique levels will disable me in the long run. I'd rather be able to play guitar all my life, then be able to "play fast" for a few years and then have my hand immobile. I hope I made sense. Thanks.
Last edited by Shallon Dark at Feb 18, 2009,
You should always continue to play, even if you are dead.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
If it hurts, stop playing.

If it continually hurts even after you've finished or before you've started quit playing.

But look at Dave Mustaine. They told him he'd never be able to play guitar again. New album coming out soon >_>
It wouldn't hurt to ease up for a few months. I wouldn't stop playing but maybe take a break.

Practice theory and maybe explore other slower styles more, it might be even be good for you musically. Hope your hand starts to improve.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
It doesn't hurt to play. I am experiencing some tiredness, but that may be from getting back into it from the 4-6 month break I took since October.I mostly concerned that playing is sliding the tendon/cartilage around in my wrist, and is going to degenerate it to the point that it won't function. I'll look into Dave, and see what his symptoms were. I love it when "disabled" guitarists make it through, and usually their problems are worse, which gives me hope. Thanks for all the suggestions. I do need to work on my melodic content, and my chord library could use some expansion.
Last edited by Shallon Dark at Feb 18, 2009,
play less active stuuf maybe more melody use this as an oppertunity to diverse uur musical range and become a better more adaptable and diverse player
Quote by bapplebo

But look at Dave Mustaine. They told him he'd never be able to play guitar again. New album coming out soon >_>

Damit so close!!!

Jokes
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
Quote by TooFast
You should always continue to play, even if you are dead.

This.

Never stop, EVER. You'll regret it in the long run.
This may be off the wall a bit but what about learning keyboard? Not as a switch from guitar but as an alternative physical and musical thing. The way I see it, you learn theory better, probably compose better and give your wrist a break, thus avoiding RSI and building general strength and stamina. Lots of wins and very few losses.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

tl,dr

wuss, tony iommi got his f**king fingertips cut of and he still kept playing not to mention that he then created a whole new genre of music.

thats right, PWNED
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Hey valdean, nice avatar! Yes keep on playing, my wrist hurts now, but I keep on playing.