Ok so I finally got a job (Yay no MG for me) so I am currently saving for a tube combo around $700-1000 AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS. I play things like GnR, Old Metallica (think One verse and Enter sandman intro) and AC/DC, I also play things like Modest mouse so I need a pretty versatile amp.

My main choices so far have been the Blackheart Little giant ($750) or maybe Halfstack ($900) or maybe a Laney VC30 ($1100 but I've seen a few 2nd hand ones), Marshall DSL401 ($1300 it is a bit over so is it really worth it?), Randall RG-50TC ($900), Blackheart Handsome Devil ($1100), VOX AC15 ($1100), Bugera 333XL ($1050), Bugera 6260 ($1000).

Buying used is usually not an option, I rarely see any used amps for sale. Some are more then I was willing to spend but I can save for a bit longer.

PS. Sorry to everyone I offended in my MG topic, I was just sick of everyone telling me the same thing over and over and giving what everyone else said instead of their own opinion and starting flame wars with me.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Feb 18, 2009,
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
On ebay there is a Laney VC30 for $899 new.
Also www.bavasmusic.com.au sells bugera amps + more for really cheap.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Last edited by bucketmark at Feb 18, 2009,
I would prefer a place that is in Western Australia because buying online is not an option unless it drastically reduces the price. I have seen a few people selling Laney VC30s on www.kosmicforum.com.au.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
They sell the 6260 for $729.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Ok when I get some money I will tell my mum about it, she will only buy online if it saves a lot of money then buying it locally.

Also the 6260 and 333XL are copies of what? I forget. Also are they really unreliable?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
6260 is like the 5150 or something, its bit over kill for bedroom practice. 120 watts of tube ha
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Ok when I get some money I will tell my mum about it, she will only buy online if it saves a lot of money then buying it locally.

Also the 6260 and 333XL are copies of what? I forget. Also are they really unreliable?

6260=Peavey 5150/6505
6262=Peavey 5150 II/6505+
333= Peavey XXX
333XL= Peavey JSX

the only down fall to this amps are that 95% of the wiring on the insides are not soldered to the board. they use plastic connectors to attach wires to the board. so that means bad connections will prob happen. the main issue i have seen with this is that the connection between the tubes main and the outout transformer sometimes come loose. its an easy fix once you warranty is up. just clip the plastic clips off and solder the wires directly down to the board. Only do this if your warranty is up
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
id go with the 333xl............its a copy of the JSX the most versatile Peavey (IN MY OPINION)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
id go with the 333xl............its a copy of the JSX the most versatile Peavey (IN MY OPINION)

yeah for the dif styles of music he plays the 333XL would be the choice to go with.
if not that the 6262 is a good option
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Ok, I'll go with the 333XL, would it be worth redoing the solders when I get it or should I want a year until my warrenty is up, because I heard of Bugeras completely frying themselves after 2 or so months.

EDIT: Just looked and I think 120 watts 212 speakers would be a bit much for bedroom practice.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by random_B-RAD
Ok, I'll go with the 333XL, would it be worth redoing the solders when I get it or should I want a year until my warrenty is up, because I heard of Bugeras completely frying themselves after 2 or so months.

EDIT: Just looked and I think 120 watts 212 speakers would be a bit much for bedroom practice.

well from the looks of your sig you have a bedroom amp already. a Vypyr and another small amp.

i would wait till the warranty is up before you go messing with the insides. it will void the warrnaty if you do. im soldering everything once my warranty is up in april.
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by HouseBoy83
well from the looks of your sig you have a bedroom amp already. a Vypyr and another small amp.

The Squier I never use, it came in my starter package, the Vypyr is my main amp now but I am looking to upgrade to a tube amp, I would have thought 120 watts tube with 212" speakers would be way too loud for what I need.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
120w and 212 is a little too much IMO. I have heard some good thing about the Randall RG-50TC.
Gear: I haz some

Quote by RCA1186
hah its ok besa, i still love you

^ guess someone has too
I'll look at that, I can pick one up new for about $900 and I saw a person selling one used for $500 yesterday.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
The Squier I never use, it came in my starter package, the Vypyr is my main amp now but I am looking to upgrade to a tube amp, I would have thought 120 watts tube with 212" speakers would be way too loud for what I need.

i mean you can always use the vypyr for bedroom play and use the Bugera as your man amp for band practice and gigs. i mean you can turn it up to 2 and will be loud enough for gigs and drop it to 1 for practice and all. buts its all about what you want
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by HouseBoy83
i mean you can always use the vypyr for bedroom play and use the Bugera as your man amp for band practice and gigs. i mean you can turn it up to 2 and will be loud enough for gigs and drop it to 1 for practice and all. buts its all about what you want

I don't gig and I don't have a band.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Get a blackstar HT-5 combo $729 5 watt tube.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
Get a blackstar HT-5 combo $729 5 watt tube.

Beat me to it.

Blackstar HT-5 sounds perfect for your needs. Do yourself a favour and check it out, they friggin' rock.
Laney VC30 - no competition.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Can't get Blackstar in Aus.

I went to buy some guitar strings today and I tried out a few amps. I tried the VC30 and I didn't really like the OD chanel. I tried the 6260 combo and it was awesome but wayy to loud they made me turn it off when it was under 1. I also tried the 333XL head + bugera cab because they didn't have the 333XL combo, it was wayyy the loud.

I also tried out a MG halfstack and I managed to turn it to 8 before they told me to turn it off. It also failed epicly even with a digitech whammy and vox satcherator :P
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Feb 19, 2009,
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-Valve-212-40W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483067

Spider Valve combo. I've tried the halfstack and it was great, don't imagine much of a difference with a combo.

A SPIDER VALVE IS NOT A SPIDER II OR III
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by random_B-RAD
I don't gig and I don't have a band.

ohhh ok, well then the Bugera might be a bit much for what you need right now. maybe a VK 112 tube combo or something like that would be gould for you. i belive the amp is 50watts
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
I'll look into the spider valve but I don't like the name spider anymore.

With Musos corner are there any non-credit card ways of paying, my mum never uses her credit card online so I usually use my friends one but that is only for small things like games off steam.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD

inb4
6260 = 5150/6505
6262 = 5150 mk.II/6505+
333 = XXX
333XL = JSX

they are quite unreliable, but im sure you can get someone to take a look at it after you buy it. they're good amps, they might have more gain then you need. when you mentioned you played metallica, do you just need their clean tones? cause thats what it sounded like.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
^too late.......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^too late.......

im never inb4
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
How do you use tube amps? I'm sure with a blackstar halfstack I would accidentally turn it on some time without cabs plugged in a poof. What do you do with the standby switch? Do you have it on standby or off standby when your first turn it on. Also do speaker cables come with the blackstar ministack.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
How do you use tube amps? I'm sure with a blackstar halfstack I would accidentally turn it on some time without cabs plugged in a poof. What do you do with the standby switch? Do you have it on standby or off standby when your first turn it on. Also do speaker cables come with the blackstar ministack.

"plugged in a poof"? I'm not sure what that means...

As for the standby switch, essentially you leave that on for a minute while the tubes warm up when you turn it on before playing. Once a minute or so has passed you flick it off and push it all the way on. And if it's got the word stack in it it has at least one cab. If not, it's just a head.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
"plugged in a poof"? I'm not sure what that means...

As for the standby switch, essentially you leave that on for a minute while the tubes warm up when you turn it on before playing. Once a minute or so has passed you flick it off and push it all the way on. And if it's got the word stack in it it has at least one cab. If not, it's just a head.

People tell me if you turn on a head without a cab connected it dies.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
How do you use tube amps?

You use tube amps exactly the same way as every other amp, it's just the circuitry that's different

Quote by random_B-RAD

I'm sure with a blackstar halfstack I would accidentally turn it on some time without cabs plugged in a poof.

That an easy fix, don't unplug your head from your cab unless you're moving it, then plug it straight back in.

Quote by random_B-RAD

What do you do with the standby switch? Do you have it on standby or off standby when your first turn it on.

Have your amp in standby when you turn it on to warm the tubes up before playing

Quote by random_B-RAD

Also do speaker cables come with the blackstar ministack.

Yes, 2 speaker cables are included.