for the past five years i have been holding the pick in a way that has set my progress on guitar back. imagine holding a piece of paper by the corner in between your index finger and thumb in between the flat parts. that how i have been picking. the angle makes it very hard to pick properly and the pick slides out of my fingers. learning to change to a correct style of picking has been impossible, i keep subconsciously switching back. look at pictures of steve vai, petrucci, and most other guitarists, thats how i'm trying to learn to pick. any tips or anything that i can use to make learning a new picking technique easier? paul gilbert said once he had to relearn how to pick after playing for eight years, and look at him.
well, it shouldn't be to hard to relearn, just go slowly and pay attention to your picking hand.
It's not impossible to re-learn everything. For the first 1,5 years i used only downstrokes. It took about a half year for me to make the alternate picking more comfortable than the downstrokes only picking.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
THE most important thing in picking is to hold the pick parallel to the strings as far as possible. I used to hold it a little bit slant and it slipped out of my fingers everytime i shredded.
and hold it using varying levels of pressure. See if it helps.
I held my pick exactly the same way as you're describing for the first 11 years of my playing.
It just felt weird for a few weeks after changing. No biggie.
404: Sig not found.
I held my pick that way for 20 years. It's not impossible to be successful that way, but you will have to be aware of certain things and adjust to them. For one thing, your pick angle will likely be backwards from most people -- the back edge hits first on a down stroke, the top edge first on an upstroke.

If you're "subconsciously" switching, it follows you're not making much direct effort to change. That's what you'll have to do if you want to change it and it may take a while. If you came here looking for some other way than your own directed effort, I'm afraid to say there isn't any.