Page 1 of 2
Hi UG

I have recently spent lots of time training my left hand to gain strength and to become more accurate on the fret board, but am now finding that my Right hand almost can't keep up and I am finding it hard to pick fast/ consistant enough.

Do people spend time training your picking hand or does it just develope over time? and If so, are there any suggestions that you can make to help improve my picking speed/ accuracy.

Thanks in advance!

Liam
just do scales and train alternate picking
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
So just basic exersises that use alternate picking at different speeds with a metronome?
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. But yeah, with a metronome is good, and I found that playing 16th notes and switching between strings while playing them is a good exercise
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Watch instructional videos from Paul Gilbert. He focuses on right hand technique and training a lot.
Check out my band Disturbed
Training with 2 Note Per string scales, like the Minor Pentatonic REALLY helps, compared to 3 Note Per String and Chromatics.

So yeah, do your Minor Pentatonics ¬_¬
Do your major scales 16th note strict alternate picking, but instead of running straight p and down the scale, play the first four notes, e.g. C D E F, then play the another four but starting on the second note that you played the first time, so in the above example the next four notes would be D E F G then E F GA etc.
Quote by liam-rooney

Do people spend time training your picking hand or does it just develope over time?

Yes and yes.

If it's not under conscious control, what develops over time is random. If you're VERY lucky, random development hasn't developed a lot of bad habits and limitations.

Conscious control of your training focused on good habits, develops good technique pretty much always. So, that's what you'd likely want to do.
So basicaly, I need to do regular excersises going through scales slowly, using a metronome and using alternate picking?
And then It should start to catch up with my left hand if I reguarly do this?
Quote by liam-rooney
So basicaly, I need to do regular excersises going through scales slowly, using a metronome and using alternate picking?
And then It should start to catch up with my left hand if I reguarly do this?

The most important thing is to make sure both your hands are co-ordinated and in synchronicity, that's what you really need to work on, NOT speed.
Yea, I was only saying speed bacause My righ can't really keep up with my left hand, but I'll work on that
MAB said he spent a few years working specifically on his right hand.

Occasionally I just practice picking a song on open notes. just to see if I have the patterns right, but so far my hands have been even for the most part, So im sorry I cant relate.
Ok, Its just happened recently when I have been working on my left hand 'Too much' I think that If I just dedicate more time to alternate picking It should even out after a little while.
String skipping patterns help alot for right hand technique. Alt/Economy picking is pretty easy when you are just ascending or descending to the next string but when you have to skip one or more strings it is alot harder, at least for me.
I don't understand how you can train single hands. If you slow down, sync up and then build from there your hands should be the same surely?
Quote by blueriver
String skipping patterns help alot for right hand technique. Alt/Economy picking is pretty easy when you are just ascending or descending to the next string but when you have to skip one or more strings it is alot harder, at least for me.

Interestingly, I'm just the opposite. I can skip strings fairly easily at 100bpm. However, when I try to ascend/descend on consecutive strings, I can't do it. It's my inside picking. It's so dang difficult for me for some reason.

Yeah, TS, don't work on speed, work on acuraccy.
TS, are you by any chance a left handed person normally but play guitar right handed? I am and I have the same problem
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
TS, are you by any chance a left handed person normally but play guitar right handed? I am and I have the same problem

No im not
I will just carry on with picking exersises and I should be OK soon,
I took something on board from a book I have which has really helped bring my right-hand in line with my left.

It's a practice technique you do where you play very slowly and as you're counting "1, 2, 3, 4" for each note picked, you rest the pick against the side of the string on the 4, just before you play the note.
It sounds a little obvious in some respects, but it helps encourage you right hand to be where it needs to be.
404: Sig not found.
No you won't need too train ur right hand in terms of strength.

Good picking actually is using LESS muscle too strain. That's why alot of good shredders can alternate picking for hours until they get hungry or something.

Your left hand DOES need strength, because the muscles for those are usually not as strong.

Not so much still too be able to lift 100 kg of something on 1 finger

Just look at ur typing skills. You can probably type like 14 letters a second Same movement, and for some keyboards even needing as much force to press down a key as you need too press down a note on ur guitar.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Ok, Thanks again, and I opened that Ebook but it wont load , I will try again later.
Ok, I have now Downloaded that book and I will print it off, hopefully iy can help with more aspects of my playing than jusy picking (I haven't looked at it all yet.
Thanks for suggesting it to me
Quote by Orbit91
Training with 2 Note Per string scales, like the Minor Pentatonic REALLY helps

This is a good tip. It forces you to cross strings quicker than with your regular 3nps or chromatic licks (although these are good for developing hand sync), so don't neglect the 3nps and 4nps chromatics.

There is a 2nps pentatonic lick in Satriani's song "Super Collossal".

It is played in sextuplets at 90bpm. If you can work your way up to that, TS, then you're doing good.

Trust me, 90bpm may sound slow, but 2nps in sextuplets at this speed is tough. You'll have to start slow.
Last edited by mdc at Feb 19, 2009,
I find that simply playing your guitar on a regular basis is good for both the left and right hands.

Work on music, and deal with/fix problems when you encounter them. (this may include an exercise that focuses on the problem at hand)

It often seems like people are looking for that magical exercise that will "make them better", when the truth is that everything you need to develop technique wise can be gained simply by playing/working on music, and paying attention to what your doing.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 19, 2009,
the way i train my right hand is by having a 60 min to 90 min warm up. i do chromatics, octave exercises and a whole bunch of ****. by the end of it my hand is warmed up and the strings feel like butter. doing that for the past year and a half has helped a lot.
Quote by Freepower
^ to quote the great educator, Jamey Aebersold,

"The answers are all in your living room."

Meaning your record collection, TS.
Quote by Freepower
^ to quote the great educator, Jamey Aebersold,

"The answers are all in your living room."

Great quote

Quote by mdc
Meaning your record collection, TS.

Yep, exactly
no masturbating jokes? I know this isnt the pit , but we're still men!
Really though, i just have afew riffs i practice, papa roach's 'Last Resort' is a good one for alternate picking over several strings, it tidies up your picking
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Hi again, I have been carrying on with Alternate Picking scales with a metronome, and Im not sure if there is a real name for it, but alternate picking skiping stringsI have also found helpful,
And thank you for everyone who has suggested a technique, I didn't think I would get so many people helping me

Thanks
Liam
Of course you most train your right hand...do alternate picking with scales...make sure you always pick on the right time (i mean all the notes)
Quote by liam-rooney
Hi UG

I have recently spent lots of time training my left hand to gain strength and to become more accurate on the fret board, but am now finding that my Right hand almost can't keep up and I am finding it hard to pick fast/ consistant enough.

Do people spend time training your picking hand or does it just develope over time? and If so, are there any suggestions that you can make to help improve my picking speed/ accuracy.

Thanks in advance!

Liam

a lot of my practice is with alternate picking so i guess i am training that hand as well.
I would have argued that your right hand takes longer on average to train than your left hand. Legato can come quite easy to some players (when I first started to use legato I was doubting that I was doing it right because I found it quite easy to pick up), I really struggled with then trying to pick the notes that I was hammering on and pulling off.

Picking accuracy with the right hand can take a long time to get get good at (and confident at), and then trying to sync both hands will also take a while so I would recommend not training in terms of training your left hand then your right hand, but training techniques you are going to use. Meaning if you want to get good at legato then train legato, if you want to get good at fast picking then train picking and also fretting (practicing only picking on its own wouldn't be much use unless you are planning to pick alternate open strings fast).
Metronome is key for quality practice, because you can start it slow and keep it at the same speed or increase it, at your discretion. As for exercises, I find major and minor scales in ascending and descending positions keep your fingers limber. 4 note per string chromatics will build finger strength. And a quality string skipping practice is playing 3 note runs on a dropped D string then mirroring them on your natural D string. Just the thing my ear wants to hear, I suppose.

Cheers,
Mark
My Gear:
Ibanez RG1550MPBL
Heavily Modified Viper
Peavey 6505+
Peavey Mini Colossal

I wanna be like Gilbert, only Metal..ly..er..
Additionally, Michael Lee Firkins is the man...

Yeah.
Yep, I definately spend time focusing on my picking hand. But not for strength, cause it doesn't take a whole lot to move a little piece of plastic up and down.

I work quite a lot on my alternate picking - crossing/skipping strings, and on my timing/control - stuff like alternating between sextuplets and pentuplets every beat on an open string.

Mostly I use hard licks for exercises rather than pure exercises, but I will spend 15-20 minutes on this kind of stuff as a warm up.
Quote by xander307
no masturbating jokes? I know this isnt the pit , but we're still men!
Really though, i just have afew riffs i practice, papa roach's 'Last Resort' is a good one for alternate picking over several strings, it tidies up your picking

Lol finally someone said something about fapping
Page 1 of 2