Hey,

I'm looking to buy a new amp, here's some info.

- My budget is around £200 I play mainly rock/metal. Bands such as AC/DC, Linkin Park, Nickleback, Three days grace, Disturbed, Godsmack but I've been known to like some Son Of Dork (cheese, I know) and the likes when the mood takes me.
- I play mostly in my house, however I do like to have a few jamming sessions with friends, there's talk of starting a band as well.
- I have an Epiphone SG 400

I'm pretty much restricted to amps from this shop as it's the only place near me that sells new amps Hope this helps you give me suggestions. http://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk.

Thanks

Namyr
Last edited by Namyr at Feb 18, 2009,
Hmmm....Try a roland cube maybe.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
That shop dose not have a massive selection. But if you are looking for a versatile amp I would probably go with the Vox VT30 or Roland Cube30....
Roland Cube 30x

That was easy.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Nothing wrong with ordering amps from other companies though.
Dolphin Music, Andertons, GAK, Imuso... if you can get something cheaper from one of those.
No worries if anything's wrong with it when delivered; no quibble replacements and fast turn-around.
404: Sig not found.
I'm impressed with the quantity and speed of the responses!

I've just made a little edit as I found out I have an extra £100 lurking, waiting to be spent so my budget has gone upto £200 (give or take a little)

Would I need to purchase additional gear to record into/onto my computer? or would there happen to be an amp that boasts such a quality?

Thanks
Last edited by Namyr at Jul 21, 2009,
If you could bump it up to £250, you could get the peavey vypyr 75 watt, it comes with a USB recording interface built in! And it is a fantastic amp!

EDIT: I'm pretty certain that only the Vypyr's have this quality btw.
But if you did wanna record with a different amp, you'd have to buy a USB interface and a microphone, which can be between 30-100 for the mic, and around 50-anything for the interface.
Last edited by McShredder at Feb 18, 2009,
Definitely what McShredder said.
You could even in the future save up for the footswitch that goes with the Vypyr if you wanted.
Try to find a used Classic 30, they'll be way better than both the Cube and the Vypyr, and will be more than loud enough for jams and some gigs.
There is a fender champ 110 for £110 2nd hand in a local store too, are they any good?

To be honest I'm looking at a SS amp, I've heard there isn't all that much difference between the two except tube amps will cost me a fair amount of cash in the long run to keep working!
Tube amps (generally; there are always exceptions) are far better sound quality-wise.
SS sounds crap turned up loud (again, there are exceptions).

For the most part, SS for practice amp.. tube for jamming/gigging amp.
I'm tempted to go with McShredder'd suggestion, I'm sure I've seen a few Peavey amps around the store. With any luck they'll have the one I'm looking for.

EDIT: They apparently "don't touch those sort of amps, we have Marhsall though!" I really hate their attitude... alas they're the only real music store for 20 miles*sigh*
Quote by Namyr
There is a fender champ 110 for £110 2nd hand in a local store too, are they any good?
To be honest I'm looking at a SS amp, I've heard there isn't all that much difference between the two except tube amps will cost me a fair amount of cash in the long run to keep working!

The Champ is a very good amp, the model has varied over the years somewhat but they are good little tube amps. Probably one of the best bedroom tube amps avail. It is not voiced ideally for what you play but pedals could get it there for bedroom use.
The Vypyr, Vox VT and Roland Cubes are very good SS practice/bedroom amps. You are on the right track.
I made basicaly the same thread a couple of days ago (Not ranting), I had £200 and everyone convinced me to go with the Vypyr 30W, it was £150 from GAK and then If you want you can get one of the sanpera footswitches for around £50.
I haven't got it yet,(its in the post), but it has loads of affects/ distortions and a very nice amp in general, And its aparently very loud so it can do jams with your future band mates

Edit: I think if you do like the Vypyr 30/ 75, then its worth ordering it online from a respectable website instead of getting an amp from your local shop only because there is nothing else...
Last edited by liam-rooney at Feb 18, 2009,
^+1
Peavey Vypyr +Sanpera II = all the gear you need (effects,stompboxes,tuner,looper,wah,etc.)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me