Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,
I looking for a good tube amp suitable to play eric jhonson stuff, slash, paul gilbert, satriani and steve vai for home use.
Help me to choose plz?
How loud are we talking? Jam-worthy or just alone practice? Also, is one volume knob fine or do you want more control?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
How loud are we talking? Jam-worthy or just alone practice? Also, is one volume knob fine or do you want more control?

Just home practice and one volume knob will do it.
anything under 50W will work
but as far as which amp, your on your own
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Really sounds like a job for the Blackheart Little Giant! Well suited for the slash, eric johnson e.t.c.

To get more specifically suited Paul Gilbert and Vai tone, you might wanna consider the Laney LC15 or VC15 (my old LC15R was fantastic for gilbert and vai tones).

The blackheart will be great all round tho.
Quote by rocker313
400$

Look at the Blackheart Handsome Devil + OD pedal. They are great amps for the price, loud enough for band practice and small gigs, and they'll do all of the bands you listed really well with an OD like a Tubescreamer. Definitely worth a look!

Edit: If you want to ONLY play at home, the Little Giant will do fine, as will the Blackstar.
Last edited by GNRjungle87 at Feb 18, 2009,
Blackstar HT-5.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Blues Jr? Youd need a pedal but these babies are nice. Also look at the Crate V-Series, theyre back ordered right now but dirt cheap, as in under $200 for just about all of them.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Aaaah, the blackstar, i forgot about it!!

Also a great amp!! Looks like a showdown of pure preference here!
If you play more stuff with gain; Blackstar.

If you play more cleans and are fine with getting a pedal or two to achieve the aforementioned artist's driven tones; Blues Jr.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
I will use the amp only without pedals so i keep the Laney LC15 VC15 and Blackstar HT-5. What do you think?
What Peavey Valveking, Will it be better than blackstar or Laney for home practice for the styles i want to play?
I'd get the vypyr 60 watt tube. It's around your price range. It has some great tones on it for the type of stuff you want to play. You can't really tell it's a hybrid amp. Plus the power section is all tube so you got that tube tone you're wanting and you can play on low levels. I'm just not a fan of the blackheart. Or valve jr or anything like that.
Quote by rocker313
What Peavey Valveking, Will it be better than blackstar or Laney for home practice for the styles i want to play?

The valveking just sucks. Plus it don't sound good at all without it being turned up. Most tube amps don't sound good unless they are loud to me. With power tube saturation. But the vypyr has worked out a system of having a post gain knob with a master volume so it works. You can crank your post gain and turn your master down. Seems to help.
Blackstar= thrashy gains
Blackheart= aerosmithish OD
Blackheart + OD + tube change + (optional) Bitmo Mod ($35) = GNR, Metallica.........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by wjhender
Good luck finding an ht5. Seem to be sold out everywhere till April

They haven't even hit Chicago yet. NY has them in stock, so do other parts of the world. Something worth having is worth waiting for, at least it's worth waiting to try it out.
Which would you like?

The Peavey Windsor half stack sells for $399 + $69 ship from MF. The Blackheart Handsome Devil with the BH112 cab was $520 also from MF.

No they're not for sale but I think the BH Little Giant would be great for you.

Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
old rocker, how you like your windsor? I just bought one myself, so far am happy with it.
^ im not him but i played both of the amps in his Pic
i hated the Windsor.......but i LOVED the blackheart.....
feel free to add me
Just sold my Windsor... that thing gets obnoxious after a while. I learned to regard that tone as a nagging wife. Always the same ****. No matter what pedals and settings I used it was always the same. Though as with all amps, if you like it, then you like it, just don't expect versatility. I haven't played the combos though, maybe they're ok?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by hcsn2008
I'd get the vypyr 60 watt tube. It's around your price range. It has some great tones on it for the type of stuff you want to play. You can't really tell it's a hybrid amp. Plus the power section is all tube so you got that tube tone you're wanting and you can play on low levels. I'm just not a fan of the blackheart. Or valve jr or anything like that.

Sounds cool but 60w is way too much for home practice no? that neighboors will jump from their bed.
Quote by tubetime86
I haven't played the combos though, maybe they're ok?

I thought the stack was much better than the combo, fwiw. "Stale" is my best one word description.
Ya, "stale" definitely says it. I was using "tinny" or "thin". And occasionally "****ty" or "i f****** hate this f****** thing."
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The Windsor sounds pretty good. Yes, there's that "British" tone and you can't do much with it but I bought a MASS200 attenuator and that helps a lot. Takes away some of the creaminess in of the tone.

I bought the BHHD head to play on the 4x12 (so I won't be stuck with the Windsor head ha ha) and later got a BH112 cab for it.

Funny thing is I don't want to get rid of the Peavey. I like it.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Ya if I had something for cleans, and for modern overdrive I would have loved it, but its not a stand alone amp, at least unless you tour with AC-DC.

BTW hows the Handsome Devil on the 4x12 compared to the 1x12. I have the Blackheart 1x12 running on my V33, and I'm wondering what adding another 1x12 or buying a 2x12/4x12 might do?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by rocker313
Sounds cool but 60w is way too much for home practice no? that neighboors will jump from their bed.

Well that's where peavey done it right though. They worked out a system where you can play the 60 watt tube version at low volumes. Basically you have a post gain control and a master volume. So you can actually turn up and use a lot of post gain while having your master volume down so the thing sounds awesome even at very low volume. You still get that good tube sound. It's really thick. I've never heard an amp that thick at low volume. And then it will go really loud. I mean you could easily get over a drummer when you turn it up. So it all works out with this amp. So basically if you want tube tone at bedroom levels and an amp you can record with and use with a band this is the amp. It's the ultimate bedroom amp imo. I've barely played my 6505 at home anymore since I've gotten this thing. For a while I was lugging the 6505 to band practice and home now I just leave the 6505 down there. I mean I get about the exact tone out of the vypyr.
Quote by tubetime86
Ya if I had something for cleans, and for modern overdrive I would have loved it, but its not a stand alone amp, at least unless you tour with AC-DC.

BTW hows the Handsome Devil on the 4x12 compared to the 1x12. I have the Blackheart 1x12 running on my V33, and I'm wondering what adding another 1x12 or buying a 2x12/4x12 might do?

A lot of times that helps a lot especially in a band situation. It also appears to be much louder although technically people will tell you adding a cab does not make it louder. But what happens is the 4 speakers blowing at you and going at those directions besides just that one speaker it sounds way louder. When I plug up a 4x12 to my vypyr at the same volume I use with just the 1x12 it sounds a lot louder and also goes over a drummer much easier.
Quote by hcsn2008
A lot of times that helps a lot especially in a band situation. It also appears to be much louder although technically people will tell you adding a cab does not make it louder. But what happens is the 4 speakers blowing at you and going at those directions besides just that one speaker it sounds way louder. When I plug up a 4x12 to my vypyr at the same volume I use with just the 1x12 it sounds a lot louder and also goes over a drummer much easier.

Ditto.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by hcsn2008

I love particulary Slach and steve vai tones so do you think peavey vypyr tube 60w is better than the blackstar HT5.
Last edited by rocker313 at Feb 18, 2009,
Obviously the HT-5 hasn't been out long enough to say for sure. Time will tell.

But I've never had even a whiff of a problem with mine, totally solid.

Infact I've never heard any reports of one breaking down, needing to be returned, serviced or fixed so thats a plus.
Quote by Jaksar
Obviously the HT-5 hasn't been out long enough to say for sure. Time will tell.

But I've never had even a whiff of a problem with mine, totally solid.

Infact I've never heard any reports of one breaking down, needing to be returned, serviced or fixed so thats a plus.

I mean How much genrally a tube amp can last? and if it depends on its power (wattage)?
^no
if its parts are not plastic garbage (BUGERA) and if the Builder is a well known and respecter manufacturer(Peavey,Mesa,Marshall) then it will last you for years............
feel free to add me
Page 1 of 2