Page 1 of 2
No, I'm not gay.
That you want a career as a musician? They constantly try and stop me taking music as a GCSE, and are now using the fact I have GCSEs in a years time as a reason not to do anything musical, telling me i should work towards becoming an accountant. I asked them if I'm allowed to post an ad on the internet saying I'm looking for a band, and they tell me that I'm not allowed a band until I've finished my GCSEs, because having a band will make me fail, despite being top set for everything excluding maths - which I'm in extension set. They use my GCSEs as an excuse to stop me doing just about anything - playing guitar as much as I used to, using the internet for more than an hour a day and I don't even start the GCSEs until next year anyway. I didn't really care, because they let me go busking - as long as I don't tell them I'm saving for a new amp. But telling me I'm not allowed a band and repeatedly telling me wanting to have a career with guitar 'it's a waste of time and effort, and metal is **** anyway' is really beginning to piss me off.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Maybe it´s because they are right?
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Like this:

"Mom, dad, I'm gonna be a rockstar. If you don't support me, I'll form band called 'Decaptitated Babies'"

I wonder if that's already a band name...
Last edited by Powerhouse at Feb 18, 2009,
that's simply idiotic, playing music and being in a band gives you plenty of skills that are needed in the real world, creativity, initiative when looking for gigs, business, in terms of selling your music.
Hell, I learned more about life when I was in my band trying to promote our music than I did in my entire time at school.
Why do they want you to be an accountant? because they think it's a "well-paying, safe" job?
GCSEs.

All you gotta do, is get 5 A* to C's.

After that they mean very little if anything.

"work towards becoming an accountant"

Bastards. Nothing else to say.

Quote by CoreysMonster
that's simply idiotic, playing music and being in a band gives you plenty of skills that are needed in the real world, creativity, initiative when looking for gigs, business, in terms of selling your music.
Hell, I learned more about life when I was in my band trying to promote our music than I did in my entire time at school.
Why do they want you to be an accountant? because they think it's a "well-paying, safe" job?

Well said bro.
Threadjack: How the fuck do I tell my parents that I'm gay??
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
On a certain level, they're entitled to be distgruntled you want to be a musician as it's hardly a secure job. They're just looking out for you. But as long as you're keeping your options open, doing well in school and so on - it shouldn't really be a problem.
Quote by CoreysMonster

exactly that.

i want a career i want not what they want, but there so desperate to have someone in the family have a 'well-paying, safe' job that they just wont let me

Quote by jgbsmith
Threadjack: How the fuck do I tell my parents that I'm gay??

Make a powerpoint presentation and some crude but handy helpers out of playdough.
Your parents are trying to do whats best for you.

I went through a similar thing, and had similar (a lot more aggressive) reactions to you.

Now i'm older and have moved out, i see their reasoning, and am grateful for their love. Even though i do still see their actions as wrong.
Yes, they were trying for the wrong thing, and i did what i wanted myself anyway, you've gotta understand that they're doing their best to ensure you have a good life. A rich one.

Maybe they just dont realise that you truly do mean to have a career in music (in which i wish you GOOD LUCK!!), they're trying to lay foundations for your life.

All i can say, is try to do everything YOU want to do, and still do ****ing well in those exams.

My stepdad bought me my favourite guitar for doing well in mine.

And i love that guitar more than almost anything these days.

Try coming to a similar agreement with them!
Say 'MUM, DAD, CREDIT CRUNCH!!! ACCOUNTING IS NOT A SAFE JOB ANYMORE!!!!'

Then smash some plates with a hammer, pull out your crack pipe and refer to your grandparents as 'arse-rocking fuckpieces.' That should get the message across.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
you tell them to go **** themselves, although maybe not quite in those words.

"work towards becoming an accountant" bugger that say that's not what you're interested in.

It's been said already but GCSEs seem like a really big thing at the time but really they mean nothing so long as you get a few decent grades and stay in education they won't mean anything against more advanced qualifications like A-levels etc.
Quote by dudeman_andy
find them,

and dropkick them.
Quote by Jackolas
Make a powerpoint presentation and some crude but handy helpers out of playdough.

After all this, the answer is so simple, thank you Jackolas, thank you.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Tomaz24
On a certain level, they're entitled to be distgruntled you want to be a musician as it's hardly a secure job. They're just looking out for you. But as long as you're keeping your options open, doing well in school and so on - it shouldn't really be a problem.

+1, but seriously, of all jobs to want him to pursue, a freaking accountant?? why not an engineer, it's more interesting and you are certain to get a job later that pays a buttload of money.
Quote by metallicafan616
exactly that.

i want a career i want not what they want, but there so desperate to have someone in the family have a 'well-paying, safe' job that they just wont let me

I find it funny they want you to get involved with the financial system when it's such a sorry mess.

Quote by jgbsmith
After all this, the answer is so simple, thank you Jackolas, thank you.

Just doing my bit.
what do you want to be in your career?
a teacher or in a band?
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by akm_202
what do you want to be in your career?
a teacher or in a band?

both, preferably touring band though.

you're good at everything except maths so your parents want you to be an accountant.

your parents are being petty i was in a band during my GCSEs and had several gigs over the exam period and still came out with nothing lower than an A. If anything it helped me get those results because i was constantly working, i didn't have the time to stop and be lazy.

however they are right about wanting a career playing metal. it's just not going to happen. even if you get into a metal band that gets signed to a major you're still going to end up in more debt than you can manage unless you get big like trivium or coheed + cambria. (i'm not using metallica because they were from a different generation of the music industry)

the only realistic way to earn a living as a guitarist is teaching and session work. (note the AND, you won't make enough money to survive doing just one)

your parents only want what's best for you but in the long run it's down to you, just don't be stupid and pin all your hopes on getting famous and rich
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by metallicafan616
exactly that.

sorry but if your parents think that ANY career you pursue is going to give you a well-paying, safe job, then your parents themselves have no idea about the real world.

if you really want a career as a musician, you have to have a plan B, obviously, because or else you're gonna end up poor and miserable if you mess up, but that is your choice, not your parents'.

another thing, they'd rather you be unhappy and miserable working a job you hate for the rest of your life than maybe not having that much money, but being happy?
I find it ironic that parents who "want the best" for their child often pressure them so much they make their kids miserable, has anyone ever thought maybe the parents want the best for themselves and their reputation as parents
Quote by dudeman_andy
find them,

and dropkick them.
Luckily my parents have never been like that.
When I did my GCSE's they just said do your best and despite only revising for music I did pretty well. And regarding being in a band, they told me that as long as I have enough money to live off then they're happy with what I'm doing.

But I know a lot of people in your situation and it really bugs me when their parents are like that. I understand they want the best for their kids, but sometimes the best isn't maximum education and a high-paid job.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
You could use the banhammer on your parents.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by skater dan0
you're good at everything except maths so your parents want you to be an accountant.

no, im in the group who are doing GCSE work in year 9

and i want to be famous, living doing what i want, not rich.

Quote by skater dan0

your parents are being petty i was in a band during my GCSEs and had several gigs over the exam period and still came out with nothing lower than an A. If anything it helped me get those results because i was constantly working, i didn't have the time to stop and be lazy.

however they are right about wanting a career playing metal. it's just not going to happen. even if you get into a metal band that gets signed to a major you're still going to end up in more debt than you can manage unless you get big like trivium or coheed + cambria. (i'm not using metallica because they were from a different generation of the music industry)

the only realistic way to earn a living as a guitarist is teaching and session work. (note the AND, you won't make enough money to survive doing just one)

your parents only want what's best for you but in the long run it's down to you, just don't be stupid and pin all your hopes on getting famous and rich

very wise words.

I heard that Meshuggah are so poor and make so little money off of touring they have to pull unemployment money every couple of years, and those guys have been around since the 80's. in fact I think it was in an interview with their guitarist that I read that.
Quote by metallicafan616
no, im in the group who are doing GCSE work in year 9

and i want to be famous, living doing what i want, not rich.

Bloody hell you're only in year 9? They are being ridiculous, you'll make your own mind up in your own time.

Also GCSE's are ****ing easy, they are the best time to be in a band because the workload is pretty much non-existant. A-levels are more of a step-up if you want to do well and then you might not have time for a band with part-time work, I know I barely manage it.

And anyway, like someone before said, you work at your best when you are busy.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Quote by entity0009
Question: are your parents by any chance strictly religious?

not anymore.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
Being in a band and being in a successful band are not the same thing.

You're right. It's the difference between living in a box behind your local Thrift store and living in a box behind WalMart.

Just tell your parents it's a hobby.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
They are jsut looking out for you. I wish i done better in my gcse's
but now im lucky enough to have a fairly good job (that pays for my gear and car :p and still keep up with my musical commitments.
Point being, do what you want to do, but if youve got a good set of gcse's youve always got a fallback if things dont work out. But GCSE standard at year 9? hell, go and rock out kid
'Always outnumbed, never outgunned'
PSN + XBL: Jimsworthy

Charvel So-Cal ProMod Black
Ibanez RG350Dx W/ Duncans
Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah II
Simple.

Take the GCSE for music anyway, and instead of forming a band, buy some recording equpiment and record and mix an entire album by yourself. Release it on MySpazz, and then you'll get loads of people going: ZOMGZ YOU DID THAT ALL BY YOURSELF?! THAT'S SO COOOOOOL! YOU'RE AMAZING!

Show said comments to parents, then they should let you form a band.
Who said playing guitar is about becoming famous and rich? Who said the only way to living a good life is thru being rich and famous, or just rich?

You guys are dip****s.
The times they are a changin'.....
most people who play an instrument would love to make a career out of it, but only 1 in thousands of us will make it. listen to your parents, there doing you good, i wish i did and now im stuck in a deadend warehouse job
Quote by Italy's Finest
Who said playing guitar is about becoming famous and rich? Who said the only way to living a good life is thru being rich and famous, or just rich?

You guys are dip****s.

if he wants to make a living out of playing music, the highest goal obviously is to make music that not only you, but millions of other people like as well.

and no one said that you need to be rich and famous, but if you're gonna make music for a living you better make sure that people like it, because playing guitar isn't going to pay the bills.
Page 1 of 2