Page 1 of 2
Just been browsing facebook and I saw a group for my hometown, Cleckheaton's infamous 'Kylie Man'. He is kind of an urban legend around our area, constantly shouting at school girls and talking to himself on the bus. Always wearing either a Leeds Utd shirt or a Kylie '94 tour T-shirt. Despite doing nothing but be extremely strange he's become kind of famous lol. Any sightings are instantly noted in a kind of 'where's wally?' fashion. Usually seen down the local wetherspoons enjoying a pint from his own Leeds Utd glass.

just for the record here's the facebook page lol
http://www.facebook.com/groups.php#/group.php?gid=13511515450

Here's an article on other such local legends
http://www.wired.com/entertainment/theweb/news/2008/04/urban_eccentrics

The question is, do any of you guys have a local legend? provide details, stories, facebook groups, pictures etc
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Geoff, a legend of the Bristol live music scene. Wherever there are gigs, there he will be, jumping up and down at the front of the crowd, his big hair bouncing around and his arms in the air. The guys a true legend.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
We've got "Market Dave" a homeless guy in Altrincham, Manchester who generally pushes round his shopping trolley of possessions (upon which someone spray painted "Pimp My Ride" on the side, lol).

Morrissey used to live on the street parallel to mine.
The Amtam Man. He rides the bus all day long, it's a circular route so he never has to get off. He sings this song under his breath, which goes "Am tam am tam tam tam. Am tam am tam tam tam".

Turkey Guy, who frequently holds telephone conversations in Turkey. No, not Turkish, he actually goes "Waagobblegobblegobble" over the phone.
🙈 🙉 🙊
nobody else knows him but my friend levi is literally the most amazing guitarist iver ever like seriously known.
I suppose another one to add would be 'HMV Rasta Guy' from Leeds

The guy has had a rug outside leeds where he sells random **** such as tupac posters and 50 cent t-shirts for as long as anyone can remember.
His 'real' business is selling weed though lol
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
We've got some guy called Steve (I think). He's completely off his rocker, he usually is on the bus back/to to Liverpool City centre although he's on the bus to where I live a lot too, unfortunately he lives the next stop along the route...

He shows people pointless articles in the newspaper that he has, which is about 6, 7 months old, he humps his bike (No joke, he did it in front of my entire school bus full of 12 and 13 year olds at the time) and if you ignore him when he talks to you (which he will) he starts slapping you on the arm and screaming hysterically at you like he's on fire or something.

Very strange but my god, hilarious when you're the one watching him annoy other people. I've had him on the bus back from Liverpool a few times and epic lulz have always ensued.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

We also have a guy who spends all day wandering around Bristol ranting into his mobile. He dropped it by me at the bus stop once and I got a look at the screen, it was turned off, he picked it up and carried on talking.

There's the guy who begs around the city centre, he makes his money by asking people to give him 6 words off the top of his head and then he makes a poem out of them. He's actually really good.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

The tramp on the ring road.

He was a tramp who lived in a tent on the central reservation of the ring road.
He died last year. It was in the papers and everything.

RIP tramp on the ring road.
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf
one dream of mine is to play baroque and roll.

i dont quite know what it is, but i assume it involves plenty of harpsichord solos and medieval chanting.

Tom Glavine baby!!
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
There was charlie the tramp.
He had a house,but he always begging and living off the streets..
He was always drunk, but now he's gone.

Also we had the gun guy..
He's gone as well now.
He would pretend to have a shoot out with people, and if you shot him back he would pretend to die.
He also went around playing the air guitar.
Theres a couple from my local areas, we have;

Swivelhead Ted- Guy with a lazy eye and a nervous twitch, yet also a flipping dangerous guy

Fat Lady- Nobody really has one specific name about this lady, but everyone knows who they are referring to, this woman has got to be at least a size 20-22 (im not really good when it comes to big sizes, UK dressize), morbidly obese, and yet she wears clothes that are at most 14, her tops are like lycra they are so tight, but they are so small they rise and they end up being worn like boobtube-esque tops, so her whole gut is on show. The small sizes also are included in her jeans, which are so tight the thread starts splitting, and they end up being worn like hipster super tight jeans.

Pick'a penny Pete - A guy that walks around in the local town picking up any loose change in a bucket which he has made in to some kind of collection bucket by taping the top off and only leaving a slot for the coins to go in.
Kenny Powers.
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
Quote by neopowell
Geoff, a legend of the Bristol live music scene. Wherever there are gigs, there he will be, jumping up and down at the front of the crowd, his big hair bouncing around and his arms in the air. The guys a true legend.

I'd say Sapphire is more famous; the black crossdresser whom everybody in Bristol seems to know.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
When I was a kid, there used to be this little fat old tramp who didn't appear to have a neck that the locals called Toby Jug who used to somehow get into any social function that was happening and then somehow get into the line up of the obligitory 'official photo' of the function that would appear in the local newspaper.

Then there was Johnny B. Goode (named after the Chuck Berry song that he continuously sang to himself)
Johnny was something special, a real goofball but very amiable and I used to talk to him whenever I met him. He had a great big beard and wore cut off jeans, pit boots, a Clint Eastwood style poncho and about a dozen lightbulbs on a string around his neck.
He'd stand next to the road and just wave at passing cars, and one day, I asked him why he did it. He said 'Watch!' and he waved at a car, and everyone in the car waved back, then he said 'That's why, because I've just made friends with those people and they'll never forget me.'
Everyone assumed he was just an exentric tramp.
Every year he traveled to Stonehenge for summer solstice, then one year, Stonehenge was shut to all visitors because it was being damaged by all the new age weirdos, Johnny wasn't allowed near the Stones along with thousands of other people.
Johnny returned home depressed and threw himself on the railway lines, he died in hospital a couple of days later with severed legs and in a coma.
His story was told in the local newspaper and it turned out that he had been a miner that had gone to work in Canada, made a lot of money working hard and saving but was then involved in a cave in. The experience triggered something in him, he suffered a complete breakdown and moved back to England.
His house was apparently decorated with newspaper instead of wallpaper, but was spotlessly clean, but the biggest revelation about him turned out to be his bank account and his will, he had about £700,000 in his account and had willed it all to a local school for handicapped children.

The day after the newspaper report, it was Johnny's funeral, he had no family but in exess of 400 people turned up to pay there respects.
I asked a family (mum, dad and two kids) how they knew him and they said 'Well we didn't really, we just used to see him waving at cars as we drove by and whenever we saw him we'd say ''Look kids, it's Johnny, everybody wave!'
The kids had read the newspaper report and actualy asked their parents to take them to the funeral, and that was apparently a similar story to everyone elses at the funeral because as I said, he had no family. They'd just been touched by this silly little guy with the beard and poncho and light bulbs who used to raise a smile while they were stuck in traffic or made their children's day.
I remember thionking about what Johnny had once told me about making friends and thought 'Damn, the silly little bugger was right!'

Me and a couple of mates walked home from the funeral and just for that one day, we waved at every passing car we saw.
Quote by jesusgonewrong
I'd say Sapphire is more famous; the black crossdresser whom everybody in Bristol seems to know.

How the hell did I manage to forget about Sapphire?

I miss the 'geusapahnd' guy from Fishponds.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Quote by Kensai
Quote by Zero-Hartman

the drunk tramp who wears a kilt in Hanley, and another tramp who walks into one of the music shops as soon as it opens every day and stinks the place out haha

EDIT: Also the west indian guy known as the captain, who has about 4 teeth and got jailed for dealing heroin
Last edited by Matt-92 at Feb 18, 2009,
Oh I just thought, I know of one from somewhere else.

A guy that calls himself Elvis, from Boston near Skegness. All he does is talk about punk whilst spraying spit on you.

Niiiiice!
404: Sig not found.
Me.

Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
http://www.norwichpuppetman.co.uk

Check out the videos.

He's been on TV, in the newspapers. The media love him, i'm not so much of a fan.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
We don't have one.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
We have two. Beltbuckle chuck walks around in cowboy boots, Wranglers, a huge "Don't mess with Texas" belt buckle and a cowboy hat. And last year he walked around the Jr. High School for a few hours with a BB gun.

Then we have Subway Ricky, who looks and talks like Jack Black because he fried his brain on acid and LSD. Anytime you order American cheese on a sub, he says "Yeah, because you're American!"
Quote by captaincrunk
You are a slave who is looking for a master, and I hope he beats you.

Quote by rmr024
Toaster ovens are fucking amazing, I don't really see where you were going with that...
Johnny Smith lives in my town. He's a famous jazz guitarist. He actually singed my chord dictionary/book when I started guitar.
Check out my band Disturbed
The biggest legend that came out of Pittsburgh is Donnie Iris.

No one can match up to his nerdy awesomeness. He can scream like a ****ing banshee though....
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
nottingham has a few, there used to be a guy who'd just jam on kiddies type xylophone but died a couple of years ago, i think he has a plaque or somthing outside a bank or h&m i dont remember. thens theres stereotypical buskers such as saxaphone guy with sunglasess, black blues guitarist and the one armed guitarist who plays with a comb or something strapped to his stump with elastic bands.
Sting lived not a 5 minute drive from me in his youth
so did shearer
Joe Flacco, quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens. He graduated from my high school in 2003. He lived about 6 streets away from me. My dad used to coach him and I knew his whole family. They are known for playing a lot of sports all the time. Small world eh?
Page 1 of 2