Ok so i currently have a jcm900 and have been umming and arring about whether to sell it or not. I love the amp, i really do but its a 100watt combo, not suitable for home playing, its cleans arent nice enough to play gigs with and tbh im not a huge user of marshall crunch anymore (i play in a sort of alt rock, metal band). So i am going to sell it. (if your in the uk and have any offers, please go ahead).

So today i went to the guitar shops around bristol and tried a few amps that were lying around. Namely a traynor.......cant remember the name of it, its an 85watt combo, and i do really like it. A Fender deville was next, i prefered the 4X10 version but still wasnt blown away. Next was a hiwatt hi-gain 50 watt that was really nice, orange sounding almost and then in the corner of one of the shops stood this bogner alchemist half stack. I know the name has a good reputation but knowing nothing of them i thought wat the hell! and tried it.

Wow, that thing sounds good. I was expecting the cleans to lack tone, the didnt. I was expecting the gain to be too metally, it wasnt. Even the on board delay was a delight to play, which i must confess shocked me the most.

I did really like this amp, but im worried that at a measly 40watts it wont be loud enough for the gigs i have planned. (iv just joined up with some guys and possibly have some big things lined up).

What do you guys think then?
Anyone want to share theyre experiences?

The other amp im hankering after is the orange rockerverb 50, which i intend to try out next week. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Any comments welcome,

tobz
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
I think The Alchemist will do just fine at 40w. I was playing it on the 20w setting and with the volume around 10 o clock and it was still pretty loud! What kind of music are you playing?
^ that
and your full budget for an amp
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
It's loud enough, unless maybe if you happen to be in a stadium of 40.000 people. But most remotely professional venues will mic the amps anyway so you're fine in any situation.
Well i play alt rock/metal. Ranging from cool clean staccato rhythms like incubus, to psychy heavy distortion found on pumpkins records to the all out brutality of bands like slipknot. My style is somewhere in the middle if that makes any sense haha.

And budget is well, dependsing on how much i get for my marshall but i would say, £1000 ish, i could go higher but i dont really want too if at all possible.

I like to have an amp that has more distortion than i will ever need, so i can always pull out of the bag if needs be, hence why i like the sound of the rockerverb. The dist on the bogner was pretty intense though!
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
^ i didnt like the Bogner for Slipknot stuff but its your ears.........

BTW is the 1000 for both CAB and HEAD???
feel free to add me
Get a Laney Gh50L and a 2x12 cab. More distortion you will ever need, perfect quality, and sounds good, too
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Last edited by OrangeWalls at Feb 18, 2009,
yeh its 1000 for both but tbh i am looking at more of a combo direction. The alchemist was just under a grand for the two..........
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Toby's post regarding music styles: Aye, unfortunately I didn't get to thoroughly demo the Alchemist, at best I was able to get out a nice 80's thrash tone from it. I heard it can do Modern Metal without an OD though. How much does the Rockerverb go for?

You should also look into some other High gain amps that are within your budget.
Last edited by solitaryshell90 at Feb 18, 2009,
^^ i didnt like the alchemist for the Heavy stuff when i played it........but if you play some slipknot Jim Root uses the Rockerverb 50 and they can be pretty heavy.....
and have you looked on some Peaveys the JSX, 6505+ can be good for what you play......

and i have no comment on Laneys since i have never played one......

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR AMP PURCHASE
feel free to add me
Quote by OrangeWalls
Get a Laney Gh50L and a 2x12 cab. More distortion you will ever need, perfect quality, and has more gain you'll ever need

Gain=/=Tone.
Quote by Horlicks
Gain=/=Tone.

Yeah, but he wanted to have an amp with more distortion he will ever need

thats why i suggested a Gh50L. It has more gain he will ever need, and it sounds good, too.

EDIT: Fixed my wierd sentence. Sry, haven't slept enough today
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Last edited by OrangeWalls at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by Horlicks
Gain=/=Tone.

oh from what i hear the laney has all the tone you'd want/need, too

I want to try one someday

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I'd go with the Alchemist. I really enjoyed playing it.

Around the same price you might be able to get a Kerry King Marshall. they're a good bit darker than your average run of the mill Marshall, I dunno about the cleans though.

Laney seems like a very nice option as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by mcrfobtai
I think I may be the only person who didn't like the Alchemist. Maybe I need to play it again

+1
LOL ok well are there any other suggestions?

And also does anyone know the best means of getting shut of an amp through the internet, iv paraded many classifieds but is there one thats better than the rest?
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
I have trouble recommending gear for guys in UK, the price differences are insane. Sorry bro!
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio